Author Topic: lolphins  (Read 181028 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: lolphins
« Reply #495 on: February 14, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

I agree with the overall premise but the Oline are typically one of the more close knit groups (regardless of how dysfunctional their relationships are) of any unit in the sport. Hard to just avoid everybody all together.

That dynamic was just fucked with Pouncey and Incognito being the "leaders". what a joke

I was talking specifically about the text messages after he had already left the team.  I don't see any reason why he had to try to play nice at that point.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #496 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
I was talking specifically about the text messages after he had already left the team.  I don't see any reason why he had to try to play nice at that point.

oh, yeah...what the freak?

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #497 on: February 14, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »

Apparently Incognito was the only person whose texts Martin did ignore for the first few days. And when he did respond, his justification is that he was still blaming himself for not being able to handle what he considered to have been part of his job.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #498 on: February 14, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
In May, Martin's father had what the report describes as a "father-to-father" conversation with Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin about Martin, during which Philbin assured Martin's father that team would do whatever it could to help Martin.

Wow, that's a detail I haven't heard yet.  That was in May, and ol' Joe didn't think it might be prudent to follow up with his o-line coach or keep an eye on his player during the season? 

All this time, I had thought Philbin was just out of the loop and out of touch with his players. Turns out, he's been willfully oblivious. 

I hope they offer him an extension. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #499 on: February 14, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
Wow, that's a detail I haven't heard yet.  That was in May, and ol' Joe didn't think it might be prudent to follow up with his o-line coach or keep an eye on his player during the season? 

All this time, I had thought Philbin was just out of the loop and out of touch with his players. Turns out, he's been willfully oblivious. 

I hope they offer him an extension.

That's kind of damning. Wasn't there some denial about him knowing that a problem existed?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #500 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
From what I've heard, the report seems to absolve Philbin from wrongdoing, but that quote seems to come from the report too, am I wrong.  Weird.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
From what I've heard, the report seems to absolve Philbin from wrongdoing, but that quote seems to come from the report too, am I wrong.  Weird.

Maybe they meant it absolved him of doing of any kind.

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »

I'm not a lawyer but the NFL are going to play this cagey and give an out to all parties- " locker room banter guidelines" etc
minor smack on the wrist to Incognito and Martin can play again with his moms panties on without rebuke. Win Win.

I love the Dolphins in disarray- I am sad, old and hate them.

...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

I read the entire thing earlier.

Philbin knew he was suicidal (Turner actually met with Martin and was worried about him, then told Philbin) but Martin never told them why. He said he just had mental health issues and the pressure of the game was getting to him.

He never told anyone except his parents and his one friend. Even until the end basically

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
The report is fascinating. Def worth the entire read.

Well thought and put together , and certainly very aware of the unique circumstances and environment.  I think those guys did a fantastic job

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
Loving basically every second of this.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #507 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »
Gotta ask

Do you think that if us signing Sparano, thus taking Dave DeGuglielmo away from the Dolphins contributed to this epic collapse and joke in Miami. (ie if we never signed Sparano, then DeGuglielmo might have stayed in Miami, and this whole mess never wouldve happened)

That it was worth it for us to have to sit through a year of Sparano/DeGuglielmo ?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #508 on: February 14, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »
I bet Philbin would have brought in a new OL coach anyway.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #509 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
That it was worth it for us to have to sit through a year of Sparano/DeGuglielmo ?

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away