Author Topic: Top pass rushers  (Read 14925 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Top pass rushers
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
If the Jets were to draft a pass rusher at 6 (again, for argument's sake), the big names at that spot appear to be Fowler, Ray and Gregory.  I'm no expert, but I have even less clue about who would be the best fit for the Jets at this position.  A lot of people have Randy Gregory gone before 6 anyway.  Opinions?

FYI, I happened to notice this little tidbit under the NFL.com draft profile of Dante Fowler, Jr.:

SOURCES TELL US "He's had to play at different weights and different spots on the field, and I think he's finally understanding how to use his athleticism to dominate a game. He will be way better in the pros than what he is now." -- AFC East college director of scouting

hmmmmm.......

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
Re: Top pass rushers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
Nice catch with the AFC east there... I would like to have Fowler, but damn, the thought of 7 straight defensive players in the first is just sickening.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
Nice catch with the AFC east there... I would like to have Fowler, but damn, the thought of 7 straight defensive players in the first is just sickening.

If we had hit on enough of these first round defensive players, we might not need to keep doing it.  I don't understand why people care how many defensive players we've taken in the first.  If we need a certain position and the best player available is that position, you take him.  Not you specifically, but I've seen plenty of idiots saying we can't take a certain player because we've drafted defense in the first round a million times in a row.

If Kyle Wilson and Quinton Coples played like first round talents, and Milliner wasn't always mending, we'd be taking more offensive players in the first.  Some of it is bad luck (Milliner), a fair amount of it is the previous administration (probably Rex) trying to fit a round peg in a square hole (Pryor, Coples).  I don't blame anyone but Kyle Wilson for Kyle Wilson sucking.  He was a high draft pick by most every analyst out there and most everyone lauded the pick.  He wasn't placed out of position like some of the others.

During Rex's tenure (whether it was his fault or not), we had 7 first round picks.  So far, only 2 have played to anywhere near that level.  That's atrocious.  The freaking Miami Dolphins have hit on 5 of their 6 in that time.  Buffalo, 3 of 6.  Hell, NE's only had 4 1st round picks in that time, and you know they were all late rounds ones.  They've hit on 3 of them, and that's not even counting Easley.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:17:16 AM by bojanglesman »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »
But back to pass rushers in the draft........

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
With a new regime in place you have to throw out draft history at  this point. If BPA is defense at #6 I have no issue with it. I'm sure we would all prefer some offensive first round talent but I'd hate to have our direction dictated by the selections of people no longer employed with the team.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »
this team has been lacking a true OLB pass rushing threat since we switched to the 3-4 under Mangini. 

ideally we would draft a guy to be an outside speed rusher that could also drop into coverage, letting Coples start at the "Set the Edge" OLB position that Calvin Pace has played the past few years.

Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler Jr., and Vic Beasley could all theoretically fill that role, but I don't know enough about those individual prospects to give solid input. Ive been much more focused on the Offensive prospects.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

It doesn't bother me much because there's a new regime here and I consider it a fresh start.

If the Jets can adequately address the offense in free agency, I see no problem with taking a top pass rusher.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
this team has been lacking a true OLB pass rushing threat since we switched to the 3-4 under Mangini. 

ideally we would draft a guy to be an outside speed rusher that could also drop into coverage, letting Coples start at the "Set the Edge" OLB position that Calvin Pace has played the past few years.

I too would like us to draft that unicorn.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »

I too would like us to draft that unicorn.

The coverage responsibilities needed as the primary LB rusher in a 34 are so limited that all you need to see is general athleticism to know a guy can handle it.

Fowler is the best of the group, and, quite honestly, I don't think any others are really all that special. Gregory is a natural pass rusher, but he needs to translate that by getting tougher. Shane Ray just seems solid, more of a top 25 guy than a top 5 guy.

Vic Beasley is a stud, but can't play in a 34, unless it's inside.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
Vic Beasley is a stud, but can't play in a 34, unless it's inside.

I don't even know if he can play ILB in the 3-4.  He just doesn't want much to do with stopping the run.  It's not like he's not big enough or athletic enough to do it, he just doesn't seem to have the mentality to consistently take on blockers. 

I think he'd be a very intriguing fit in Dan Quinn's scheme in Atlanta. 

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »

I don't even know if he can play ILB in the 3-4.  He just doesn't want much to do with stopping the run.  It's not like he's not big enough or athletic enough to do it, he just doesn't seem to have the mentality to consistently take on blockers. 

I think he'd be a very intriguing fit in Dan Quinn's scheme in Atlanta.

You've mentioned his inconsistency talking on blockers before, but I really don't see that as a weakness for him. He takes on blockers a lot better than some of the guys that people are hyping as 34 OLBs or even 43 des, uses his hands extremely well, and is tremendous at moving his body through gaps that open. I think as a weak side OLB he could be a killer flowing to the ball and shooting gaps that open to make plays. Plus his length and athleticism is a problem in space. He'd play a lot like Bart Scott in that role.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
You've mentioned his inconsistency talking on blockers before, but I really don't see that as a weakness for him.

I see it as a weakness against the run - he gets his derriere handed to him more often than not if a blocker gets his hands on him and drives

Cane

• Chad Pennington
Top pass rushers
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »
I see it as a weakness against the run - he gets his derriere handed to him more often than not if a blocker gets his hands on him and drives
When he's playing as a true end, I agree that he'd have trouble once an ot gets locked on. That's why I'm baffled why anyone would ever claim 34 OLB, where those one on one match ups are for more common. That said, you can tell how aggressively he took that job on at Clemson, and any time he got to that tackle at a good angle he could control him. You put him back at LB to let him take advantage of his burst and strength and no guard is going to be get his hands on him. Kid is going to be coming downhill in a bad way and blowing things up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:59:33 PM by Cane »

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
It doesn't bother me much because there's a new regime here and I consider it a fresh start.

If the Jets can adequately address the offense in free agency, I see no problem with taking a top pass rusher.

I agree, and the direction of the draft is obviously largely affected by FA. If the Jets go out and sign Iupati and Cobb, there isnt really a pressing need on offense other than QB.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:14 PM »
Where do you guys rank Beasley after his combine?

Tags: nfl draft