Author Topic: Fitzmagic  (Read 244407 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Fitzmagic
« Reply #495 on: November 03, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
the team wasn't deflated, the D was awful like they have been all but 2 halves the last 3 weeks.

Pretty sure that was inferred by numerous sources, well if not deflated at least not entirely enthused with #7 under center, call it what you will. Geno had to take a stupid hit like he did on the sideline to get the teams confidence back, I honestly think that was for the team because it was freaking stupid. Overall, I think you can kind of tell the team doesn't really like him much.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #496 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »
if we have a team that quits the moment something goes wrong then we have major problems.  if we are saying the D got steamrolled b/c they were deflated b/c of Fitz I don't know what to say.  we might as well cancel the rest of the season.

does the team like him? I don't know, from the outside looking in it looks like they love Fitz and are lukewarm at best w/ geno.  that is a problem but what choice do we have?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #497 on: November 03, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
It happens, when popular players go down, teams get deflated, down, especially when the alternative to that player is so distasteful. It's human nature. The fact it happened won't bother me if they come back and act like professionals next game.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #498 on: November 03, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
Jets fans have PTSD from the last 2 stints of throwing rookie QBs out there in their first year. 

Everyone on this site was saying he needed to sit at least a year and maybe two not that long ago. The rational side of anyone with a pulse on this site knows throwing Petty in isn't going to be the right move in his development.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #499 on: November 03, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »
It happens, when popular players go down, teams get deflated, down, especially when the alternative to that player is so distasteful. It's human nature. The fact it happened won't bother me if they come back and act like professionals next game.
I am not buying that, Fitz didn't die.  he wasn't carted off w/o being able to move.  he was right there on the sideline.  the team was unprepared and played awful football, was going to happen no matter who was in there.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #500 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
I am not buying that, Fitz didn't die.  he wasn't carted off w/o being able to move.  he was right there on the sideline.  the team was unprepared and played awful football, was going to happen no matter who was in there.

Maybe/maybe not. I don't particularly like how they played and I think there's no excuse for it but fact is they were excrement. There's probably more than 1 reason for the lackluster in all respects performance.

BTW I am not excusing that waste of a game/effort by any stretch, just having a conversation.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
Maybe/maybe not. I don't particularly like how they played and I think there's no excuse for it but fact is they were excrement. There's probably more than 1 reason for the lackluster in all respects performance.

BTW I am not excusing that waste of a game/effort by any stretch, just having a conversation.

ok, no problem w/ that.  it was an embarrassing effort by the D, a continuation of the 4th qtr against NE.  I can't pin that on emotions b/c Fitz got banged up. 

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
I said a couple weeks back before we went to NE that we would find a lot out about our team in the next couple of games (Pats & Raiders)and we did. We were found wanting and the defense looked like a shadow of a marquee team.
Losing Fitz was most certainly a contributory factor but we weren't winning that game a against a hungry Raider side with a really comfortable young QB.
As for Geno, I would love to give the guy the benefit of doubt but he has that cloak of bungling inadequacy shroud over him which Sanchez carried around after that Butt fumble. There is no place for him in New York now, this will not end well.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
Everyone on this site was saying he needed to sit at least a year and maybe two not that long ago. The rational side of anyone with a pulse on this site knows throwing Petty in isn't going to be the right move in his development.

I agree.  I was just saying that as Jets fans we are all so scorned from the last 2 QB situations that we probably wouldn't want any QB to play any their first year.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
I agree.  I was just saying that as Jets fans we are all so scorned from the last 2 QB situations that we probably wouldn't want any QB to play any their first year.

If we pick someone in the first round this coming draft I would be cool with them starting. Sanchez wasn't ruined by starting as a rookie.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #505 on: November 03, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
Sanchez wasn't ruined by starting as a rookie.

No, a lot of young guys start as rookies now. Putting Petty in now is different than starting him from Week 1 as a rookie and putting the whole season in his hands. He's third on the depth chart and possibly pressed into playing, a lot less pressure there. If he does get in, however it goes, he'll have some experience to draw from and film to look at during the long off season. I'm still hoping we don't need him but it's not going to ruin his career of we do.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #506 on: November 03, 2015, 03:44:48 PM »
I see nothing wrong with putting Petty out there for a week or two against some shitty teams. It's not like it's going to ruin him, I'd think it would be a good test for him.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #507 on: November 03, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
I see nothing wrong with putting Petty out there for a week or two against some shitty teams. It's not like it's going to ruin him, I'd think it would be a good test for him.

Exactly.

As for the deflation thing, I know people around here hate to hear about the body language police but there was a specific instance I noticed during the game Sunday. It was after a bad play on offense (incompletion?) and they flashed to our offensive line. Carpenter (I think it was him) was shaking his head and looked clearly disgusted.

I said to my son at the time "That is how this team feels when Geno is in." That was after the team was playing noticeably more undisciplined than previous games.

Wilkerson reiterated on the radio yesterday that there were guys loafing on defense on Sunday. Both he and Harris (both of whom I thought played the best on defense Sunday) were vocal that the team didn't play with enough heart. I partially blame coaching for that, but I also partially blame the fact that a QB whose teammates dislike him wound up in the game.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #508 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:20 PM »
Exactly.

As for the deflation thing, I know people around here hate to hear about the body language police but there was a specific instance I noticed during the game Sunday. It was after a bad play on offense (incompletion?) and they flashed to our offensive line. Carpenter (I think it was him) was shaking his head and looked clearly disgusted.

I said to my son at the time "That is how this team feels when Geno is in." That was after the team was playing noticeably more undisciplined than previous games.

Wilkerson reiterated on the radio yesterday that there were guys loafing on defense on Sunday. Both he and Harris (both of whom I thought played the best on defense Sunday) were vocal that the team didn't play with enough heart. I partially blame coaching for that, but I also partially blame the fact that a QB whose teammates dislike him wound up in the game.

I am sure no one was ever disgusted w/ Fitz's INTs or his underthrows- just geno.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #509 on: November 03, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »
I agree with everything nyjunc has said for the last few pages.

The defense quit on Sunday. That's not on Geno. Is it possible that the team has no faith in Geno and mailed it in when he came in? I guess, but if that's the case, that's as much of an indictment on the team and the coaching staff as it is on Geno.

Geno wasn't terrible, and the majority of the stats came after being down a lot, but the Jets were also down a lot early. Jets running backs had 28 yards on 18 carries. He was also under far more pressure than Fitz ever was. Part of that is Geno's lack of pocket presence, but a big part of that was also missing Mangold.

Geno: 27-42, 265, 2 TD, 1 Int last week.
Fitz: 21-35, 245, 2 TD. 1 Int this season (1st 6 games on average)

Those are their season averages (Fitz is really 1.8 TD and 1.2 Int, but I rounded them both in his favor). And Geno did it without starter reps and without his top offensive lineman (and no running game). Plus, the receiving corps was banged up to the point that Kenbrell Thompkins played 52 snaps.

I'm not arguing Geno is good. I'm just arguing he's competent enough where we can win with him. He still drives me crazy with some of the things he does, and I trust Fitzpatrick more than I trust Geno, but Geno should be able to be decent enough to win.