Author Topic: The Obituary Column  (Read 206238 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: The Obituary Column
« Reply #1725 on: November 12, 2021, 06:03:25 PM »
Fair point Puck but en route to the presidency, during his days as a minister de Klerk supported and enforced apartheid.  And call me cynical but any 'magnanimity' one may want to credit de Klerk with should be viewed in context, i.e. that apartheid made less and less sense economically in the face of an increasingly strident international court of public opinion. 

edit - true trivia:  Douglaston, Queens' own John Patrick McEnroe was offered $1,000,000 to play an exhibition against Bjorn Borg in Sun City back in the day.  While the 'progressive' Swede Borg was game, Johnny Mac to his everlasting credit refused.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tennis/comments/8ik0zt/in_1980_mcenroe_was_offered_1m_to_play_an/

Not a hill I am going to die on. History is littered with people that you can make an argument either way on.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1726 on: November 12, 2021, 08:51:23 PM »
Fair point Puck but en route to the presidency, during his days as a minister de Klerk supported and enforced apartheid.  And call me cynical but any 'magnanimity' one may want to credit de Klerk with should be viewed in context, i.e. that apartheid made less and less sense economically in the face of an increasingly strident international court of public opinion. 

edit - true trivia:  Douglaston, Queens' own John Patrick McEnroe was offered $1,000,000 to play an exhibition against Bjorn Borg in Sun City back in the day.  While the 'progressive' Swede Borg was game, Johnny Mac to his everlasting credit refused.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tennis/comments/8ik0zt/in_1980_mcenroe_was_offered_1m_to_play_an/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopKk56jM-I
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1727 on: November 14, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »
It's complicated. He was certainly one of the key catalysts for change, but he did so in the face of massively mounting international pressure and sanctions, and he was widely disliked by both whites for making it happen and blacks for not doing it earlier or quickly enough.

What is inarguable is that he was the man who freed Mandela and in doing so made the ending of apartheid unstoppable.

de Klerk is basically Gorbachev. True believer in the system that was sort of forced to change it, kinda sorta realized the system they were supporting was fucked but too ingrained/old. But he was also behind atrocities like the Craddock Four.

Ultimately I do think it's harder than given credit for to dismantle such systems and to get the Nats to lay down arms (even if things were trending in that way) and for that he should get at least some credit.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1728 on: November 15, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »
Julio Lugo
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1730 on: November 23, 2021, 04:39:07 PM »
Lou Cutell (the Assman from Seinfeld)
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

delavan

• Shaun Ellis

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #1732 on: November 29, 2021, 06:27:09 PM »
virgil abloh

kobe, chadwick, virgil. tired of this excrement

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1733 on: December 05, 2021, 08:48:24 PM »
Bob Dole.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1734 on: December 10, 2021, 03:50:45 AM »
Demaryius Thomas, would’ve turned 34 Christmas Day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1469175047130595330

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1735 on: December 10, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1736 on: December 11, 2021, 07:42:38 AM »
Al Unser Sr

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1737 on: December 12, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Author Anne Rice, 80, stroke

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1739 on: December 16, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »

Tags: