Author Topic: FDA to ban all transfats  (Read 5828 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: FDA to ban all transfats
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
I'm not going to pretend I don't consume sugar (in my coffee every day) or any HFCS (I have soda once in a blue moon) and I do enjoy ice cream, cake, pie, cookies, Reese's like anyone else. My biggest problem with HFCS is that it's sneaky. People consume more sugar than they realize simply because the corn industry has managed to warp the "sugar is sugar" argument to sound as though drinking a Coke at McDonald's is no different than putting a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee.

Also, it's in so much that people don't even realize. Having a healthy salad with lunch? Look at the label for your dressing.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm not going to pretend I don't consume sugar (in my coffee every day) or any HFCS (I have soda once in a blue moon) and I do enjoy ice cream, cake, pie, cookies, Reese's like anyone else. My biggest problem with HFCS is that it's sneaky. People consume more sugar than they realize simply because the corn industry has managed to warp the "sugar is sugar" argument to sound as though drinking a Coke at McDonald's is no different than putting a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee.

Also, it's in so much that people don't even realize. Having a healthy salad with lunch? Look at the label for your dressing.

I would assume there was/would have been sugar in that salad dressing before there was HFCS.

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
By all trans fat do they actually mean all of it? Because they can list 0g trans fat in food today and still have a bit through most oftenly hydrogenated oil.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
By all trans fat do they actually mean all of it? Because they can list 0g trans fat in food today and still have a bit through most oftenly hydrogenated oil.

All of it

The way the FDA works is they have to classify an ingredient as  "generally recognized as safe"

in the article they mention that the FDA's plan is to remove that designation from transfat

And per wikipedia, once that designation is revoked
When a use of a substance does not qualify for the GRAS exemption, that use of the substance is subject to the premarket approval mandated by the FFDCA. In such circumstances, the FDA can take enforcement action to stop distribution of the food substance and foods containing it on the grounds that such foods are or contain an unlawful food additive

So it would be illegal for companies to sell food with transfat, unless they get a special waiver (which the article says is unlikely)

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Anyone that thinks HFCS  is the same as sugar is a moron.

The proof is in the movies, tv, everywhere.  Before HFCS people were, in general, less fat.  I used to drink Coke every day.  I looked like I had an alien about to burst from my belly, and I am otherwise skinny.  A month after getting of HFCS it was gone, and has stayed gone.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
Anyone that thinks HFCS  is the same as sugar is a moron.

The proof is in the movies, tv, everywhere.  Before HFCS people were, in general, less fat.  I used to drink Coke every day.  I looked like I had an alien about to burst from my belly, and I am otherwise skinny.  A month after getting of HFCS it was gone, and has stayed gone.

Fat comes from calories, not magic.

People eat far more calories today, people are fatter today.

Cutting out soda didnt make you lose weight because HFCS has magical powers, it made you lose weight because it was empty calories.

If you drank european coke made with sugar instead of HFCS, you would be just as fat

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
Fat comes from calories, not magic.

People eat far more calories today, people are fatter today.

Cutting out soda didnt make you lose weight because HFCS has magical powers, it made you lose weight because it was empty calories.

If you drank european coke made with sugar instead of HFCS, you would be just as fat

And... you're wrong again (shocking).  I didn't cut out Coke.  I bought the Coke from Mexico at Costco instead.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
And... you're wrong again (shocking).  I didn't cut out Coke.  I bought the Coke from Mexico at Costco instead.

Better tell the FDA about your findings, they need to know this immediately

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Fructose is processed differently than glucose.  The only way you're going to get a different metabolic response is if you're consuming a product that's higher in glucose than HFCS.  Fructose goes directly to fat.  Most refined sugars have a similar breakdown of fructose and glucose, so all things being equal, it's not going to do much good.  The argument of HFCS getting surreptitiously worked into food has some merit, but there are labels on packaged foods and a lot of fast food joints have nutritional tables.

Anecdotally, HFCS tends to spike my sugar more and for a longer time than other sugars, but I have no clue why.  It makes little sense.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
It also has been proven to form fat around the organs in your belly, rather than outside the muscle.

And to the FDA comment from the nutball gallery...  There is a reason why the FDA doesn't say goodbye to HFCS.  Care to guess why?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »
It also has been proven to form fat around the organs in your belly, rather than outside the muscle.

And to the FDA comment from the nutball gallery...  There is a reason why the FDA doesn't say goodbye to HFCS.  Care to guess why?
They like donuts?

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
They like donuts?

Subsidized corn based sugar donuts.  Pretty much.

Tags: