Author Topic: Draft Rumors  (Read 109707 times)

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Draft Rumors
« Reply #615 on: April 15, 2020, 10:48:31 AM »
Pretty much every trade he made was good value for us. I don't really care about the other team - if it was win-win then I'm fine with that.

While it was worth it in retrospect to move up for Darnold, it's hard to argue that he didn't overpay in moving up from 6 to 3.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #616 on: April 15, 2020, 10:49:15 AM »
While it was worth it to move up for Darnold, it's hard to argue that he didn't overpay to move up from 6 to 3.

Out of 100 times how many do you not make that trade?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #617 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
Out of 100 times how many do you not make that trade?

In that moment, I would not have given up three 2nd round picks to move up three spots in the draft. In retrospect, everyone loves the trade because we ended up with Darnold. We could have just as easily have ended up with Rosen and been screwed from here to kingdom come.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:05 AM »
Your argument was about value. Objectively, that was not good value.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
In that moment, I would not have given up three 2nd round picks to move up three spots. In retrospect, everyone loves the trade because we ended up with Darnold. We could have just as easily have ended up with Rosen and been screwed from here to kingdom come.

So what you're saying is that it was a really good trade? Also, there was no reason why we would have ended up with Rosen. If you had Mayfield, Darnold and Allen as the top three on your board then you were guaranteed one of them. If Maccagnan had Rosen as one of his top three then the issue was with his board, not the trade.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #620 on: April 15, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
Your argument was about value. Objectively, that was not good value.

Objectively, it clearly was. He guaranteed us a franchise QB.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #621 on: April 15, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
To be fair to Maccagnan, the one thing he was pretty good at was trading. Can't really think of one that wasn't a good deal for us.

Rashard Robinson
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #622 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
So what you're saying is that it was a really good trade? Also, there was no reason why we would have ended up with Rosen. If you had Mayfield, Darnold and Allen as the top three on your board then you were guaranteed one of them. If Maccagnan had Rosen as one of his top three then the issue was with his board, not the trade.

Just because it turned out in our favor does not mean that it was a good decision or fair value at the time the trade was made. At the time, everyone had a difference of opinion on the ordering of the quarterbacks but most people on this board had Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield as their top-3 choices with Allen a distant fourth. I distinctly remember people saying that if Darnold wasn't available (and the assumption at the time was that he was going #1) that they wanted Rosen or Mayfield. Furthermore, if we had simply stood pat at 6 we likely (and history bore this out) would have come away with one of the top-4 quarterbacks anyway.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:40:05 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #623 on: April 15, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
Rashard Robinson

That wasn't so great, but there were mildly extenuating circumstances - our secondary was half dead and mid season the options aren't generally too extensive.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #624 on: April 15, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
Just because it turned out in our favor does not mean that it was a good decision or fair value at the time the trade was made. At the time, everyone had a difference of opinion on the ordering of the quarterbacks but most people on this board had Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield as their top-3 choices with Allen a distant fourth. I distinctly remember people suggesting that if Darnold wasn't available (and the assumption at the time was that he was going #1) that they wanted Rosen or Mayfield. Furthermore, if we had stood pat at 6 we more than likely (and history bore this out) would have come away with one of the top 4 quarterbacks anyway.

By trading up to 3 we guaranteed we got a franchise QB. There's really nothing more to it than that, trying to retcon that trade as a bad move that just happened to work out is one of the more bizarre positions you've taken.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #625 on: April 15, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
Objectively, it clearly was. He guaranteed us a franchise QB.

It also compromised our ability to put talent around that franchise quarterback, though, given Maccagnan’s draft history maybe it wouldn't have made any difference having those extra 2nd round picks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:39:08 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #626 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:25 AM »
By trading up to 3 we guaranteed we got a franchise QB. There's really nothing more to it than that, trying to retcon that trade as a bad move that just happened to work out is one of the more bizarre positions you've taken.

Your argument was about value. We gave up three 2nd round picks to move up three spots. That was not good value.

Knowing how the trade turned out, yes, I would make it again but that is a separate argument.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #627 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:41 AM »
What could we get from the Falcons if we move down? The gap between 11 and 16 isn't enough to get a real haul unless the Falcons are absolutely in love with someone and convinced a deal can't be had to get him any other way. I don't see them parting with much more than a third.

Given your scenario of a run on offensive tackles, unless Douglas has his receivers bunched up with similar grades on his boards, I'd rather he went with the guy he had the most belief and conviction in at 11 then move down just for the sake of a third rounder.

If Atlanta wants to give up their 2nd, they can get higher than us. Which is also good for us, not as good as swinging a deal with us, but if they jump ahead of 11, that pushes an OT down to us. I’d expect if they want to give up their #2 they go to Arizona’s spot at 8, to try and leapfrog the Jaguars for Henderson

If they move with us, I’d expect a 3+ something like a 2021 4th rounder, which equates to a 2020 5th.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:14:28 AM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #628 on: April 16, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »
I side with JE on the Darnold trade. Hindsight is a valid POV for trades and draft picks. The pick turned out to be phenomenal value for the Jets--regardless of what some value board might say. Had he picked Rosen, it would have been far worse value than the board dictates.

You can make arguments about other trades (like the R. Robinson trade) being poor value, but the trade that netted Darnold was fantastic.

Look at it from the POV that while he may have seemingly paid "a lot" months "too early" imagine if he'd have waited? If another team jumped to pay Indy, we lose that spot--and Darnold. If he waits till the draft, we give up a Ditka for Darnold.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #629 on: April 16, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport expects the draft's receiver run to begin at No. 11 with the Jets or No. 12 with the Raiders.
Per Rapsheet, it is "pretty clear that those two teams have had their eyes on receivers." Both clubs, of course, have desperate needs at wideout. Rapoport also confirms that Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb and Alabama's Jerry Jeudy lead most teams' receiver boards. Other receiver-needy squads could always trade up, but selections 1-10 are not obvious receiver landing spots this year.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about