Author Topic: The Obituary Column  (Read 207128 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Obituary Column
« Reply #1710 on: November 09, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »
Dean Stockwell (dude from Quantum Leap)

OG Wellington Yueh.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1711 on: November 11, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
F.W. De Klerk, white supremacist

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1712 on: November 11, 2021, 06:35:19 PM »
Condolences MJ
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1713 on: November 11, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »
Lmao
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1714 on: November 11, 2021, 10:02:45 PM »

Admittedly I don't know excrement about South African politics, but didn't he help end apartheid?

Condolences MJ

Just can't help yourself can you. It's not my problem you're utterly pre programmed to spew whatever freaking shitlib narrative you read last.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1715 on: November 12, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »

Just can't help yourself can you. It's not my problem you're utterly pre programmed to spew whatever freaking shitlib narrative you read last.

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1716 on: November 12, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »

I'd have a lot more respect if you were honest about your intentions that you don't give a freak about the facts or circumstances of that situation and are just out for blood for whatever reason.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1717 on: November 12, 2021, 08:14:59 AM »
Anyway, in an effort to get a thread back on track to it's intended purpose, Graeme Edge, drummer for the Moody Blues passed away at 80.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1718 on: November 12, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »

I am not debating if he was a good guy or not because I have no idea, but he ended Apartheid against his parties wishes taking many by surprise, not sure if that's the correct moniker.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #1719 on: November 12, 2021, 08:18:37 AM »
I'd have a lot more respect if you were honest about your intentions that you don't give a freak about the facts or circumstances of that situation and are just out for blood for whatever reason.

It's MB, he's just trying and succeeding in getting a rise out of you.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1720 on: November 12, 2021, 08:29:26 AM »
I am not debating if he was a good guy or not because I have no idea, but he ended Apartheid against his parties wishes taking many by surprise, not sure if that's the correct moniker.

It's complicated. He was certainly one of the key catalysts for change, but he did so in the face of massively mounting international pressure and sanctions, and he was widely disliked by both whites for making it happen and blacks for not doing it earlier or quickly enough.

What is inarguable is that he was the man who freed Mandela and in doing so made the ending of apartheid unstoppable.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1721 on: November 12, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
It's completely possible to oppose an horrific form of oppression and still be a white supremacist. See: the vast majority of abolitionists active prior to the Civil War.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1722 on: November 12, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
It's complicated. He was certainly one of the key catalysts for change, but he did so in the face of massively mounting international pressure and sanctions, and he was widely disliked by both whites for making it happen and blacks for not doing it earlier or quickly enough.

What is inarguable is that he was the man who freed Mandela and in doing so made the ending of apartheid unstoppable.

This, too.

Thanks to the sanctions and international pressure there was already broad support for ending Apartheid among the white minority government (1992 referendum on Apartheid: the vote to continue negotiations to end Apartheid passed 2:1, with the no vote only carrying two provinces).

De Klerk was also accused of either authorizing or failing to punish officials who participated in numerous violent raids against opposition parties. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #1723 on: November 12, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »

It's complicated and like I said I don't think he was a white supremist because one would not have done what he did, that doesn't mean he's South Africa's version of Abe Lincoln. I suppose he could have held his nose and did it.

The fact that he's hated by many whites and blacks, on the face of it, means he probably did something right and something wrong and there's no good answer for him.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1724 on: November 12, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »

Fair point Puck but en route to the presidency, during his days as a minister de Klerk supported and enforced apartheid.  And call me cynical but any 'magnanimity' one may want to credit de Klerk with should be viewed in context, i.e. that apartheid made less and less sense economically in the face of an increasingly strident international court of public opinion. 

edit - true trivia:  Douglaston, Queens' own John Patrick McEnroe was offered $1,000,000 to play an exhibition against Bjorn Borg in Sun City back in the day.  While the 'progressive' Swede Borg was game, Johnny Mac to his everlasting credit refused.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tennis/comments/8ik0zt/in_1980_mcenroe_was_offered_1m_to_play_an/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:39:52 PM by delavan »

Tags: