Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 39018 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Documentaries
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2021, 02:04:57 AM »
Roadrunner was incredibly sad
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »
The HBO Woodstock 99 doc is very good.

My low key favorite part was bringing in Dave Mustaine to make fun of Lars Ulrich for the Napster lawsuit.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
The two epsiodes of Untold I've seen so far have been excellent - Malice At The Palace and Deal With The Devil (about the boxer Christy Martin). I'm struggling to get interested in the one about Caitlyn Jenner although I'll probably get round to it, but the hockey one looks really interesting as well.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2021, 09:31:52 PM »
The two epsiodes of Untold I've seen so far have been excellent - Malice At The Palace and Deal With The Devil (about the boxer Christy Martin). I'm struggling to get interested in the one about Caitlyn Jenner although I'll probably get round to it, but the hockey one looks really interesting as well.

i've talked about this multiple times with my friends in the past

the malice in the palace will likely be the most fascinating live 'as it's happening' moment i will ever see/watch in my life

i often think about how insane the reactions would be if it happened during our current era with twitter around. it's the only thing that could make it better than it already is/was

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2021, 08:03:18 AM »

Have now watched the hockey one (Untold: Crimes & Penalties) and it's the best of the bunch. I don't want to give anything away if you don't know the story, but it's about a mob boss who bought a minor hockey franchise in Danbury CT and installed his 17 year old son as President. It's brilliant and all sports fans should watch it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »
Last one in the Untold series is predictably brilliant, about the US tennis player Mardy Fish. Heard of him but knew nothing about him, and care not one excrement about tennis, but it's an incredibly compelling story.

Also I thought Andy Roddick was supposed to be a dick, but he comes across as a really good dude.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »
Last one in the Untold series is predictably brilliant, about the US tennis player Mardy Fish. Heard of him but knew nothing about him, and care not one excrement about tennis, but it's an incredibly compelling story.

Also I thought Andy Roddick was supposed to be a dick, but he comes across as a really good dude.

Concur. The Mardy Fish doc was fantastic. Roddick comes off very supportive too.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »
Probably my favourite writer, so hopefully this will be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbunvLdbWxA&ab_channel=IFCFilms

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
Jodorowsky’s Dune.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
Have now watched the hockey one (Untold: Crimes & Penalties) and it's the best of the bunch. I don't want to give anything away if you don't know the story, but it's about a mob boss who bought a minor hockey franchise in Danbury CT and installed his 17 year old son as President. It's brilliant and all sports fans should watch it.
This was amazing. I, frankly, didn’t remember any of this from when it happened but it was really good.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2022, 02:09:15 PM »
Probably seeing this later in the week.

https://youtu.be/wgj7DUEtfg0

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »
Batman & Bill on Hulu

A documentary about Bill Finger, Batman's uncredited other creator.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2022, 09:00:18 PM »
Drive To Survive is better every season and the latest is no exception. It has to be in the running for the best sports documentary ever made - I can't think of another one that is actually better than the sport it's covering. I don't mean that facetiously, if you just watch the races you're not seeing all the internecine struggles and getting the various insider perspectives on why they're happening. I watched the race on Sunday and it was fine, but mostly quite boring until the last few laps. DTS is absolutely thrilling from first minute to last.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2022, 06:17:04 PM »
Watched a couple of excellent docs while on my travels last weekend.

Ninth Floor is about the race riot at a Montreal University in the late 60s that had far reaching effects on the enshrinement of equal rights and multiculturalism in Canada's Constitution. I'd never heard of the riot before, the filmmaker tracked down a lot of the key players and restored a lot of old footage. It's pretty compelling.

I'd also never heard of Dawn Raid Entertainment, but many of you might have. They are/were a hip hop label, clothing company, promoter and a bunch of other things besides from New Zealand, and Dawn Raid is their story. The two main guys feature throughout the film and they come across as such decent blokes that it's really engaging. Recommended even if you're not into hip hop.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2022, 12:34:20 PM »
Probably my favourite writer, so hopefully this will be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbunvLdbWxA&ab_channel=IFCFilms

Update: it was indeed excellent.

Tags: