Author Topic: lolphins  (Read 178252 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: lolphins
« Reply #1320 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
Safe to say his career is also over

Need to hear it from Schefter first.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1321 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
I mean dude was a 7th round pick who was cut last year. It's a fairly safe assumption his career is over. Horrible situation all around, but hopefully he was smart with his contract and can enjoy retiring at 23 very financially comfortable

But why?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1322 on: July 04, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
But why?

How many one armed nfl players are there?

Not only would I imagine this means he will be out for a solid 2 years rehabbing his injury, then he would have to completely relearn the game. It's not like he has had his whole life to work around and compensate for the injury.

I guess the closest example would be JPP, but he was a far more talented player with a much less serious injury

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1323 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »
I will concede that "had his arm amputated" is fairly vague and we don't know to what extent

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1324 on: July 04, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
I mean dude was a 7th round pick who was cut last year. It's a fairly safe assumption his career is over. Horrible situation all around, but hopefully he was smart with his contract and can enjoy retiring at 23 very financially comfortable

He has total career earnings to date of $245,455. He was scheduled to make $495,000 from the Dolphins this season; none of that is guaranteed although I would imagine that the Dolphins will still pay it, be it from their pockets or via insurance.

$740,000 isn't "retiring at 23 very financially comfortable" wealth.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1325 on: July 04, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
He has total career earnings to date of $245,455. He was scheduled to make $495,000 from the Dolphins this season; none of that is guaranteed although I would imagine that the Dolphins will still pay it, be it from their pockets or via insurance.

$740,000 isn't "retiring at 23 very financially comfortable" wealth.

I assumed he would get the bulk of his rookie contract via insurance,i guess that's not the case?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1326 on: July 04, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
I assumed he would get the bulk of his rookie contract via insurance,i guess that's not the case?

His rookie contract is already gone. He was a 7th round pick for the Panthers, they gave him a four year deal and then cut him in year one and put him on their practice squad on a one year deal. Miami picked him up and gave him a two year deal, but it looks like last year was year one and he earned prorated money.

Total Carolina earnings (2018) - $188,984
Total Miami earnings (2018) - $56,471

Total career earnings - $245,455

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1327 on: July 04, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
His rookie contract is already gone. He was a 7th round pick for the Panthers, they gave him a four year deal and then cut him in year one and put him on their practice squad on a one year deal. Miami picked him up and gave him a two year deal, but it looks like last year was year one and he earned prorated money.

Total Carolina earnings (2018) - $188,984
Total Miami earnings (2018) - $56,471

Total career earnings - $245,455

Sporttrac reported closer to 1 million in career earnings plus the nfl (according to Google) has a disability insurance for players worth close to 200k after taxes.

Probably still not enough to live comfortably

Though I'd guess he could be eligible for medicaid and disability
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:55:19 PM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1328 on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »
Sporttrac reported closer to 1 million in career earnings plus the nfl (according to Google) has a disability insurance for players worth close to 200k after taxes.

Probably still not enough to live comfortably

Though I'd guess he could be eligible for medicaid and disability

Let's assume that he hasn't banked anything so far. If he gets the remainder of his contract paid up by the Dolphins or the insurance, that's a lump sum of $495K (I don't know if that would be taxable). I did a quick google on NFL player insurance and he wouldn't be eligible for two of the three types (Total And Permanent, or Neurocognitive), and the third (Line Of Duty) appears to be only payable for disabilities incurred through football activities. It's possible that one or both of the auto policies will cover him, although with the $1M limit that seems to be fairly standard I would imagine that a lot of that will be chewed up by hospital costs.

Let's take a stab in the dark and say that he ends up, after healthcare and legal and tax all take their scrape, with something like $500K. He's not set for life, but if he's smart he should be able to get himself a home, put himself through school (depending on what of he studied at Miami) and make a new career for himself.

Poor fucker's still only got one arm though.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1329 on: July 04, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
Let's assume that he hasn't banked anything so far. If he gets the remainder of his contract paid up by the Dolphins or the insurance, that's a lump sum of $495K (I don't know if that would be taxable). I did a quick google on NFL player insurance and he wouldn't be eligible for two of the three types (Total And Permanent, or Neurocognitive), and the third (Line Of Duty) appears to be only payable for disabilities incurred through football activities. It's possible that one or both of the auto policies will cover him, although with the $1M limit that seems to be fairly standard I would imagine that a lot of that will be chewed up by hospital costs.

Let's take a stab in the dark and say that he ends up, after healthcare and legal and tax all take their scrape, with something like $500K. He's not set for life, but if he's smart he should be able to get himself a home, put himself through school (depending on what of he studied at Miami) and make a new career for himself.

Poor fucker's still only got one arm though.

Id assume he would have absurdly good health insurance via the nfl though so those costs should be minimal no?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1330 on: July 04, 2019, 03:37:06 PM »
Id assume he would have absurdly good health insurance via the nfl though so those costs should be minimal no?

I think, although I'm far from an expert on how insurance works in the US, that even if the NFL's health insurance covered his treatment costs initially they would subrogate against the auto insurance of the driver found at fault. (Early reports were that the other driver may be to blame for the accident.) If they do that then I presume it would come off the $1M liability limit, thus reducing the amount available for a payout. He could of course sue the other driver for additional losses but that assumes that they have the assets to be sued for; an awful lot of people in this world are judgement proof.

Edit: did a bit of reading about this on Reddit and predictably, I was talking quite a bit of hooey. Here's a post from someone who seems to know what they're talking about:

Oversimplified:

1) he'll recover under his own insurance's PIP coverage. It covers most medical bills and some lost wages, but nothing else and is probably not enough to cover his bills so far.

2) he'll have a claim against the other driver, assuming it was the other driver's fault.

3) The other driver's insurance pays that claim first. There's no way to speculate how much the driver's liability insurance limit is. Unfortunately, most people have less than $100k in liability limits. (Honestly, you should get at least a million. The difference in premiums to go from 100k to 1m is often less than $20 a year.) Unless the other driver was on the job or there's someone else responsible, there's probably inadequate coverage.

4) If the other driver's bodily injury liability insurance limits aren't enough to pay the claim, his own underinsured motorist coverage will kick in. Again, most people skimp on insurance, including professional athletes and other wealthy people I've represented. He's unlikely to have enough UIM to pay the full value of his loss.

5) The other driver remains personally liable. The driver can be forced to pay out of his own pocket. However, the debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy unless the driver was illegally intoxicated. Meaning the debt can be wiped out.

6) his own health insurance will get repaid out of the recovery. It's called subrogation. They get however much they've paid in medical bills for the crash. In this case, I'm guessing low hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So he'll be screwed, probably.

I can't believe you're allowed to have such low liability limits. My policy carries $1M and that's pretty standard here, I think. I'm damn sure I didn't request anything extra.

Apparently the other car in the accident was a Maserati, so there is at least a possibility that the other driver has a) a decent policy and b) assets to go after if they're found to be at fault.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:49:55 PM by Jani Suomi »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1331 on: July 29, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Dolphins have fired offensive line coach Pat Flaherty of his duties and promoted analyst Dave DeGuglielmo to offensive line coach. Flaherty struggled to implement the new system, and it’s been an issue since the spring. It’s why DeGuglielmo was brought in.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1332 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
Can't stop The Goog. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1333 on: September 01, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
Phins traded Kiko Alonso to the Saints
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1334 on: September 01, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
Phins traded Kiko Alonso to the Saints
Moar picks.