Author Topic: Bowles New Defense  (Read 6685 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Bowles New Defense
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
I thought dcm had a couple of kids IIRC.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
I haven't knocked up Heismanberg yet, but we'll keep trying

4 honks
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
. All 3-4 defenses aren't created equal: The Jets have played a 3-4 base since 2006, when Eric Mangini replaced Herm Edwards, but the current scheme is different from the previous two incarnations. Under Todd Bowles, they will use eight-man spacing in the box, meaning it's a one-gap system. Translation: Each of the eight players, including a safety, is responsible for only one gap. Rex Ryan did things a little different, often employing seven-man spacing and a two-gap system, according to players. Ryan actually used a hybrid, mixing both concepts, whereas Mangini ran an old-school 3-4, a pure two-gap scheme.

The new approach hasn't generated much buzz outside the team -- granted, it's kind of technical -- but I can tell you this: The players love the Bowles way. Linebacker Demario Davis told me, "It allows you to run free a lot more, play a little faster because you don't have to worry about playing two gaps. You have one gap. It opens you up to play a lot faster."

Linebacker David Harris took it a step further, predicting the change will be most noticeable on the defensive line. He said, "Guys like Mo (Wilkerson) and Sheldon (Richardson) can come off the ball. I think you'll see a lot of TFLs" -- meaning tackles for loss.

The downside to Bowles' system is that it leaves the cornerbacks in single coverage, but that's why they spent big bucks on Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. You can't play the system without corners who can play press-man coverage.

The happy talk sounds good. Now all they have to do is ... you know, do it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53517/subtle-defensive-change-could-lead-to-more-big-plays-for-jets

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
Good thing ESPN explained what TFL stands for.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »

Tags: