Author Topic: I own a house?  (Read 42756 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: I own a house?
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2022, 08:36:08 PM »
nothing like coming home from a mini vacation to a flood in the basement.

The arcades live as do the memorabilia and my electronics by the tv so it could've been much, much worse.

That is excrement. Leak from above, or water table from below?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #421 on: June 20, 2022, 08:54:45 PM »
That is excrement. Leak from above, or water table from below?

water table from below unfortunately, so there very likely goes the carpeting. honestly, if that and some of the wooden items are the ultimate loss (especially if homeowners picks it up as opposed to the evaporation of my vacation fund) it's not the end of the world-just a major pain in the derriere.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #422 on: June 20, 2022, 09:03:08 PM »
water table from below unfortunately, so there very likely goes the carpeting. honestly, if that and some of the wooden items are the ultimate loss (especially if homeowners picks it up as opposed to the evaporation of my vacation fund) it's not the end of the world-just a major pain in the derriere.

Damn bud, that sucks. Presume you don't have a sump pump? I know it doesn't fix the problem now, but it does stop it happening next time and they're not stupid expensive to do - just need to dig a pit, wire it in, and install an exit pipe (or have someone do it). Also your insurance will likely give you a discount if you put one in.

And don't replace the carpet with more carpet. The only smart thing to use in a basement is LVP - it's not expensive at all these days and some of it looks and feels really high quality. Doesn't absorb water like laminate or carpet if it happens again, and it provides a waterproof barrier so that if you get a bit of damp below it won't permeate through and get absorbed into wood or soft furnishings.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #423 on: June 20, 2022, 10:25:26 PM »
Damn bud, that sucks. Presume you don't have a sump pump? I know it doesn't fix the problem now, but it does stop it happening next time and they're not stupid expensive to do - just need to dig a pit, wire it in, and install an exit pipe (or have someone do it). Also your insurance will likely give you a discount if you put one in.

And don't replace the carpet with more carpet. The only smart thing to use in a basement is LVP - it's not expensive at all these days and some of it looks and feels really high quality. Doesn't absorb water like laminate or carpet if it happens again, and it provides a waterproof barrier so that if you get a bit of damp below it won't permeate through and get absorbed into wood or soft furnishings.

i had a sump put in when the basement was first finished, luckily (or from what I understand this would've been a million times worse), it wasn't the sump pump that went but the ejector pump. The ejector pump is more pricy to replace, but whatever I'll take that over the absolute nightmare of damage that the sump pump going would've brought on. Just sucks that the carpet and some of the furnishings (the wooden shelves specifically) are going to have to go. I'm realllly hoping my tv stand is spared, and idgaf, i'll do anything not to toss the couch. 

That's a fantastic idea with LVP (I had no idea what it was before your post), and most likely the route I'm going to go. Looks way cleaner than carpet anyway, and I saw some layouts that were fairly cost effective.

Just the whole hassle pisses me off and the fact that the ejector was put in, in October of 2019 so this shouldn't have happened. Here's hoping homeowners insurance comes through, that my initial hunch that the arcades/electronics/memorabilia isn't fucked with and that no mold is setting into the walls.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #424 on: June 21, 2022, 10:06:44 AM »
Just the whole hassle pisses me off and the fact that the ejector was put in, in October of 2019 so this shouldn't have happened. Here's hoping homeowners insurance comes through, that my initial hunch that the arcades/electronics/memorabilia isn't fucked with and that no mold is setting into the walls.

I don't see why insurance wouldn't cover it, especially if you need to do any kind of mold remediation. That said, as long as you dry the basement out properly any mold shouldn't last - I presume you've already taken off the bottom strip of drywall given it will have been soaking up water? How deep was it?

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #425 on: June 21, 2022, 10:13:01 AM »
I don't see why insurance wouldn't cover it, especially if you need to do any kind of mold remediation. That said, as long as you dry the basement out properly any mold shouldn't last - I presume you've already taken off the bottom strip of drywall given it will have been soaking up water? How deep was it?

Luckily I got to it before it got too deep and the restoration guys for mold are here stripping off the bottom molding/drywall. I was able to get coverage today for work so I'm home if they need anything. I don't expect the adjuster to reach out until this afternoon at the earliest, and if they need a walkthrough that might be an issue since I'll be in court the next two days.

I'm supposed to go to columbus for a little mini weekend getaway on friday so if the wife has to deal with showing the adjuster the basement, so be it.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2022, 04:10:04 PM »
Dealing with a mouse problem upstate. We've caught 10 mice in traps (regular snap style) since mid-August.

Any suggestions regarding different brands or types of glue traps? I am not concerned with being humane.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 04:13:23 PM by Badger »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2022, 04:15:30 PM »
Dealing with a mouse problem upstate. We've caught 10 mice in traps (regular snap style) since mid-August.

Any suggestions regarding different brands or types of glue traps? I am not concerned with being humane.

Glue traps aren't very good for catching mice, snap traps are more effective (and more humane).

But you need to have an exterminator put down poison, which is the only way of really getting rid of them.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2022, 04:17:30 PM »
Glue traps aren't very good for catching mice, snap traps are more effective (and more humane).

But you need to have an exterminator put down poison, which is the only way of really getting rid of them.
Poison not an option with my parents' dog and my kids around.

The issue I was having with the snap traps is some of the mice are so small that they aren't sufficiently disturbing the bait pad to set off the kill bar. Whereas I think a really sticky glue trap would doom them the moment they get on it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 04:20:23 PM by Badger »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2022, 04:21:21 PM »
Poison not an option with my parents' dog.

The issue I was having with the snap traps is some of the mice are so small that they aren't sufficiently disturbing the bait pad to set off the kill bar. Whereas I think a really sticky glue trap would doom them the moment they get on it.

Poison goes in the walls where they live, unless the dog is chewing through drywall then as long as it's used correctly there's no risk. It's so effective because it doesn't kill them instantly, they take it back to the nest and they all eat it.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »

Bring the cats.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #431 on: September 18, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »
Bring the cats.

Actually the best idea. Nothing gets rid of a mouse infestation quicker than a couple of cats.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #432 on: September 18, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »
Bring the cats.
My sister brought her cat up last month and it was absolutely useless.

Of my 2, only 1 of them has killed before and that was in 2011.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2022, 04:40:06 PM »
My sister brought her cat up last month and it was absolutely useless.

Of my 2, only 1 of them has killed before and that was in 2011.

sounds like you have a couple Teamsters for cats...Local 442.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #434 on: September 18, 2022, 04:44:24 PM »
sounds like you have a couple Teamsters for cats...Local 442.
We don't get mice at home, the cats' only security function here is alerting me to the presence of an occasional bug. The 1 kill came at the cabin I was living in for work in summer 2011.

Tags: