Author Topic: Jets Draft Position  (Read 43504 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets Draft Position
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
In your first scenario you're talking about multiple guys playing new positions.

Would you want to develop a young QB behind a rookie LT, a guy newly moved to right tackle, and a tackle freshly moved to guard?

With the contract structures of our OL, I don't see why you don't grab a guy in the second (where you can still get great prospects) and take your time developing him (being that Giacomini and D'Brickashaw are locked up). Best case scenario he's a future left tackle, worst and he's either a right tackle or depth.

It's certainly possible we draft a left tackle early, I just don't think it's the most likely scenario

If we take an OL top 5 we aren't playing a rookie QB next year, we might be developing a later round pick, but certainly not another start a rookie QB situation. So in this scenario we would sign a vet to just hold the fort for a year or two, thus allowing our OL to gel and learn their new positions. Secondly we haven't drafted a second round player in 10 years that's been worth a god damn aside from David Harris, do you really expect us to draft a useful second round OL? I don't.

My point is, if the guys you really want are gone, then looking to build up your offensive line is the next best option assuming a trade down doesn't happen. I mean when's the last time we traded down in the first round? Have we done it 10 years? 15?
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
If we take an OL top 5 we aren't playing a rookie QB next year, we might be developing a later round pick, but certainly not another start a rookie QB situation. So in this scenario we would sign a vet to just hold the fort for a year or two, thus allowing our OL to gel and learn their new positions. Secondly we haven't drafted a second round player in 10 years that's been worth a god damn aside from David Harris, do you really expect us to draft a useful second round OL? I don't.

My point is, if the guys you really want are gone, then looking to build up your offensive line is the next best option assuming a trade down doesn't happen. I mean when's the last time we traded down in the first round? Have we done it 10 years? 15?
I'll point out that we traded about half our second round picks over that time frame, and Amaro doesn't seem like a bad one by any means.

And it also doesn't really matter what kind of garbage we drafted, considering that we've overhauled our scouting/GM position quite a bit, with another on the horizon.

Hell Hill and Vlad were both purely projects too, guys who had freakish athletic gifts despite wildly lacking in talent.

Not to mention this second round pick will be a very early one, versus a mid to late round 2nd

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Jerry Jones lucked his way into a top  QB and elite wide receiver as well.

We could draft the best offensive linemen in the league every year, but we still won't have a top 10 QB and top 5 wr like Dallas does

Tony Romo is playing with a wire coat hanger keeping his spine together.  He's done really well this year, but the tread on his tires is wearing down at a faster rate.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
Tony Romo is playing with a wire coat hanger keeping his spine together.  He's done really well this year, but the tread on his tires is wearing down at a faster rate.

Hes 34 and still playing at a high level

He might not last till 40, but i dont see why he wont last till 37ish which seems appropriate for a QB

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
Hes 34 and still playing at a high level

He might not last till 40, but i dont see why he wont last till 37ish which seems appropriate for a QB

His back is fucked.  It would take an act of god or some fancy moves on the operating table for him to last another 3 seasons.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
The Jets taking a tackle immediately makes the line better and gives us a future at the position. If the best value is there, then it should be the pick.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
His back is fucked.  It would take an act of god or some fancy moves on the operating table for him to last another 3 seasons.

If he gets through next season unscathed I'd be surprised
Need a new one for a new board...

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »
If we take an OL in the top 5 that tells me that this team is entering a long-term rebuild since that pick will see little to no playing time at the LT position. Giacomini and Brick will be the tackles for at least the next two years barring injury.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
If he gets through next season unscathed I'd be surprised

the guy is getting injections into his back before every game. 

The Jets taking a tackle immediately makes the line better and gives us a future at the position. If the best value is there, then it should be the pick.

I'm all for rebuilding the oline. If we land a decent stopgap QB in FA or via trade, i'd advocate even harder for an OL pick in the 1st round.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

If we take an OL in the top 5 that tells me that this team is entering a long-term rebuild since that pick will see little to no playing time at the LT position. Giacomini and Brick will be the tackles for at least the next two years barring injury.

That's remarkably optimistic.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
That's remarkably optimistic.
Why is that?

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

Why is that?

Because we could easily take someone who could outplay either. Both guys are replaceable now, so I see no reason why a year from now a second year top pick couldn't be a better option.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »
What about an act of fancy?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

Because we could easily take someone who could outplay either. Both guys are replaceable now, so I see no reason why a year from now a second year top pick couldn't be a better option.

Because of their contracts (D'Brickashaw just reworked his contract like a year ago, and I believe it would be more expensive for us to cut him than keep him next year)

Unless we're gonna pay them to ride the bench

Neither guy is too old, D'Brickashaw just turned 31 I think, and Breno is 29

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Romos back injury (this year)  is identical to Cam Newton's and from what I can gather it's not a big deal (apparently it's a rather rare injury). Also completely unrelated to his other back injury

Romos prior back injury was a herniated disc, which I'm sure a freak ton of football players have had and managed to deal with.

If anything I'd think the injuries/surgeries Peyton Manning had were far more serious than Romos.

Although Romo gets hurt far more often, the injuries don't seem connected (lots of broken ribs, fingers etc)

Tags: jets