Author Topic: Best Draft Prospects Ever?  (Read 5685 times)

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
Best Draft Prospects Ever?
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
I got to thinking about my Top 5's at different prospect positions since I've been watching college football and the draft.

I'd be interested in the Top 5 lists of others as well.
I'll get started with big skill positions. I haven't put hours into these rankings, haha, so hopefully nobody slipped through the cracks.

QB
1. Peyton Manning. Kind of a no-brainer. Would have been the lock number one as a junior, but decided to kick Jets in scrotum.
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ryan Leaf. As gifted and as "can't miss" as you can get. Biggest draft bust ever, along with JaFuckface.
---above are on their own tier IMO---
4. Carson Palmer
5. Michael Vick

RB
1. Barry Sanders
2. Reggie Bush. USC games were must-watch TV for me because of him. Houston picking Mario Williams ahead of him might be the biggest draft surprise I can recall.
3. Adrian Peterson. Best freshman RB I ever saw, by a long shot. Man among boys. Fun fact: He beats children!
4. Lawrence Phillips. Ran like a beast, with a violent streak that he also carried over to off-the-field activities. Head-case of the highest order.
5. Marshall Faulk

WR
1. Randy Moss. Overmatched defenses while at Marshall in hilarious fashion.
2. Calvin Johnson. Beyond-prototype prospect. I've owned him on my fantasy team since his rookie year. #fakeslavery
---above on own tier---
3. AJ Green. Just below top two dudes. On his own tier here, above all else.
----
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Andre Johnson. I was drooling for him to fall to the Jets in their brilliant scheme to move up in 2003 draft. Houston grabbed him and instead we drafted Huell from Breaking Bad.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Best Draft Prospects Ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
Some names off the top of my head

S Sean Taylor
DE Julius Peppers
DE Jadeveon Clowney
DE Mario Williams
OT Orlando Pace
LB Patrick Willis
WR Charles Rogers
TE Vernon Davis
DL Richard Seymour
DL JJ Watt
DT Ndamukong Suh
OG Steve Hutchinson

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
Some names off the top of my head

S Sean Taylor
DE Julius Peppers
DE Jadeveon Clowney
DE Mario Williams
OT Orlando Pace
LB Patrick Willis
WR Charles Rogers
TE Vernon Davis
DL Richard Seymour
DL JJ Watt
DT Ndamukong Suh
OG Steve Hutchinson
Nice!
Yeah Sean taylor might be best S prospect I can remember, probably juuuust above Berry and Ed Reed.
Rogers just missed top 5 haha, maybe 6 or 7. He was picked just ahead of Andre, which I was fine with....I just gave Andre the edge.
Off the top of my head I can't recall a better TE prospect than VD. Definitely above Gonzo and Shockey and those types.
As far as OT, Ogden and Pace would probably be my co#1's. I loved the Keyshawn pick at the time in '96, but I would have been fine with Ogden too (and it obviously would have fared better). Those fuckin' Ravens, getting Ogden AND Ray Lewis in same round.

WD40

• Drew Coleman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
At Running Back, you'd have to include Ricky Williams, right?  That guy was a legitimate beast in school, and had the massive hype of the "Ditka".

At Cornerback, I can remember Deion Sanders being pretty awesome in college and getting the requisite amount of hype leading up to the draft.

Otherwise, love that list.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
LB Aaron Curry comes to mind immediately.  Everyone pegged him as a can't miss prospect. 

Vince Young

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
At Running Back, you'd have to include Ricky Williams, right?  That guy was a legitimate beast in school, and had the massive hype of the "Ditka".

At Cornerback, I can remember Deion Sanders being pretty awesome in college and getting the requisite amount of hype leading up to the draft.

Otherwise, love that list.
Yes, Ricky Williams was, no doubt, an elite prospect. Who can forget his shock when Edgerrin was selected ahead of him. If someone were to sneak ahead of Faulk in my humble list, it would be him.

Deion would be my #1a CB prospect, alongside Charles Woodson.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Yes, Ricky Williams was, no doubt, an elite prospect. Who can forget his shock when Edgerrin was selected ahead of him. If someone were to sneak ahead of Faulk in my humble list, it would be him.

Deion would be my #1a CB prospect, alongside Charles Woodson.

The Steelers dude that was a jackass commentator? He was a bigtime prospect as well..............Woodson. I just remembered his name as I typed this excrement. lol
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »
LB Aaron Curry comes to mind immediately.  Everyone pegged him as a can't miss prospect. 

Vince Young
I remember Curry being touted as the "safest" pick in that '09 draft. Personally, I ranked him #2 after Stafford.

Young is in my top 3/4 greatest college QBs I ever saw, but I wasn't ultra-high on him as a pro. Not gonna lie, I would have been stoked if Jets nabbed him.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »
I'm going to take some time to get this right but I'll definitely post my rankings in here. I'm going to go from '02 which was a little before I started writing for DraftBlitz. Great thread idea.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
Chance Warmack

Jonathan Cooper

Rolando McClain

Trent Richardson

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »
QB:  Michael Vick
RB:  Adrian Peterson
RB:  LaDainian Tomlinson
WR:  Randy Moss
WR:  Calvin Johnson
TE:  Vernon Davis
OT:  Joe Thomas
OG:  Orlando Pace
C:  Nick Mangold
OG: Steve Hutchinson
OT:  Jonathan Ogden

DE:  Julius Peppers
DT:  Haloti Ngata
DT:  Richard Seymour
DE:  Mario Williams
LB:  Ray Lewis
LB:  Patrick Willis
LB:  LaVar Arrington
CB:  Patrick Peterson
FS:  Ed Reed
SS:  Sean Taylor
CB:  Antonio Cromartie

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
Just 1989's top 5 could all be up there: Troy Aikman, Tony Mandarich, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
Just 1989's top 5 could all be up there: Troy Aikman, Tony Mandarich, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders

Troy Aikman is one of the most overrated QBs of all-time.  I get into this argument all the time with a few of the guys on staff with me.  They think Aikman is a Top 5 QB All-Time.

I'm too young to know anything about him as a prospect, but I'm sure he was a good one. 

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 02:44:31 AM »
Troy Aikman is one of the most overrated QBs of all-time.  I get into this argument all the time with a few of the guys on staff with me.  They think Aikman is a Top 5 QB All-Time.

I'm too young to know anything about him as a prospect, but I'm sure he was a good one. 

Considering the guys he was picked over, I assume he was pretty good

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:44:38 AM »
Luke Kuechly
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: nfl draft