Author Topic: Jets sign RB Stevan Ridley  (Read 25436 times)

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
Re: Stevan Ridley visiting Jets
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »
That number is not that bad.  Demarco Murray fumbled once every 89 touches in 2014. 

Not every back is going to be Curtis Martin.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's a pretty decent number, but JE compared it to a forward that misses goals every game, which is far from accurate.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm sorry but the one who's wrong is you. It's a question of confidence and a guy who fumbles once every 84 snaps is not a forward who misses goals. I wish you actually take that into account before labelling anything as awful.

Stop. You're making yourself look silly.

Ridley was scratched for a game after fumbling in three successive games. This bears literally freak all relevance to soccer, and just because it's your main reference point doesn't make it any more correct. You can argue all you like about how it's not productive to drop a young player for repeatedly making the same mistake and there's no definitive right or wrong answer there, but the comparison to soccer doesn't work and no amount of you trying to torture it into place is going to make it so.

So what? They should have lost, he fucked up the timeout thing, does winning the SB mean that he was right? You can make a mistake and win anyway.

Of course it means he was right. His primary aim isn't to make Stevan Ridley a Pro Bowler, it's to win the Super Bowl. You don't win Super Bowls when your lead back is turning the ball over once a game.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 04:41:55 PM »
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's a pretty decent number, but JE compared it to a forward that misses goals every game, which is far from accurate.

I'm just trying to help you out with your ludicrous soccer analogy. You're right, my comparison wasn't accurate and I said so for exactly that reason. There is no accurate comparison between soccer and the NFL.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
Of course it means he was right. His primary aim isn't to make Stevan Ridley a Pro Bowler, it's to win the Super Bowl. You don't win Super Bowls when your lead back is turning the ball over once a game.

Bill Belichick can't develop running backs!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »

There is no accuracy when comparing soccer to football.  What you've said in this thread makes absolutely no sense.

When role players fumble, you replace them.  Ridley is not a star.  He is a replaceable  player and that's how Belichick treated him.  It's a winning formula.  If a player puts the ball on the ground in a costly situation, you replace him. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »
Stop. You're making yourself look silly.

Look, I was going to post something not cool. I would just say that you don't understand what I'm saying and saying things like that is not going to make you look better. So let's drop this thing.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
There is no accuracy when comparing soccer to football.  What you've said in this thread makes absolutely no sense.

When role players fumble, you replace them.  Ridley is not a star.  He is a replaceable  player and that's how Belichick treated him.  It's a winning formula.  If a player puts the ball on the ground in a costly situation, you replace him.

Other coaches don't do that. So, well... Is it that freaking strange that I don't agree with that notion? Why do I have to think exactly like you do?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »
Look, I was going to post something not cool. I would just say that you don't understand what I'm saying and saying things like that is not going to make you look better. So let's drop this thing.

That's a good idea, this isn't working out so well.....

"But it's just like soccer! It has a ball! And grass!"

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:39 PM »
That's a good idea, this isn't working out so well.....

"But it's just like soccer! It has a ball! And grass!"

So Belichick never makes mistakes because he won a Superbowl!! Winners are perfect!!!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
Other coaches don't do that. So, well... Is it that freaking strange that I don't agree with that notion? Why do I have to think exactly like you do?

The majority of coaches in this sport will do it, especially at the college level.  There is a next-man-up mentality with most staffs, especially if a player continuously struggled like Stevan Ridley was doing during that rough stretch.

In this case, everything you've been saying is very strange.  You don't have to think exactly like me and I never said that.  I'm just trying to explain to you that what you're saying is completely absurd and you seem off-base here. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
So Belichick never makes mistakes because he won a Superbowl!! Winners are perfect!!!

Benching a player that fumbled in consecutive games is not a mistake.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
The majority of coaches in this sport will do it, especially at the college level.  There is a next-man-up mentality with most staffs, especially if a player continuously struggled like Stevan Ridley was doing during that rough stretch.

In this case, everything you've been saying is very strange.  You don't have to think exactly like me and I never said that.  I'm just trying to explain to you that what you're saying is completely absurd and you seem off-base here.

I just don't think that is good for a coach to bench a running back after he makes a mistake as a system. I believe it could be a case-to-case basis depending on the player. Maybe I'm wrong but ut's just that, not really that strange. I put soccer as an example because it's a sport that I know well and one in which a mistake can cost you a game, the same as in football. Maybe Belichick thought Ridley wasn't talented enough to keep on playing despite the fumble, I think he's a good player, from the times I've seen him. I believe that he could have played better for the Pats in 2013 (last year he was out quite soon), based on what he did in 2012.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »
I can't

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:29 PM »
Benching a player that fumbled in consecutive games is not a mistake.

I was saying something as outlandish and ridiculous as JE saying that soccer and football are similar because they are played in grass with a ball. Most sports have similar concepts, even if the application is different. Soccer has learned a lot from basketball in terms of distribution on the pitch, especially in defence, everybody has learned from the analytical view of Billy Beane's in baseball (he's working in soccer now too by the way). Thinking that a sport cannot be compared to another is ridiculous.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »