Author Topic: FDA to ban all transfats  (Read 5829 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
FDA to ban all transfats
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
The FDA plans to announce later Thursday that it will require the food industry to gradually phase out all trans fats, saying they are a threat to people's health. Commissioner Margaret Hamburg said the move could prevent 20,000 heart attacks a year and 7,000 deaths.

Mentions they might phase them out over 6 months to a year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/fda-ban-trans-fats_n_4232871.html

Pretty huge step by the FDA imo

Considering how big of a problem medical costs are, and how incapable people are of taking care of themselves, I actually have to applaud them on this. Heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes all some of the biggest problems out there.

Dont think this will make a drastic difference, but it certainly cant hurt

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:05:20 PM by dcm1602 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: FDA to ban all transfats
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
Obama's takin' my donuts!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
I'd love to see high-fructose corn syrup disappear more but I don't disagree with this move. This isn't like Bloomberg telling people what they can or can't consume, this is the FDA actually doing what they're supposed to do.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:16:33 PM »
I'd love to see high-fructose corn syrup disappear more but I don't disagree with this move. This isn't like Bloomberg telling people what they can or can't consume, this is the FDA actually doing what they're supposed to do.

Its literally impossible for that to happen.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is NO different than sugar. So the government would pretty much have to ban all sugar, which would include fruit (as fruit has fructose in it as well). Would be way way too complicated and controversial. And thats before even addressing that the Corn Lobby pretty has the FDA as its bitches

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »

High Fructose Corn Syrup is NO different than sugar. So the government would pretty much have to ban all sugar, which would include fruit (as fruit has fructose in it as well). Would be way way too complicated and controversial. And thats before even addressing that the Corn Lobby pretty has the FDA as its bitches

Aaaaaad the argument begins................

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »

That was my first thought. The subsidies they get are the biggest problem.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

I'm not even going to bother arguing this one with you. Suffice to say it makes me really fear that people like yourself are in the world of health care.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
I'm not even going to bother arguing this one with you. Suffice to say it makes me really fear that people like yourself are in the world of health care.

Evidence Based Practice

Health care is supported by data, not superstition.

Since then, a broad scientific consensus has emerged that there are no metabolic or endocrine response differences between HFCS and sucrose related to obesity or any other adverse health outcome.

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.full.pdf+html

Of course thats just the American Society for Nutrition, what do they know

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
I'm actually with DCM on this one. Refined sugar is refined sugar, I'm not sure how you could ban one and not others.

The argument about not subsidising the production of HFCS is a bit more worthy, I think.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Sure, that's fine. Except HFCS is far more concentrated than sugar in equal volumes, rendering your "They'll have to ban apples!" argument senseless. This isn't really a tough concept.

Any sugar isn't good for you. Consuming a higher density of it thanks to HFCS is naturally worse for you.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
Any sugar isn't good for you. Consuming a higher density of it thanks to HFCS is naturally worse for you.

Again, I'm not sure it's that simple. Consuming an excess of any sugar probably isn't very good for you, but the consumption of sugars isn't bad per se.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Sure, that's fine. Except HFCS is far more concentrated than sugar in equal volumes, rendering your "They'll have to ban apples!" argument senseless. This isn't really a tough concept.

Look at the label and eat less of it. 

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
I'm all for this. It's one thing not buying anything with Trans Fat or HFCS at the grocery store, but what about when eating out? I'd like the peace of mind that there can't be any trans fat in whatever I'm being served.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »

Pepsi made with high fructose corn syrup + its label/nutritional info

http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/infobyproduct.php?prod_type=1026&prod_size=20&brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Pepsi

Pepsi Made with sugar + its label/nutrtional info

http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/infobyproduct.php?prod_type=1026&prod_size=20&prod_catg_id=1062&brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Pepsi+Throwback

Virtually identical
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:07:29 PM by dcm1602 »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Anyone ever see the King of the Hill episode about the Arlen trans-fat ban?

Tags: