Author Topic: ESPN shill Rex Ryan  (Read 145010 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: ESPN shill Rex Ryan
« Reply #1470 on: April 10, 2020, 11:18:04 PM »
Thank you.  This will be my response anytime someone tries to tell me rex shouldnt have gotten fired.

I'm looking at you seafood

Hindsight is 20/20, you play football you might get hurt. People now pretending 2013 could have been so great with Sanchez are a lot of the same ones defending the Revis trade when we had him signed for the season at $6 million. So were we trying to win or looking at the next off season? Can't be both.

And let's not pretend Sanchez was Peyton Manning. There was a QB competition that summer after Sanchez had a terrible season. Rex sent him out there to win the job and the game against a bunch of scrubs and move on to the season. Again, he never became a starter anywhere again. It's not like he had a Pennington injury and couldn't play, he just wasn't that good.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:20:16 PM by Italian Seafood »
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1471 on: April 10, 2020, 11:39:51 PM »
Mark Sanchez was thoroughly broken before the Giants game.  Still a horrible coaching decision. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1472 on: April 10, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »
An excuse for everything.......ugh
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1473 on: April 10, 2020, 11:57:28 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20, you play football you might get hurt.

He was told that he wasn't going to play in the game and your favorite coach got upset about losing a preseason game...and changed his mind.

It's an awful coaching decision.  One of the worst in franchise history.  It cost them both their careers. 

You do not play your starter in that situation, ever.  There is no defense for it.

Willie Colon said they knew Mark Sanchez was their starter.  Your entire argument about their being a competition is just part of this giant lie you keep telling yourself. 

You're seriously going to excrement on Mark Sanchez for not being good anywhere else but you still defend Rex Ryan...who barely has a job at ESPN right now because ...he wasn't good anywhere else. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:59:59 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1474 on: April 11, 2020, 12:11:25 AM »
Hindsight is 20/20, you play football you might get hurt. People now pretending 2013 could have been so great with Sanchez are a lot of the same ones defending the Revis trade when we had him signed for the season at $6 million. So were we trying to win or looking at the next off season? Can't be both.

And let's not pretend Sanchez was Peyton Manning. There was a QB competition that summer after Sanchez had a terrible season. Rex sent him out there to win the job and the game against a bunch of scrubs and move on to the season. Again, he never became a starter anywhere again. It's not like he had a Pennington injury and couldn't play, he just wasn't that good.
Sanchez being good or bad has nothing to do with Rex having no self control to realize winning a preseason game is meaningless

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1475 on: April 11, 2020, 10:42:41 AM »
Yeah, a coach trying to win a game and instill confidence back in his young QB is a terrible thing. So we were trying to win in 2013, which I agree with, but we traded our best player and that was a good move. Sounds reasonable.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1476 on: April 11, 2020, 10:53:27 AM »
Yeah, a coach trying to win a game

Wins do not matter in the preseason

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1477 on: April 11, 2020, 11:06:37 AM »
Wins do not matter in the preseason

I understand that, you're a coach, correct? Do you not use whatever situation you have to better your team and your players? A situation arose where he had a chance to give Sanchez what should be an easy assignment and be done with Idzik's sham QB competition. Your franchise QB who dressed for the game is more worried about what club he's going to and that's the coach's fault? In hindsight it was a terrible move but I've seen a million veteran QBs play late in pre season games against backups for various reasons. Brady always played the 4th pre season game which almost nobody does.

You guys have been defending the Revis trade for seven years now by telling me 2013 didn't matter, but now if we had Mark Sanchez we were a contender? The argument until now was we had to get something for Revis (we got nothing) at the expense of the 2013 season because we couldn't pay him (we ended up paying him anyway). So we needed Sanchez to have a chance but not Revis?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1478 on: April 11, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »
I understand that, you're a coach, correct? Do you not use whatever situation you have to better your team and your players?

If we had a live contact scrimmage (which is essentially what preseason football is), then no, I would not put any of my starters in unfavorable situations. 

When it comes to actual, meaningful football, I'll give you an example that was probably the best lesson I ever learned coaching:

In 2014, we had one of the strongest teams in the upper state of South Carolina.  We had six Division One players on our defense and we were virtually unbeatable on that side of the ball:  state leader in interceptions, state leader in sacks, etc. 

Our last game of the regular season, we were up 45-0 in the fourth quarter against a two win team.  In SC, you used to have an eight quarter rule, so JV players could play up on Fridays for extra depth.  We had our JV kids playing by the second quarter...

My boss got pissed at a 14 year old JV running back for fumbling the ball (which led to a scoop and score) and put our backup tailback (and starting OLB) at RB for one play.  We ran a simple inside zone play and he picked up a first down, but at the end of the play, a defender fell into his knee and that was that.  He was pissed because we lost the shutout in a game that was over before it started. 

We lost in the upper state championship (the state semi-final) by two touchdowns to a team we would've beat without that knucklehead's decision. 

It's not being competitive.  It's not motivational.  It's careless.  Rex Ryan was emotional all the time and it always got the best of him.  Putting Mark Sanchez in with third stringers and training camp bodies was an awful decision.  There is no argument. 

That is a haunting coaching decision for me.  That injury altered his life forever.  His recruitment fell off, he ended up at a JUCO in Kansas where he rode the bench, came back home and now I check that local paper every Sunday to see if he's been shot or arrested. 

It's very fair to say that Rex Ryan getting Mark Sanchez hurt ruined both of their careers, because it did. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:25:36 PM by Heismanberg »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1479 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »
If we had a live contact scrimmage (which is essentially what preseason football is), then no, I would not put any of my starters in unfavorable situations. 

When it comes to actual, meaningful football, I'll give you an example that was probably the best lesson I ever learned coaching:

In 2014, we had one of the strongest teams in the upper state of South Carolina.  We had six Division One players on our defense and we were virtually unbeatable on that side of the ball:  state leader in interceptions, state leader in sacks, etc. 

Our last game of the regular season, we were up 45-0 in the fourth quarter against a two win team.  In SC, you used to have an eight quarter rule, so JV players could play up on Fridays for extra depth.  We had our JV kids playing by the second quarter...

My boss got pissed at a 14 year old JV running back for fumbling the ball (which led to a scoop and score) and put our backup tailback (and starting OLB) at RB for one play.  We ran a simple inside zone play and he picked up a first down, but at the end of the play, a defender fell into his knee and that was that.  He was pissed because we lost the shutout in a game that was over before it started. 

We lost in the upper state championship (the state semi-final) by two touchdowns to a team we would've beat without that knucklehead's decision. 

It's not being competitive.  It's not motivational.  It's careless.  Rex Ryan was emotional all the time and it always got the best of him.  Putting Mark Sanchez in with third stringers and training camp bodies was an awful decision.  There is no argument. 

That is a haunting coaching decision for me.  That injury altered his life forever.  His recruitment fell off, he ended up at a JUCO in Kansas where he rode the bench, came back home and now I check that local paper every Sunday to see if he's been shot or arrested. 

It's very fair to say that Rex Ryan getting Mark Sanchez hurt ruined both of their careers, because it did. 

Damn good story
Need a new one for a new board...

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1480 on: April 11, 2020, 03:05:37 PM »

I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying it was a good decision, we all know it turned out terrible. But I do think it was more about ending the QB competition than winning the pre season game. Over time it's morphed into "crazy, emotional Rex wanted to win the Snoopy Bowl and got his QB hurt", but I don't think it was about that. It's easy for people here to get caught up in hindsight and hatred of Rex. To properly understand what was going on you have to look at the circumstances of the moment, what was known and what wasn't. Here's what we knew:

-Sanchez struggled badly at the end of 2012 and was benched for Greg McElroy
-Idzik took over as GM, drafted Geno in the 2nd round, and wanted an open competition for QB
-Geno started that game, the 3rd pre season game, typically the dress rehearsal for the season. He did terrible, threw 3 picks and stepped out of the end zone for an unintentional safety
-Sanchez had been very durable in 4 seasons as starter, missed one game due to a minor injury which was a coach's decision

When there was an opportunity at the end to go down the field against the backups and win the game, Rex wanted Sanchez to do it, put the QB issue to bed, skip the last pre season game and move on. Getting injured on one drive after not getting injured in four years obviously was not in the thought process. It was also a mistake to tell Sanchez he wasn't playing and then putting him in, but it's on Sanchez to not be mentally in on every rep considering he was supposed to step up, be a team leader, win his job back and be a franchise QB.

To say it cost us the season, we'd have to look at the 8 games we lost and figure out which ones might have been won with Sanchez at QB, assuming he also pulls out the Tampa Bay, Atlanta and New England games that Geno did manage to win at the end. It's a gigantic hypothetical. What is more certain is that our defense would have been tremendously better with Revis at CB instead of Milliner, or whoever we had playing for an injured/benched Milliner, especially with Rex as the coach.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1481 on: April 11, 2020, 04:59:40 PM »
Rex is a bum
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #1482 on: April 11, 2020, 05:49:46 PM »
I’m ususlly with IS on most stuff because I’m sick of all the losing and bullshit too but there’s no way Sanchez should have been put in there. Someone already made the point that Sanchez’s psyche was already fucked but what other coach, EVER, has ever resorted to putting in their starting QB in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game?

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1483 on: April 11, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
I’m ususlly with IS on most stuff because I’m sick of all the losing and bullshit too but there’s no way Sanchez should have been put in there. Someone already made the point that Sanchez’s psyche was already fucked but what other coach, EVER, has ever resorted to putting in their starting QB in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game?

With an OL that’s about to be on the street in 15 days?
Need a new one for a new board...

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1484 on: April 11, 2020, 08:30:38 PM »
what other coach, EVER, has ever resorted to putting in their starting QB in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game?

Todd Bowles had Josh McCown start the 4th preseason game in 2017.  Josh got jacked up, Hackenberg came on for one play and then Josh went back in.

SCREAMING. at the TV.