Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 191172 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #855 on: August 05, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
Solway Firth by Slipknot. It's the best thing they've made in years.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
Solway Firth by Slipknot. It's the best thing they've made in years.

Album hits Friday. They wanted to get back to their roots. Personally, I've liked all of their music, but I'm definitely curious to see how hard they go on this new album.

They cut 12 songs from the album. When Clown said he had a lot of music written before they started working on this record, he wasn't bullshitting.

I'm seeing them at Jones Beach later this month. I love Slipknot shows.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #857 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
Album hits Friday. They wanted to get back to their roots. Personally, I've liked all of their music, but I'm definitely curious to see how hard they go on this new album.

They cut 12 songs from the album. When Clown said he had a lot of music written before they started working on this record, he wasn't bullshitting.

I'm seeing them at Jones Beach later this month. I love Slipknot shows.

I've never seen them before, got tickets for the show on the 20th in Toronto. I have a feeling this might be one of the last opportunities to see this lineup, Corey is dropping hints about moving on from Slipknot for good and with Joey gone, Paul dead and Fehn kicked out over money, I'm not sure if Clown, Jim and Mick will want to keep doing it as well.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #858 on: August 06, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
I've never seen them before, got tickets for the show on the 20th in Toronto. I have a feeling this might be one of the last opportunities to see this lineup, Corey is dropping hints about moving on from Slipknot for good and with Joey gone, Paul dead and Fehn kicked out over money, I'm not sure if Clown, Jim and Mick will want to keep doing it as well.

You know, I never thought of it like that, but you might be right. Corey is a bit weird. He clearly loves Stone Sour (and honestly, I prefer Stone Sour to Slipknot) so maybe that's going to be his focus? He has a lot more control over Stone Sour than Slipknot--it has long appeared to me that Crahan views Knot as his band. Also, I remember Corey being really unsure if he even wanted to go back to Knot after Gray died.

Everyone in the group seems to have their own side projects too. I'm pretty sure Clown has started his own movie studio. Corey's got Stone Sour. Jim quit Stone Sour a few years back, but he does a lot of teaching. It's a bit comical that Fehn got into that whole argument. How did he not notice everyone around him was using their Slipknot fame to popularize their own side projects? Can you really be that oblivious?

As far as seeing them live, I hope they live up to themselves for you. I've enjoyed every show I've seen them do. Corey's a natural showman, and they do a lot of pyrotechnics. One show, they had two full drum setups on platforms on opposite sides of the stage. As they played, the platforms rose and declined, but at the apex, they turned almost sideways--all while being played! It was easily the coolest thing I've ever seen at a concert.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #859 on: August 06, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
You know, I never thought of it like that, but you might be right. Corey is a bit weird. He clearly loves Stone Sour (and honestly, I prefer Stone Sour to Slipknot) so maybe that's going to be his focus? He has a lot more control over Stone Sour than Slipknot--it has long appeared to me that Crahan views Knot as his band. Also, I remember Corey being really unsure if he even wanted to go back to Knot after Gray died.

Everyone in the group seems to have their own side projects too. I'm pretty sure Clown has started his own movie studio. Corey's got Stone Sour. Jim quit Stone Sour a few years back, but he does a lot of teaching. It's a bit comical that Fehn got into that whole argument. How did he not notice everyone around him was using their Slipknot fame to popularize their own side projects? Can you really be that oblivious?

As far as seeing them live, I hope they live up to themselves for you. I've enjoyed every show I've seen them do. Corey's a natural showman, and they do a lot of pyrotechnics. One show, they had two full drum setups on platforms on opposite sides of the stage. As they played, the platforms rose and declined, but at the apex, they turned almost sideways--all while being played! It was easily the coolest thing I've ever seen at a concert.

Apparently We Are Not Your Kind has leaked, and the reviews are overwhelmingly good. Lots of discussion on /r/slipknot if you're interested.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
Tool is finally available on Spotify so, all of that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #861 on: August 07, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
Tool is finally available on Spotify so, all of that.

New song is out today as well.

https://www.spin.com/2019/08/tool-new-song-fear-inoculum-listen-stream/

Will listen later but there are already people raving about it on my FB feed.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #862 on: August 07, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »
Downloaded it already. Will probably listen to it shortly.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #863 on: August 07, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
Downloaded it already. Will probably listen to it shortly.

It's very Tool. Proggy and clever and nerdy but never really lets rip.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #864 on: August 07, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
I like it but not my favorite.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #865 on: August 07, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
It's very Tool. Proggy and clever and nerdy but never really lets rip.
That’s why Opiate and Undertow are by far their best two albums.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #866 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
That’s why Opiate and Undertow are by far their best two albums.

I love Aenima, but it's something you have to be in the mood for.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #867 on: August 07, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
I love Aenima, but it's something you have to be in the mood for.
Aenima is a good album but their first two are insane. No nerd stuff. No prog stuff. Just intensity.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #868 on: August 08, 2019, 06:43:33 PM »
Aenema is amazing, but you need to skip a few tracks.

I've been to so many random concerts lately in the last 2-3 weeks.
- Third Eye Blind/Jimmy Eat World
- Zac Brown Band
- Streetlight Manifesto
- Beck/Cage the Elephant
- Queen/Adam Lambert

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #869 on: August 08, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Third Eye Blind/Jimmy Eat World

We almost went to this, but it was in a shitty outdoor amphitheater in Houston and it was 100+ degrees out. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away