Author Topic: Jets sign RB Stevan Ridley  (Read 25437 times)

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
Re: Stevan Ridley visiting Jets
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
I also come from the world of soccer, and your comparison fundamentally doesn't work because you don't get to choose your on-field personnel on a play-by-play basis. As you know.

No. But it's like that with a GK for example. You don't bench your starter because he made a mistake, you would probably kill his confidence.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
No. But it's like that with a GK for example. You don't bench your starter because he made a mistake, you would probably kill his confidence.

If he were a rookie, probably. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »

If a professional athlete can't bounce back from a mistake or a series of them, he doesn't belong in the sport.

Belichick benching him is fine.  There should always be a next-man-up mentality in the NFL.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »

Nope, in soccer you usually don't do it, unless it's a string of errors, or a run of very poor form.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »
If a professional athlete can't bounce back from a mistake or a series of them, he doesn't belong in the sport.

Belichick benching him is fine.  There should always be a next-man-up mentality in the NFL.

It's easy to know. If Ridley thrives in a new team then Belichick was wrong, if not, then he was right.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »
Pretty sure the Patriots haven't regretted losing a RB to another team since Curtis Martin. I don't think Ridley will break that streak (Vereen might, but probably not).

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »
It's easy to know. If Ridley thrives in a new team then Belichick was wrong, if not, then he was right.

no

Belichick was right no matter what Ridley does with another team.  If you have a player that can go out there and take care of the football while getting you similar production, it is the right move every time.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
Nope, in soccer you usually don't do it, unless it's a string of errors, or a run of very poor form.

I wish you'd drop the soccer comparison, it makes no sense. Match day squads are selected to fit particular formations and to neutralise particular opposing strengths, and tactical substitutions are completely different.

The closest comparison in soccer to the Ridley situation is a striker who keeps missing open goals, and if you're pushing for a title then you'd better believe he's getting dropped. Again, though, it's an awful comparison because the way the games are executed are so different.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

They just won* the Super Bowl. He isn't wrong.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
You should both pull the dicks out of your butts and stop discussing soccer

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
I wish you'd drop the soccer comparison, it makes no sense. Match day squads are selected to fit particular formations and to neutralise particular opposing strengths, and tactical substitutions are completely different.

The closest comparison in soccer to the Ridley situation is a striker who keeps missing open goals, and if you're pushing for a title then you'd better believe he's getting dropped. Again, though, it's an awful comparison because the way the games are executed are so different.

I'm sorry but the one who's wrong is you. It's a question of confidence and a guy who fumbles once every 84 snaps is not a forward who misses goals. I wish you actually take that into account before labelling anything as awful.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
They just won* the Super Bowl. He isn't wrong.

So what? They should have lost, he fucked up the timeout thing, does winning the SB mean that he was right? You can make a mistake and win anyway.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
It's a question of confidence and a guy who fumbles once every 84 snaps is not a forward who misses goals.

That number is not that bad.  Demarco Murray fumbled once every 89 touches in 2014. 

Not every back is going to be Curtis Martin. 

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
no

Belichick was right no matter what Ridley does with another team.  If you have a player that can go out there and take care of the football while getting you similar production, it is the right move every time.

I actually agree with that, the thing is that you can't know if someone was going to give you similar production or not. He ran for 1263 yards in 2012, no Pats back came even close to that in 2014. Hell, even his 773 yards in 2013 would have easily top the Pats' backs last year.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
What the freak is this argument?

Ridley is mediocre. I think his next couple years will be marginally better than Shonn Greene's time in Tennessee. He's not a good enough back to ignore the fumbles.