Author Topic: Rex Ryan leaves door open for QB change in presser [after Cincy game]  (Read 24663 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Rex Ryan leaves door open for QB change in presser [after Cincy game]
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
Now that we'll have plenty of cap space we can actually test free agency instead of piecemealing a roster together due to bloated contracts.

The Jets wound up with a lot of those bloated contracts by overspending in free agency. They need to go through the draft and as much as I like the QB talent in this draft class it's not the last draft. This team has needs at every skill position and relying on FA to fill all of those positions will put them right back in that position.

Draft some guys to help out an incoming QB.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »

Because guys like that dont usually last until the end of the 1st round

Hell im looking at the nfl standings now, and starting from the current 1st projected draft pick these teams NEED qbs

Jacksonville, Tampa, Minnesota, Houston, (possibly St Louis, San Diego, Pittsburgh)  Cleveland

Depending where we end up there could easily be 4+ qbs drafted before we even pick

San Diego and Pittsburgh taking first round QBs?  What?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
And if we trade all of our draft picks for the 4th or 5th QB in the draft, wed have to spend all of it on overpriced free agents.

It's way too early to say what we'd have to trade.  One might fall into our laps.  We might not have to move up much at all depending on our record. 

We need a QB with big-time potential.  We took our chance in 2009 with Sanchez and it didn't work out.  Time to try again.  JE is right.  Teams with no QB don't go far. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
The Jets will probably end up with Manziel just to watch him crash and burn like the player of the pink oboe that he is

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »
We had bloated contracts because of poor choices and overpaying. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

There are rumors of Roethlisberger demanding a trade at the end of the season. They're more than likely bullshit.

We had bloated contracts because of poor choices and overpaying. 

Good players cost a lot of money as well.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »

There are rumors of Roethlisberger demanding a trade at the end of the season. They're more than likely bullshit.

Rumors that he excrement all over last week.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »

Possibilities, there have been trade rumors for the rapist last year, and again this year.  I dont know how likely it is, but its within the realm of possibility. And there were rumors of Rivers being let go by SD last year, obviously hes turned it around a bit. But hes due a big chunk of money and is getting older, so I dont know if they draft for the future or what. I guess its not as likely with him as hes having a pretty nice resurgence this year though.

I dont think either of them are probable though. But the original point was simply, the Jets arent in the best situation to draft a QB. Theres a serious chance that the luxury of one falling into our lap that we like isnt there. Idzik seems frugal with picks, so I think trading a years worth of picks for a qb isnt likely.

In the event that we cant get a guy that we like in the draft, were going to have to look elsewhere. Which means at both free agency, and Sancez
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:12:14 PM by dcm1602 »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Rumors that he excrement all over last week.

As I said, probably bullshit.

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
I'm ready for the Jets third high profile QB taken in the top 50 picks in the past 5 seasons.

Bring it on, fuckers.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »
Geno's passer rating today was 10.1.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Because guys like that dont usually last until the end of the 1st round

Hell im looking at the nfl standings now, and starting from the current 1st projected draft pick these teams NEED qbs

Jacksonville, Tampa, Minnesota, Houston, (possibly St Louis, San Diego, Pittsburgh)  Cleveland

Depending where we end up there could easily be 4+ qbs drafted before we even pick

Mike Glennon and Case Keenum may have done enough to keep their jobs next season. 

The Rams aren't going to move on from Sam Bradford.  He was having a solid year until he got hurt.  They've built that team around him, he just has to stay healthy now.

Jacksonville
Oakland
Minnesota
Tennessee (Jake Locker is owed $15M in 2015 and the team has to decide a club option this offseason)
Cleveland
Arizona

These are the six teams that I can see taking a QB high. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
And if we trade all of our draft picks for the 4th or 5th QB in the draft, wed have to spend all of it on overpriced free agents.

We wouldn't have to trade all of our picks to move up a few spots (four or five slots).

That's not that much separation between Teddy Bridgewater and the four or five other dudes that will be considered first round prospects at the position.  In fact, I don't even think Bridgewater is the best prospect at the position.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: smunt bengals