Author Topic: Jets Draft Position  (Read 43916 times)

Cane

• Chad Pennington
Re: Jets Draft Position
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »

Like you, I prefer Winston as a prospect over Mariota but I don't understand how you can say for certain that Mariota can't read an NFL defense when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet. For me, it's more useful to look at whether or not a college quarterback can consistently progress through his reads (which is what impresses me so much about Winston).

Progress through reads... Which Winston.... doesn't do.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
I'm not saying that he cannot adjust, I'm just saying it will take time.

And if a team puts him out there before that adjustment is underway, he's screwed and it may not ever click.

While in a perfect world, Mariota would be allowed to sit for a season before seeing game action but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

A top-5 pick is what it takes to acquire a quarterback with Mariota's sheer athletic upside and he'll have to either sink or swim with whichever team drafts him.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
A top-5 pick is what it takes to acquire a quarterback with Mariota's sheer athletic upside and he'll have to either sink or swim with whichever team drafts him.

Why did Colin Kaepernick go in the second round then? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Progress through reads... Which Winston.... doesn't do.

He's been doing it since the first time he stepped foot on a college football field.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Why did Colin Kaepernick go in the second round then? 

He played in the Mountain West and didn't put up nearly the numbers that Mariota has in the Pac-12.

For the record, I think they're extremely similar prospects and, while Kaepernick was severely underdrafted, Mariota is far more likely to be overdrafted.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:01:05 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »
He played in the Mountain West and didn't put up nearly the numbers that Mariota has in the Pac-12.

Kaepernick is the only QB in NCAA history to throw for 10,000+ yards and rush for 4,000+ yards in a career. 

For the record, I think they're extremely similar prospects and, while Kaepernick was severely underdrafted, Mariota is far more likely to be overdrafted.

They are very similar prospects, but Kaepernick has a much stronger arm.

And why would you want to trade up for a player that you think will be overdrafted? 

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »
Kaepernick is the only QB in NCAA history to throw for 10,000+ yards and rush for 4,000+ yards in a career. 

He did that in one more season while Mariota was able to throw for 10k and run for 2k in three.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
He did that in one more season while Mariota was able to throw for 10k and run for 2k in three.

That doesn't change the fact that Colin Kaepernick is the only QB in NCAA history to put up the kind of yardage that he did. 

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
They are very similar prospects, but Kaepernick has a much stronger arm.

Mariota has a more accurate arm.

And why would you want to trade up for a player that you think will be overdrafted? 

I never said that I want to trade up for Mariota and I said that he's more likely to be overdrafted than underdrafted.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »

Does that make Oregon the guy who spams cheap plays?

Oregon is like standard Madden.  The guy calling the plays reads the defense pre-snap and then tells the quarterback what to do.  The only difference is the OC can't directly control his movement.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
Mariota has a more accurate arm.

I disagree.

Completion percentage has very little to do with it.

I never said that I want to trade up for Mariota and I said that he's more likely to be overdrafted than underdrafted.

You mentioned earlier that if our new front office and coaching staff find "their guy" they should do whatever it takes to get him.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
Oregon is like standard Madden.  The guy calling the plays reads the defense pre-snap and then tells the quarterback what to do.  The only difference is the OC can't directly control his movement.

but he certainly tries

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that Colin Kaepernick is the only QB in NCAA history to put up the kind of yardage that he did. 

If there was a re-draft of the 2011 draft today, there's no doubt in my mind that Kaepernick would be a 1st round pick.

He flew under the radar because he was seen as a developmental prospect who put up monster statistics against inferior competition.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
He flew under the radar because he was seen as a developmental prospect who put up monster statistics against inferior competition.

Kaepernick would be a top 10 pick if that draft was re-done.  He put up huge numbers against just about everybody (PAC-10/12, ACC, WAC, MWC, BIG 12).

The offense that he played in scared teams away.  He didn't take snaps under center/didn't drop and he usually read half the field.

He was seen as a developmental prospect.  That's fair to him.  Marcus Mariota should be seen the same way.

I do not want to use a top five pick on that kind of player.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
He was seen as a developmental prospect.  That's fair to him.  Marcus Mariota should be seen the same way.

I do not want to use a top five pick on that kind of player.

I wouldn't want to use a top five pick on Mariota if we intended to play him right away.

Tags: jets