Author Topic: Draft Amateur's Corner  (Read 25708 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Draft Amateur's Corner
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »
I figure people like me who don't watch a ton of college football could have a thread to ask about players and get opinions on them based on our limited knowledge. Also so I can get people fighting in here and spout off the knowledge to others as if I knew it all along.

So, Duke Johnson.  Dude looks like he has burst like crazy but is slight of build.  Seems like he would be a solid complement to Ivory, but our high pick in the second might be a little early for him. Thoughts?

Also it seems to me that Dorial Green-Beckham will be this year's Vontaze Burfict.  If he is still on the board for us in the 2nd and isn't a total nutcase in his interviews......

Why does anyone mention a team trading up with the Jets to get Mariota?  Who would they be trying to leapfrog? Chicago or Atlanta isn't going to draft a QB early.  If anything, they'd be trying to get in front of us.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:13:13 AM by bojanglesman »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Draft Amateur's Corner
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
Also it seems to me that Dorial Green-Beckham will be this year's Vontaze Burfict.  If he is still on the board for us in the 2nd and isn't a total nutcase in his interviews......

Wouldn't use anything higher than a 4th on him. 

Year away from the game and off the field issues. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »
Pretty sure everyone here is a draft amateur unless they're being paid for their insight.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
Pretty sure everyone here is a draft amateur unless they're being paid for their insight.

I'm an amateur compared to our amateurs.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
I'm Canadian.

5 levels below "amateur"
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »

every player I mock turns to gold.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »

They will never be as good as Jackson Jeffcoat.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I don't even know enough to ask about specific players.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »

I still remember being congratulated for taking Stephen Hill in the 3rd for the Dolphins in the YDKF mock.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Shellder Richardson

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »

I'm Jeff Ireland and I still fall under that category.

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
I'm definitely an amateur and like to ramp up the draft talk this time of year.  I've been breaking down some of our biggest positions of need (RB, WR, OLB,) a bit lately and will share some of my thoughts here.  Again, just like everyone else I'm more wrong than right and definitely am no expert; just thought since I've looked over some stuff I'd share.

First Mariota:
He's the only QB I've really looked at so far, mainly because I don't expect us to end up with Winston and the others just don't really interest me (besides maybe Grayson and Bennett).  Mariota is an enigma.  He has the size, arm strength (not elite but definitely above average), intangibles and perceived work ethic to be a top QB. However, his accuracy is shaky and honestly, no one knows how he is at processing information and his accuracy and ability from the pocket (because he's never done it).  Anyone who claims he's the next great QB or the next great QB bust is truly guessing (more so than usual during the draft process).  The biggest thing with Mariota is how he processes information and how quickly he does so in his individual meetings with teams.  If the Jets end up with Mariota i'll have to assume he did well processing information and will not be upset with the pick.

Wide Receiver
-Cooper, White and Parker are top 10 guys in this class to me.  All 3 have #1 WR potential and in today's NFL where the passing game is so key and #1 wideouts don't make it to UFA (unless they have serious character issues or are older) a WR at 6 is no reach.
-White is dynamic when the ball is in the air, strong athleticly, but will not be a guy to take the top off a defense.
-Parker is very intriguing to me, mainly because when I watch him his game is hard for me to compare to.  He's a crazy jumper, about 6'3 and very slender.  He kind of looks like Braylon Edwards to me (not game wise, physically and the way he strides) which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Might be my favorite of the 3; very intriguing to me. High compete level.
-Dorsett is QUICK, and seems like a pretty good route runner; Sleeper for round 1 to me, fits the mold of the new WR.
-Agholor, Hardy and Greene all don't look the part of an outside receiver to me. LOT of good slot guys in this draft's mid rounds.
-Coates and Montgomery have outside receiver potential but are raw and have questionable (very?) hands.
-Sleepers- Kenny Bell, Darren Waller, Titus Davis

Outside Linebacker
-Lots of depth in this class in the mid rounds.
-Not as big a fan of Ray as many; want to see how he measures at the combine and seems a bit stiff; doesn't utilize a large variety of pass rush moves but that's not something that can't be learned.
-Higher on Vic Beasley than most; dynamic, dynamic athlete who is an edge rusher through and through (3/4 or 4/3). Similar to Mingo on tape and if I had to choose between the 2 at this stage I probably lean more towards Vic.
-Eli Harold, Lorenzo Mauldin and Paul Dawson are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad men (Screamin' A). Tough, physical, nose for the ball. Will be dynamic guys at the next level.  All have round 1 potential.
-Bud Dupree is kind of slipping under the radar at the moment but I expect him to blow the combine up; very athletic, great measurable, and put up big numbers on a bad team against top competition.
-Hau'Oli Kikaha flashes late 1/early 2 pass rush ability but his injury history is concerning.
-Not a huge fan of Nate Orchard or Omawagbe Odhigizuwa
-sleeper- Jermauria Rasco

Running Back
-Won't say much about Gurley or Gordon; dynamic 3 down backs that in the right situation are top 5 RB's in the league in their prime.
-Not a huge Tevin Coleman guy; runs too high for me, I question his ability to run inside.
-Ajayi is dynamic, worth an early to mid 2nd. Runs with purpose, finds holes, makes guys miss, dynamic in the passing game.  Does have injury concerns however and never really saw him truly "stay in there" in pass pro.
-Davis, Cobb, Langford, Artis-Payne, Yeldon, Karlos Williams are simply JAG's for me.
-Abdullah- dynamic space guy, quick, great hands, high character.  Potential for a 3 down back; as talented as any running back in this class just has major size issues.
-Havent seen: Duke Johnson, Javorius Allen, David Johnson.
-Sleepers: Michael Dyer, Josh Robinson, John Crockett

I know it's long and don't expect anyone to read but figured since we had this thread and i had these thoughts, I'd share.  OT and Safety up next.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »
Oohhh, don't worry Sir. A smart person will be reading anything you post.

I'm on the same page with a lot of stuff, so I'll just pick out a couple things that stood out to me.

I also have the three WRs top ten, probably top five for me actually.

I'm surprised by the near universal love for Dorsett. I knew the workouts would blow him up some, but we're already talking Rd1 and he didn't even run yet. A lot of Canes showing out so far this offseason.

Of the LBs, I'm with you on Dawson and Mauldin, and to a slightly lesser extent Harold. Where were in absolute agreement is Vic Beasely, who doesn't get credit for what he can be in different schemes. The kid is dynamic as a passrusher usher and a great athlete to play in space. He's got great body control and plays strong with the long frame to add weight if needed.

I disagree about Owa Odighizuwa, I'm a big fan of his. I think he's a candidate for rd 1, and if not I'd take him in rd 2. He's strong and athletic, and has the body to handle a regular 43 or 34 role.

I don't disagree too much with the JAG RB list. Two of my top five guys are in your haven't watched yet, Duke and David Johnson.

I'm interested to see your perspective on the OTs.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
Is there really an o-lineman worth taking at 6?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

Is there really an o-lineman worth taking at 6?

no
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: nfl draft