Author Topic: Fitzmagic  (Read 244442 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: Fitzmagic
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
I was reviewing Fitz's stats throughout his career, and he's exceptionally average across the board. That's actually what we need.
"Wrong!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
With apologies to bojanglesman, this is how I picture it going down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3T_M28lIn4

Ha.  That would have been much smoother.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Ha.  That would have been much smoother.

Even after 10 years and about a million times I still laugh every time I see that shot.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 07:03:11 PM »
– Fitzpatrick is an upgrade over Geno Smith [PFF] https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/11/ryan-fitzpatrick-is-an-upgrade-over-geno-smith/

– Jets are better off at QB with Fitzpatrick [ESPN NFL Nation]
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/174055/inside-slant-jets-are-better-at-qb-today-with-ryan-fitzpatrick

– The Jets will be better with Ryan Fitzpatrick [NJAM]
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/geno_smith_holy_cow_jets_are_you_serious_column_po.html

– Jets offense will probably be better with Fitzpatrick [FiveThirtyEight]

– Is Fitzpatrick actually an upgrade over Geno Smith? [Wall Street Journal]
http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-ryan-fitzpatrick-actually-an-upgrade-over-geno-smith-for-jets-1439332177

– Jets can survive without Geno, perhaps even be better [CBS Sports]

– Fitzpatrick, by any measure, is the better quarterback [CBS New York]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:06:59 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
Fitz was a better QB than Geno the last 2 years but he's capped out at a mediocre QB. The goal with Geno was that he could be the long-term answer. But those articles have merit.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
No one disputes what the plan was - we just thought it wasn't a good plan.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
Fitz was a better QB than Geno the last 2 years but he's capped out at a mediocre QB. The goal with Geno was that he could be the long-term answer. But those articles have merit.

I don't think he ever really could have. He's never shown any sign of being able to handle the mental side of the game.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »
Fitzaverage is exactly the kind of guy who would've made last year's team competitive and maybe even a legit playoff threat. This year's team is better in almost every way. If we get mediocre play from Fitz, this team is a serious threat.

And now we don't have to wait until we're 0-4 in October thanks to Geno to see what Fitz can do. It just sucks if Geno really had "figured it out" and we just lost the future over a plane ticket and limo ride.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 07:02:43 AM »
No one disputes what the plan was - we just thought it wasn't a good plan.

It wasn't a good plan, but it was one of the only options with our limited resources at the QB position.  If Geno improved, great.  if not, we know what we (should) have in Fitzpatrick. I would feel a lot better about this whole thing if we didn't have terrible depth at the position.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 07:05:26 AM »
seriously though, all this team needs is average QB play and we're dangerous. We've been hamstrung by the position for longer than I care to remember.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »
seriously though, all this team needs is average QB play and we're dangerous. We've been hamstrung by the position for longer than I care to remember.

Which is exactly why Geno getting knocked the freak out is the best thing to happen to this franchise in years.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »
Which is exactly why Geno getting knocked the freak out is the best thing to happen to this franchise in years.

Except Fitz could have played without us losing a capable #2. No matter how much anyone hates Geno no argument can be made that Petty or a guy off the street is a better backup.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:18 AM »

I think this is pretty damn harsh. If Geno didn't play well or Fitz was clearly the better QB, the end result would be the same without having a young QB get his jaw broken and get his future determined for him. If Fitz was head and shoulders above Geno (like many are making him out to be), then I see no reason as to why Gailey and Bowles wouldn't make the change from a QB they have no attachment to at either the start of the season or during the preseason.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
I'm conflicted. You hate to see this kind of thing, Geno seems like a good guy and I feel bad for him that this happened, but on the flip side him starting was one of the main reasons I felt this season was doomed to failure. Not that Fitzpatrick is some kind of savior but we knew what Geno was going to do and that was going to be another season closer to death without winning anything.

we had a better shot w/ geno.  geno was still a bit of an unknown, Fitz is known and not very good.  he will put up decent #s and fool some people but he's a Kyle Orton/Matt Moore type that you can't win with.  I hope I am wrong but I have seen too much of him to have any confidence in him.