Author Topic: Crap Movies  (Read 141429 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Crap Movies
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
I take that back.  I saw Bamboozled several times.  Again, though, while it was an important and relevant movie at the time, it would feel horribly dated today.  The melodrama would kill it as well.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
I liked Inside Man. I thought Do the Right Thing was a ham-handed lecture about race.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
probably the best performance of Denzel Washington's career.

I prefer him in Training Day and Glory
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
I liked Inside Man. I thought Do the Right Thing was a ham-handed lecture about race.

Like I said, dated.  His movies are all about the moment they're made in.  He doesn't make things that are timeless.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
I remember liking most of his movies of his at the time I saw them, but I don't think I've ever watched one of his movies twice.  Maybe Malcolm X, but it still would have been ages ago.  I don't think his movies age well. They have a definite time and place tied up in them.  For example, Get on the Bus would seem tired, trite, and shitty today, but I remember thinking it was decent when I saw it.  Ditto for Clockers, which is a 90s movie if I've ever seen one.  Come to think of it, that may be his problem.  He's still making movies like this is the 90s.  It's not, and those movies no longer gain traction.  I remember thinking that when I saw Kings of Summer and Mud.  They're 90s movies.  I can't imagine either one catching on with wider audiences today.  Spike branched out with Inside Man, which I thought was good, and then had this abortion of a movie.

I think this is the crux of any disagreement. Spike Lee's movies were timely, I just think that those windows of time have largely passed them by. His movies were pretty good but watching them now would give me a headache.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:57:41 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »
I prefer him in Training Day and Glory

I think Glory is his best work by far. Training Day was a little too over the top for me.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
I think this is the crux of any disagreement. Spike Lee's movies were timely, I just think that those windows of time have largely passed them by. His movies were pretty good but watching them now would give me a headache.

Yeah, when I say I don't think I've ever watched any of his movies twice (aside from Bamboozled and perhaps Malcolm X), I've never wanted to.  I have zero desire to sit down and watch old Spike Lee movies today.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
I thought Do The Right Thing was a great movie...but you nailed it that his movies were good largely based on their context in time.

With that said, Spike Lee is a giant queynte. If he wasn't a Knicks fan i'd hate him even more than I do.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
If he wasn't a Knicks fan i'd hate him even more than I do.

I hate him even more because he's a Knicks fan.

"THIS IS AFRICA'S TEAM!"
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

"THIS IS AFRICA'S TEAM!"

I almost got into a fight in my one and only visit to watch a basketball game. Apparently, the natives didn't take kindly to me screaming 'Where's Spike Lee" in the corridors of MSG. I thought it was funny.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
Can people stop pretending that "Do the Right Thing" is a great movie? It's a gigantic pile of excrement.

I hate Spike Lee with a passion, but Do The Right Thing was and still is a great movie. 

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »

"THIS IS AFRICA'S TEAM!"

I loled

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
I hate Spike Lee with a passion, but Do The Right Thing was and still is a great movie. 

I am in the same camp.  Other than DTRT I hated all his movies when they came out, and still do.  I can still watch DTRT if it's on, though I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
Mo' Better Blues was fantastic, but I love Branford Marsalis so I may be slightly biased. That film has, IMO, the greatest soundtrack of any movie ever. Even if you don't like the movie you should own the soundtrack album.

I don't understand how you don't like Malcolm X. I know people have issue with Spike Lee's aggressive approach to his politics but it was still a fantastic piece of filmmaking and probably the best performance of Denzel Washington's career.

For the record I loved Malcolm X.
"Wrong!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »

Maybe it's because I watched it for the first time in the late-90s, but that whole exchange between Spike and one of the white pizza guys was so over-the-top bad. "Your favorite player is Michael Jordan, and favorite musician is Michael Jackson, so do you see how blah blah blah"
"Wrong!"

Tags: movies