Author Topic: Mid Season 2014 Jet's Mock Draft  (Read 3822 times)

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
Mid Season 2014 Jet's Mock Draft
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »
My mid season Jet's Mock.

A few repeat players, from my 1st mock, that I really like for the Jets.

I predicted 2 comp picks....4 & 6.

RD 1) ERIC EBRON, TE, NORTH CAROLINA: I don't expect the SOJ fan to understand this pick and compare Ebron to Kyle Brady and other Rd 1 TE's. The Jets are going to miss out on Watkins and Mike Evans and take the next best offensive player. Ebron will create mismatches with his size, especially in the red zone. Amaro has stated he's returning in 2014, so the TE quality won't be available in a later round.

RD 2) JAELEN STRONG, WR, ASU: a Juco transfer that is playing light's out. If you haven't seen tape of this Kid check him out. Moving up the boards!!!

RD 3a) DARQUEZE DENNARD, CB, MSU: solid CB that has has cover skills. I'm impressed with quite a few Michigan State defenders. Rex will add another CB in the 1st half of the draft.

RD 3) ALVIN "BUD" DUPREE, OLB, KENTUCKY: playing DE this year, but has played linebacker. One of my favorite defensive players in the SEC, solid pass rusher and can drop in coverage. Very underrated player playing for the Wildcats.

RD 4) DRI ARCHER, ALL PURPOSE PLAYER, KENT STATE: In my 1st mock, just starting to get back in form after ankle injury. Jets get a badly needed returner.

RD 4) (COMP) TRE BOSTON, S, NORTH CAROLINA: Another player in my 1st mock, will play Safety in the NFL.

RD 5) JEFF MATTHEWS, QB, CORNELL: Ivy league QB, needs help with mechanics (Footwork). Strong arm. Jets will need to add a QB to the roster.

RD 6) JAKE FISHER, OT, OREGON: Depth on the line.

RD 6) (COMP) CODY WEBSTER, P, PURDUE: Jets need a much better option and use Comp pick on a punter.

RD 7) MIKE CAMPANARO, WR, WAKE: Idzik Wake Forest pick with his ties to the school.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Mid Season 2014 Jet's Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
It's that time already, huh?  Nice work for an early mock. 

Huge fan of Eric Ebron and he'd be a huge addition.  Our offense needs all the help it can get. 

Two guys that I don't think need to come out:  Strong and Dupree

Strong is having a nice season out in Tempe, but he only has a handful of games at the major college level and he was shut down by Marcus Peters when they played Washington.  He would be taking a huge risk coming out as a redshirt sophomore.

Alvin Dupree doesn't need to come out just yet, but that kid has the ability to be a hell of a prospect as a senior.

I'm not sure if I'm okay with using that high third on another corner.  Dennard is a really good player, but using a third rounder on a guy that will be a dime back for a few years just doesn't make sense to me.  I'd rather see a safety or another offensive player in that spot. 

Someone will get a steal with Dri Archer.  That injury will scare some teams away because his size will lead to some concerns about durability. 

Jeff Mathews won't necessarily have a Flacco-type rise, but I could see him moving up into the middle rounds.  He's a talented kid.  Wouldn't be against that pick at all. 

Campanaro is the man.  Too bad he got injured this past weekend. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:22:36 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
I'm no draft expert, but with all the comp picks we'll have, I wouldn't be against a late round punter.

I've heard that we may have 3-4 comp picks in the late rounds.  Am I wrong?  I know no one knows for sure, but 3 is the smallest number I've seen.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
It's that time already, huh?  Nice work for an early mock. 

Huge fan of Eric Ebron and he'd be a huge addition.  Our offense needs all the help it can get. 

Two guys that I don't think need to come out:  Strong and Dupree

Strong is having a nice season out in Tempe, but he only has a handful of games at the major college level and he was shut down by Marcus Peters when they played Washington.  He would be taking a huge risk coming out as a redshirt sophomore.

Alvin Dupree doesn't need to come out just yet, but that kid has the ability to be a hell of a prospect as a senior.

I'm not sure if I'm okay with using that high third on another corner.  Dennard is a really good player, but using a third rounder on a guy that will be a dime back for a few years just doesn't make sense to me.  I'd rather see a safety or another offensive player in that spot. 

Someone will get a steal with Dri Archer.  That injury will scare some teams away because his size will lead to some concerns about durability. 

Jeff Mathews won't necessarily have a Flacco-type rise, but I could see him moving up into the middle rounds.  He's a talented kid.  Wouldn't be against that pick at all. 

Campanaro is the man.  Too bad he got injured this past weekend.

Ebron should be available when the Jets are OTC.

Have to wait and see on Stong declaring, he has some major skills. I saw some highlights and he looked really solid.

Dupree was moved to DL this year after playing linebacker. He has good size and has played very well against some superior competition.

I saw some plays from Archer last year and he's a man among boys. His ankle has been messed up most of the year but as you said some team will take a shot at him in the mid rounds.

Campanaro is done for the year, maybe Idzik will pull another Tommy Bohannon and draft Campanaro.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
I'm no draft expert, but with all the comp picks we'll have, I wouldn't be against a late round punter.

I've heard that we may have 3-4 comp picks in the late rounds.  Am I wrong?  I know no one knows for sure, but 3 is the smallest number I've seen.

Nobody knows for certain, it's a complicated formula.

My guess is 2 picks, maybe 3.

Moltar

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
If you can't land a top WR, gotta go with the next best thing in a TE. Depending on which teams you look at, it's just as good(if not better). With a team that has more complementary pieces, someone like Ebron could come in and dominate the targets his rookie year. Geno wants to look to the TE, there's just not a special talent there to consistently do something with it.

I'm 50/50 on Strong coming out. No doubt he is talented, but can he be one and done and expect to pull a Patterson? Patterson had unreal talent, can Strong avoid getting lost in what looks like a possible strong WR class?

I'd have to see what was there in the 3rd before I committed to a CB.

One of my questions about the OLB position is how the exit of Pace will eventually be handled. Will they flip Coples depending on how he's progressed(obviously not if he's 10 sack guy) or will they just search out a new strong side LB?

Which leads me to which side you project Dupree on?

Sproles always comes to minds with Archer. I caught the MAC Title game last year, and he couldn't get anything going on the ground, they were substituting it with his catches.

Good stuff, save for any aforementioned caveats, I'd be satisfied.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind a top TE.
"Wrong!"

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
Ebron is a beast, I'd take him all day as a 1st round pick.  If we were to land him I'd have no problem adding in a speedy wideout in the 2nd round.

I like Strong for the future, but he's raw.  He'd get lost with the receivers in this class, which as I go through the players one by one I'm realizing is even better than I thought originally.

Archer is dynamic, and I'd much prefer to get him later than DAT early.  I think Thomas is electric and all, but I'm not into taking a weapon like that early without a proven offense already in place.  I said the same about Austin this past year, and it seems to be what's hurting him in STL.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
I think Thomas is electric and all, but I'm not into taking a weapon like that early without a proven offense already in place. 

Thomas is definitely a role player that can put a good offense over the top. 

Indianapolis and Green Bay are great fits for him.

On the Packers as a spell to Lacy, he would be such a pain in the derriere to defend. 

---

I really need to re-examine my running back rankings this weekend.  This class just isn't that great at the top, so it's jumbled. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
Looks good, my biggest gripe (as it seems to be with most others) is going with a CB so high. That said it could easily make sense, if we lose Cro due being unable to make a contract work, Wilson either slides outside opposite Milliner, and we need a new Nickel, which means adding a mid-round CB sounds like a big need or we keep Wilson in the slot and sign an outside guy, meaning this is a wasted selection this high IMO. Of course we likely won't lose cro IMO. But we certainly could let him walk if his play doesn't improve...

That said I might look at a RB (for the 80th year in a row) there since it's quite likely Goodson is a goner. I know he isn't the speedster that Goodson is, but I really like Jerome Smith. I think he could be this year's Le'veon Bell.

Also (and this obviously depends where we pick) I wouldn't be shocked to see a Playmaker slide to us. With last years QB crop leading to many teams not drafting anyone high despite needing one, I could easily see a lot of guys being drafted early, and quite possibly a handful of them in the top 10. If that happens, some of those playmakers might well slip just a touch. If we do end up picking in the 17-20 range, maybe we just happen to get lucky.
Need a new one for a new board...