Author Topic: Teams asking Jets about Wilk  (Read 12583 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Teams asking Jets about Wilk
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
This is all crazy.

Mo is under contract for 2015 and, at worst,  we can franchise him for 2016......he's going no where.

Mike M said he was going to address Mo's contract after the draft, no reason not to believe him.
Well trading his derriere would certainly address it...

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
I am getting behind the idea now.  Obviously, it would depend on the trade value for Wilkerson, and certainly wouldn't want them to unless Williams was available.  The Jets are not real super bowl contenders, and by the time they are Wilkerson is on the down side of his career.  Williams will be just hitting his prime, and won't cost $100 Million dollars while the team gets better.

I'm not behind the idea. Mo has only played 4 years in the league, he's no where close to his downside, years and years away.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:16 AM »
Move this thread to the porta potty where it belongs
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »
They're talking calls just to let everyone know how awesome he is and that we're keeping him.
"Wrong!"

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
Well trading his derriere would certainly address it...

No one takes you seriously.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »

No one takes you seriously.
Me and Heismanberg are getting pretty serious

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Winner!!!!!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
Call it what you want but it's Adam Schefter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
Just because teams are asking doesn't mean the Jets have even entertained the idea. 

The idea doesn't make sense for the Jets unless Leonard Williams is the pick (not Mariota).  I guess Coples could be a full time DE again if they used that pick for someone other than Williams.  The only advantage in my eyes is that we'd go from having a soon-to-be $12-$14 million/yr DE to a DE that will be making $3-5 million for 4 years.  And that's assuming Leonard Williams can come in and produce from day 1 (which I thing he could).

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
I'd be interested to hear which teams called.  Wilk could've been a piece of a package to move up into the top 2.

Trade a Pro Bowl defensive player in his prime for a draft pick. Some people never learn.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Not gonna lie, I'd ship off Wilkerson if it meant were getting Mariota.

The question is, is Wilkerson and a first fair value for Mariota?

Wilkerson and our 1st for Mariota and the Titans 2nd on the other hand...

That I could get behind

You can see the mushroom cloud rise above Santa Monica from my office window.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »
If the Jets are sold on Mariota being a quarterback who can be a great one for 10-15 years, you have to consider the move. Quarterback>>>>everything.

However, I'm certainly not sold on Mariota being that guy.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Just for shits and giggles, if he were traded what do you think would be the scenario?

I guess the Titans could be a suitor.  We swap first rounders and take either Leonard Williams or Mariota.  Then Mowilk gets replaced with either Leonard Williams or Coples (if we take Mariota).  The advantage would be that we could get a potential franchise QB that wouldn't likely be there at 6 or a DE that has elite potential for a very affordable price for 4-5 years.  Disadvantage would be that Coples or Williams could be a significant downgrade from Wilkerson and it sends a bad message to the team. 

The real question- is losing what we know is elite (Wilkerson) worth saving $10 million a year or getting a potential franchise QB?  Initially it seems stupid to consider trading Wilkerson, but it is a compelling thought when you take into account his soon-to-be massive salary at a position that we might be able to replace better than any other team out there. 

I wouldn't trade him, but it's worth a thought at least.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »
Just for shits and giggles, if he were traded what do you think would be the scenario?

I guess the Titans could be a suitor.  We swap first rounders and take either Leonard Williams or Mariota.  Then Mowilk gets replaced with either Leonard Williams or Coples (if we take Mariota).  The advantage would be that we could get a potential franchise QB that wouldn't likely be there at 6 or a DE that has elite potential for a very affordable price for 4-5 years.  Disadvantage would be that Coples or Williams could be a significant downgrade from Wilkerson and it sends a bad message to the team. 

The real question- is losing what we know is elite (Wilkerson) worth saving $10 million a year or getting a potential franchise QB?  Initially it seems stupid to consider trading Wilkerson, but it is a compelling thought when you take into account his soon-to-be massive salary at a position that we might be able to replace better than any other team out there. 

I wouldn't trade him, but it's worth a thought at least.

I don't think the Jets would trade the 6th pick and MoWilk for 2. Maybe MoWilk and a 2016 first, or MoWilk and a 2015 2nd, but I think Wilk is too good to move up 4 spots. At least I hope he is...

Here's my scenario (which I don't love)...
- Jets trade Wilk and a 2016 first for Mariota
- Jets draft Leonard Williams to replace Wilkerson
- Jets win Super Bowl, so next year's 1st is No. 32 overall.

SCENARIO 2
- Jets trade Wilk and 2016 first for Mariota
- Jets trade down from 6, pick up 3rd and 5th-round picks this year
- Jets draft Bud Dupree after trading down, best available OL in Round 2, and BPA rest of picks

I think the Jets might be able to get by at DL with Richardson, Harrison, Coples, and the other guys we have.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:39:06 AM by Derek Smalls »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
Trade a Pro Bowl defensive player in his prime for a draft pick. Some people never learn.

I'm not advocating the trade. i was merely ascertaining what the reasoning would be.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: