Author Topic: The Obituary Column  (Read 207086 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: The Obituary Column
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:31:02 PM by Badger »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »
Last surviving Hiroshima bomb crew member dies

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28548475

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Last surviving Hiroshima bomb crew member dies

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28548475

Well that stinks, that generation is passing on too fast. Funny you have to quote BBC about a guy that was an American hero.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
Though I totally 100pct believe that they made the right decision, I wouldn't exactly call him a hero.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
Though I totally 100pct believe that they made the right decision, I wouldn't exactly call him a hero.

I wrestled with that last part of my post, actually, part of it was I knew it would controversial.

The thing is, he was. He and the other crew members helped usher in the end of the war, and they weren't entirely sure they would make it back alive.

Would you have went on that mission? I don't know if I would have.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:32:07 AM by Miamipuck »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »

Well if we are going to label any man, woman or service animal that serves a hero, there is no reason he shouldn't be considered one.
Need a new one for a new board...

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »
Well if we are going to label any man, woman or service animal that serves a hero, there is no reason he shouldn't be considered one.

Not what I did and I wouldn't label just anyone the word, hero. He was part and parcel to an event that led to the end of the war. I am fairly certain he volunteered for it and that they weren't sure they would make it out alive. By not making it out alive, any war mission that was the case, but in this singular instance there was concern the explosion would kill them or knock them out of the air.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:18:36 AM by Miamipuck »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Not what I did and I wouldn't label just anyone the word, hero. He was part and parcel to an event that led to the end of the war. I am fairly certain he volunteered for it and that they weren't sure they would make it out alive. By not making it out alive, any war mission that was the case, but in this singular instance there was concern the explosion would kill them or knock them out of the air.

No I didn't mean you, but the general population considers anyone who serves as a hero. It drives me nuts.
Need a new one for a new board...

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
No I didn't mean you, but the general population considers anyone who serves as a hero. It drives me nuts.

Yeah I agree.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
I wouldn't consider a man directly responsible for murdering tens of thousands of civilians a hero. I'd argue he's a war criminal

But only the losing side are considered war criminals. The winners are "heros". Look throughout history and this is Almost universally the case.

No one talks about how the soviets literally committed millions of rapes after they occupied Germany or how American soldiers did the same (on a much  much smaller scale) in France  after they liberated the country. There was even a saying in France that they had to hide their men from the Germans soldiers , but their women from the Americans.

I think many Americans are indoctrinated/ blind to our brutal military history. Vietnam being one of the biggest examples. What we did to that country is beyond horrific and it was
Systematically done by incompetent military leadership. The government and military did a lot to cover it up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:08:59 PM by JFIF »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
Tough crowd here

Stopping Hitler and the Nazi's not good enough for ya

These guys were on the side that were committing genocide, and trying to exterminate groups of people from existence.

Bad things happened, but it was to stop some of the worst people in all of time

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:16:59 PM by dcm1602 »

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:49 PM »
I wouldn't consider a man directly responsible for murdering tens of thousands of civilians a hero. I'd argue he's a war criminal

But only the losing side are considered war criminals. The winners are "heros". Look throughout history and this is Almost universally the case.

No one talks about how the soviets literally committed millions of rapes after they occupied Germany or how American soldiers did the same (on a much  much smaller scale) in France  after they liberated the country. There was even a saying in France that they had to hide their men from the Germans soldiers , but their women from the Americans.

I think many Americans are indoctrinated/ blind to our brutal military history. Vietnam being one of the biggest examples. What we did to that country is beyond horrific and it was
Systematically done by incompetent military leadership. The government and military did a lot to cover it up.

Ain't war hell?

"Wrong!"

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
Pretty much.

Complete dehumanization of the enemy, visceral brutality.

Modern warfare and weaponary is largely responsible. Not that atrocities didn't exist before that (ie Mongol Hordes)  but it made it so much easier and on a larger scale.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
And just something interesting from Wikipedia I read
On August 7, a day after Hiroshima was destroyed, Dr. Yoshio Nishina and other atomic physicists arrived at the city, and carefully examined the damage. They then went back to Tokyo and told the cabinets that Hiroshima was indeed destroyed by an atomic bomb. Admiral Soemu Toyoda, the Chief of the Naval General Staff, estimated that no more than one or two additional bombs could be readied so they decided to endure the remaining attacks, acknowledging "there would be more destruction but the war would go on."[161] American Magic codebreakers intercepted the cabinets' messages.[162]

So Japan knew what would happen, but decided that getting hit by 2 or 3 more bombs would be "acceptable"

Pretty effed up leadership

Tags: