Author Topic: Bowles New Defense  (Read 6686 times)

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Bowles New Defense
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 06:23:26 AM »
No rookie is going to be successful unless he's placed in a comfortable position as he makes his adjustment. I just don't get taking a guy who doesn't fit or who you plan on putting into a position/defense not suited to his talent.

Me n Heismanberg had a similar discussion a few weeks ago in one of these threads. I thought his coverage in zone was underrated as a box safety but not to the extent rex basically asked him to do what he does worst which really never let him get used correctly.

On the few plays where he was used exclusively in tge box as a Blitzer or in short zone concepts he was pretty solid. Problem was this was less than 10 percent of the playcalling it felt like

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
No rookie is going to be successful unless he's placed in a comfortable position as he makes his adjustment. I just don't get taking a guy who doesn't fit or who you plan on putting into a position/defense not suited to his talent.

Rex did that twice- Coples and Pryor. Both first rounders, and used poorly by someone that is supposed to be a defensive guru. Not looking to start and argument on Rex (IS), but Pryor really was doomed from the start of his NFL career.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
Rex did that twice- Coples and Pryor. Both first rounders, and used poorly by someone that is supposed to be a defensive guru. Not looking to start and argument on Rex (IS), but Pryor really was doomed from the start of his NFL career.

Pryor better turn it around this year. 

I still can't believe we passed on Cooks for this guy.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
Was Pryor really that bad last season?
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

yes, but he had trash corners on the outside and Ryan had him playing out of position
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
yes, but he had trash corners on the outside and Ryan had him playing out of position

It was like asking Tommy to help us find a good Korean BBQ restaurant when his real strength is locating rub and tug massage parlors with man-ladies.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:46:53 AM by bojanglesman »

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
We're going to Kim's Nail and Wellness Salon!
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »

When I saw you had the latest post in here, I was wondering if it was one of your potentially trolling questions.  I was disappointed to see the Kim's Nail Salon post, but then I found this!

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
I expect us to create more defensive TOs.  We have been absolutely pathetic in that department in the last few years. Revis certainly helps, but we also need a more attacking mindset at all three levels. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
Taking home team honors in the worst cornerback contest of 2015 are the J-E-T-S. As mentioned earlier, Darrin Walls ranked third-worst in the leading role category. Antonio Allen and Marcus Williams, the Jets' other corners who faced enough targets to be ranked, finished 11th-worst and sixth-worst, respectively, on the list of supporting role corners. And the Jets ranked fourth in adjusted sack rate, making it even more remarkable that the defensive backs covered so ineptly. Their secondary overhaul this offseason represents one of the great one-year rebuilds of a specific position group in NFL history, although improving the old may mean more than the quality of the new. Our charting stats love Revis, but they merely like Buster Skrine (50 percent adjusted success rate, 7.6 adjusted yards per pass) and are lukewarm on Antonio Cromartie (49 percent, 9.2). That trio rates as one of the NFL's best just with Revis and competence around him. It will look even better in comparison to 2014's Walls-Allen-Williams dumpster fire.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/worst-cb-charting-stats-and-more-best

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
1) Their stats had Revis as the #4 corner last year and #1 with adjusted success rate stats.

2) Marcus Williams didn't play as well as I thought he did, and apparently Kyle Wilson didn't play as terrible as everyone here thought he did.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
What is Adjusted Success Rate?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
2) Marcus Williams didn't play as well as I thought he did, and apparently Kyle Wilson didn't play as terrible as everyone here thought he did.

Wilson's production would have been fine if he had been drafted in the 3rd round.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Wilson's production would have been fine if he had been drafted in the 3rd round.

You aren't accounting for Wilson's adjusted accidental drop/overthrow efficiency quotient.  He is elite.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
What is Adjusted Success Rate?

"Success Rate tells you how often the cornerback prevents opposing receivers from what we consider a successful gain: 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third down."

Adjusted Success Rate tweaks the number based on scheme and opponent. Guys #s will take a hit of they are playing zone with safety help over the top going against mediocre receivers (Richard Sherman). If anyone one can grab a mathematical breakdown of the stat, please post.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:16:14 PM by SixFeetDeep »

Tags: