Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 190510 times)

steves850

• Chad Pennington
    • SteveFlix
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #870 on: August 08, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
I like it but not my favorite.

It came on the radio and I swore it was a song off of lateralus - it's good but not great.
Tom Brady kisses his kids like that kid from Glee who hung himself last week.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #871 on: August 08, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
I’m going to see Slayer, Primus, Ministry and, apparently, Phil Anselmo perform Vulgar Display of Power at MSG in November. Should be nuts.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #872 on: August 08, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
It's growing on me each time I hear it.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #873 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
I’m going to see Slayer, Primus, Ministry and, apparently, Phil Anselmo perform Vulgar Display of Power at MSG in November. Should be nuts.
Saw Slayer last year in Toronto supported by Anthrax and Lamb Of God. Thought it would be awesome. It was better.

I think they really mean it though, which is sad.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #874 on: August 08, 2019, 11:13:31 PM »
Saw Slayer last year in Toronto supported by Anthrax and Lamb Of God. Thought it would be awesome. It was better.

I think they really mean it though, which is sad.
I’ve heard neither Kerry King or Dave Lombardo are playing so that instantly bothers me. Still, I’m looking forward to it.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #875 on: August 09, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »
We almost went to this, but it was in a shitty outdoor amphitheater in Houston and it was 100+ degrees out. 
Jimmy Eat World drummer called Stephan Jenkins a creepy freaking douchebag after the last day of the tour (the show I actually went to).
https://alt1053.radio.com/blogs/dallas/jimmy-eat-world-drummer-calls-third-eye-blinds-stephan-jenkins-fing-creepy-d-bag

Jimmy was great. I had only seen them once. They put on a great show, don't talk a lot, provide a lot of energy, and all of their songs rock. Even their newer songs, which I can't really say about 3EB.

I've actually seen Third Eye Blind 2-3 times this year because they've played at a couple festivals I've gone to. Their first album was one of my favorite albums growing up, and it still holds up very well. But Jenkins is so freaking annoying on stage. I try not to let that get in the way of my love of that album, but he just seems like such a diva. This article from two years ago didn't help. https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/6/16042244/third-eye-blind-20th-anniversary-semi-charmed-life-xeb-1f6cb7524abc

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #876 on: August 09, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
You know, I never thought of it like that, but you might be right. Corey is a bit weird. He clearly loves Stone Sour (and honestly, I prefer Stone Sour to Slipknot) so maybe that's going to be his focus? He has a lot more control over Stone Sour than Slipknot--it has long appeared to me that Crahan views Knot as his band. Also, I remember Corey being really unsure if he even wanted to go back to Knot after Gray died.

Everyone in the group seems to have their own side projects too. I'm pretty sure Clown has started his own movie studio. Corey's got Stone Sour. Jim quit Stone Sour a few years back, but he does a lot of teaching. It's a bit comical that Fehn got into that whole argument. How did he not notice everyone around him was using their Slipknot fame to popularize their own side projects? Can you really be that oblivious?

As far as seeing them live, I hope they live up to themselves for you. I've enjoyed every show I've seen them do. Corey's a natural showman, and they do a lot of pyrotechnics. One show, they had two full drum setups on platforms on opposite sides of the stage. As they played, the platforms rose and declined, but at the apex, they turned almost sideways--all while being played! It was easily the coolest thing I've ever seen at a concert.
New album is out today and the reviews weren't exaggerating. It's freaking brilliant. Not a weak song on it.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #877 on: August 09, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
New album is out today and the reviews weren't exaggerating. It's freaking brilliant. Not a weak song on it.

I've been seeing the same. I downloaded it to my Spotify, but I haven't listened yet. Probably on the trip home from work.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #878 on: August 10, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »
Jimmy Eat World drummer called Stephan Jenkins a creepy freaking douchebag after the last day of the tour (the show I actually went to).
https://alt1053.radio.com/blogs/dallas/jimmy-eat-world-drummer-calls-third-eye-blinds-stephan-jenkins-fing-creepy-d-bag

Jimmy was great. I had only seen them once. They put on a great show, don't talk a lot, provide a lot of energy, and all of their songs rock. Even their newer songs, which I can't really say about 3EB.

I've actually seen Third Eye Blind 2-3 times this year because they've played at a couple festivals I've gone to. Their first album was one of my favorite albums growing up, and it still holds up very well. But Jenkins is so freaking annoying on stage. I try not to let that get in the way of my love of that album, but he just seems like such a diva. This article from two years ago didn't help. https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/6/16042244/third-eye-blind-20th-anniversary-semi-charmed-life-xeb-1f6cb7524abc

Third Eye Blind's self-titled album is one of my favorites all-time, but I was never a fan of much else...which is disappointing.

When I was a kid, I rented Can't Hardly Wait from Blockbuster and it changed music for me.  That movie led me to Blink 182, 3EB, Eve 6, and Sublime.  Nostalgia.

---

Austin has a great music scene. 

We had tickets to see Julien Baker at ACL Live but she cancelled all shows because of an illness.

Matt Maeson is probably the best artist we've seen here.  I think The Menzingers and Tigers Jaw is the next show we're going to unless something else pops up.   

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #879 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
New Tool album, "Fear Inoculum".

On first couple of listens, I have to say Invincible is one of the best Tool songs I've ever heard.
Like 10,000 Days, this album could take a few listens to "marinate" in my brain haha. Musically and technically this band is on their own planet.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #880 on: August 30, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »
New Tool album, "Fear Inoculum".

On first couple of listens, I have to say Invincible is one of the best Tool songs I've ever heard.
Like 10,000 Days, this album could take a few listens to "marinate" in my brain haha. Musically and technically this band is on their own planet.

Got it lined up for the gym this afternoon. They also just announced their NA tour dates.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #881 on: September 03, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »
I've never seen them before, got tickets for the show on the 20th in Toronto. I have a feeling this might be one of the last opportunities to see this lineup, Corey is dropping hints about moving on from Slipknot for good and with Joey gone, Paul dead and Fehn kicked out over money, I'm not sure if Clown, Jim and Mick will want to keep doing it as well.

So, how was it?

I don't think they're slowing down any time soon. Social media lit up like a Christmas tree because the acoustics were so bad at the show I went to and still the crowd was berzerk. As long as people keep packing arenas and losing their minds like that, Knot's not going anywhere.

Corey could get me to run through a wall.

Sid's new mask with the whole hooded thing and his weird puppet dances were creepy as hell. Clown's new mask is my favorite new design.

I'm actually debating driving up to Massachusetts in December. That's the closest they're going to be to me again until at least after their Euro leg of the tour.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #882 on: September 03, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
So, how was it?

I don't think they're slowing down any time soon. Social media lit up like a Christmas tree because the acoustics were so bad at the show I went to and still the crowd was berzerk. As long as people keep packing arenas and losing their minds like that, Knot's not going anywhere.

Corey could get me to run through a wall.

Sid's new mask with the whole hooded thing and his weird puppet dances were creepy as hell. Clown's new mask is my favorite new design.

I'm actually debating driving up to Massachusetts in December. That's the closest they're going to be to me again until at least after their Euro leg of the tour.

It was brilliant. Sound was great at my venue (although it was terrible for Gojira which was a shame as I love their music).

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #883 on: September 03, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »
I've been on a massive Beatles/classic rock kick lately, since I just went on a camping trip and I'm always in charge of the setlist.

I gotta listen to this new Tool album. I haven't listened to them a lot lately because I listen to almost all of my music on Spotify at this point, and they weren't on there until recently. Pumped they're playing Staples Center, too, because that's like a 15-minute walk. I saw them a few years ago in Boston but I was really far away. They sounded great though.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #884 on: October 08, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »
For anyone who ever liked Marilyn Manson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxgOFdJYjXo