Author Topic: lolJags  (Read 41980 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: lolJags
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2021, 10:21:20 AM »
True but there's a difference between hiring an entry level person with little to no o obligation, vs a 3 year commitment with 10s of millions of dollars for a guy who will probably have more of an impact on the future of your franchise than any other person.

I get it pandemic and stuff.  Honestly at this point as long as Joe Douglas makes the decision, I really shouldn't care if he interviews candidates by freaking carrier pigeon.

I think I'm just bitching because I'd rather have someone like Daboll

I do seven figure deals over video calls without ever meeting the customer in person, and have done for a while. I'm curious what you think can be scripted over a video call that can't be in person, or how a collab session makes it more difficult to assess someone's personality, aptitude or demeanour than meeting in person.

I think there's actually a decent argument that the coming offseason is going to be conducted extensively over video and collab links, and that a candidate's ability to clearly express personality, ideas and process via the medium is going to be very important to recruitment and coaching.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »
I'm curious what you think can be scripted over a video call

Joe Douglas sent all candidates his questions to study before he interviewed them so they could practice with their moms
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »
Why?

Because it's blatantly obvious that offense means way more in the NFL than defense. That plus you have a guy with a recent track record of turning around a young struggling QB, who spent most of his career under Belichick and Saban, has been a part of and won numerous championship games.

Sure BB disciples fail all the time, he's no sure thing. But most HCs fail im general.

I'd rather go with the guy with imo the higher upside, pedigree, and offensive background

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
I'd rather go with the guy with imo the higher upside

How does Brian Daboll have higher upside than Robert Saleh?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »
Because it's blatantly obvious that offense means way more in the NFL than defense. That plus you have a guy with a recent track record of turning around a young struggling QB, who spent most of his career under Belichick and Saban, has been a part of and won numerous championship games.

Sure BB disciples fail all the time, he's no sure thing. But most HCs fail im general.

I'd rather go with the guy with imo the higher upside, pedigree, and offensive background
I agree that offense matters more than defense for a successful franchise, but coaches can come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. As long as Saleh understands how important it is to score points and empowers his OC, I'm fine with hiring a defensive coach.

I'm sure JD and others have been doing background for longer than just this week. They interviewed a ton of guys. He probably had a great connection with Saleh. Bring him in person to make sure that he's the same person in person as he is on Zoom. Close the deal.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:30 AM »
On zoom

I'd rather not get conned by another Adam Gase who can do a mean interview reading off a script from home.

Sure he had a good idea

But I think he should at least wait for this weekends games to see who else is available after Sunday

If Douglas felt Saleh was the guy, then making him the first in person interview makes tons of sense. Give him every opportunity to seal the deal, if he fucks up in person then you pivot to the other candidates you have. If he comes in and continues to knock it out of the park and is the guy you thought he was on zoom, then make your move.

And chances are pretty good none of the candidates we interviewed are done this weekend.

Chiefs (Bienemy) should stomp the Browns
Bills (Daboll) are favorites over the Ravens
Saints (Glenn) are 2-0 vs. the Bucs this year

Is there anyone else in our candidate pool still competing this weekend?

If Saleh was our top guy out of round 1, and kicks derriere at the second interview, then he should be the guy. If they have doubts after 2 days of interviews, then by all means be patient and play the field but my guess is they don't and they won't and Saleh will be announced as the guy by noon tomorrow.
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
5m
As the spotlight shines on Urban Meyer and the #Jaguars, this is interesting: The #Chargers have continued to look into and explore Meyer as a candidate, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo
. The two sides have spoken recently.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2021, 10:38:48 AM »
How does Brian Daboll have higher upside than Robert Saleh?
Upside is a complete bullshit word on my part

But in today's nfl defense doesn't mean excrement

Look at the top 5 defenses.

Rams Ravens Steelers Washington Saints.

Only one of those teams doesn't suck, and that's because they have a hof QB with elite offensive weapons around him.

Meanwhile the top 6 offenses are all legit SB contenders

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »

Only one of those teams doesn't suck, and that's because they have a hof QB with elite offensive weapons around him.

all 5 of those teams made the playoffs.  3 of them made it to the Divisional round.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »

Look at the HCs of the last 20 SB winners.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
building a good rapport/connection with your interviewer is much harder on zoom than it is in person

if saleh was able to make a great first impression with JD via their zoom interview to the point that it led to interview #2, then that is a positive for him, not a negative against him

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
I'm not repeating the outdated "defense wins championships" platitude but I'm just saying it's not cut and dry one way or another.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Look at the HCs of the last 20 SB winners.

How many of them had HOF QBs?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »

5 playoff teams, 3 still alive in the playoffs. And only 2 of those teams have decent quarterbacks. What am I missing....

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
How many of them had HOF QBs?
Did those QBs become HOFers because they had offensively minded HCs?

Tags: