Author Topic: Jets Draft Position  (Read 43911 times)

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
Re: Jets Draft Position
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
I don't hate Marcus Mariota.  I just don't see him as top prospect.

Johnny Manziel had a stronger arm and A&M uses a lot of pro-style passing concepts in their offense under Kevin Sumlin.  That isn't happening at Oregon.

Its not happening are Oregon, but its not like Johnny was able to go through reads even if their were some pro-style concepts. And in todays NFL, who's to say whats a true pro-style offense... Chip Kelly is succeeding with the same (or a slightly adapted version due to personnel) system that Mariota played in. Jim Harbaugh ran the piston for some time due to Kaepernicks abilities (or inabilities). Kyle Shannahan adapted a system to RG3's skillset while he was a rookie, which many wouldnt consider a pro-style offense.

With the right coach, I wouldnt mind Mariota... but that again is highly dependent on the coach. With this current staff, Id have little faith in his development.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
Its not happening are Oregon, but its not like Johnny was able to go through reads even if their were some pro-style concepts. And in todays NFL, who's to say whats a true pro-style offense... Chip Kelly is succeeding with the same (or a slightly adapted version due to personnel) system that Mariota played in. Jim Harbaugh ran the piston for some time due to Kaepernicks abilities (or inabilities). Kyle Shannahan adapted a system to RG3's skillset while he was a rookie, which many wouldnt consider a pro-style offense.

With the right coach, I wouldnt mind Mariota... but that again is highly dependent on the coach. With this current staff, Id have little faith in his development.

I don't care about a pro-style offense.  I care about being able to read an NFL defense.

Chip Kelly's offense is not the same in Philly.  He cannot use the QB as a dual-threat option. 

The threat of Mariota running against CFB teams is huge - it opens up so many options.  The same can be said about Manziel.  That isn't going to happen consistently in the NFL.

Manziel was making NFL throws into windows.  Mariota doesn't do that too often. 

If Gus Malzahn/Jim Harbaugh/Mark Helfrich was the HC and he wants Mariota, then fine.  Anybody else...nah. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
Just because this team has a massive hole at QB doesn't mean we have to go out and draft a QB high. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
Johnny Manziel reads a defense by running around like a freaking goon for twenty minutes and chucking it up in the air for Mike Evans to bail him out. It's called the 13 year old playing Madden offense.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
Johnny Manziel reads a defense by running around like a freaking goon for twenty minutes and chucking it up in the air for Mike Evans to bail him out. It's called the 13 year old playing Madden offense.

Does that make Oregon the guy who spams cheap plays?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »

hahahaha!
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
the Jets are like... well, like.. if Geno Smith played madden
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
The Jets draft position lately has been doggy style.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
I don't care about a pro-style offense.  I care about being able to read an NFL defense.

Like you, I prefer Winston as a prospect over Mariota but I don't understand how you can say for certain that Mariota can't read an NFL defense when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet. For me, it's more useful to look at whether or not a college quarterback can consistently progress through his reads (which is what impresses me so much about Winston).

The threat of Mariota running against CFB teams is huge - it opens up so many options.  The same can be said about Manziel.  That isn't going to happen consistently in the NFL.

While this is certainly true, you can't say for a fact that he won't be able to consistently use his legs in the NFL when so many running quarterbacks have been finding success recently (particularly, Russell Wilson).

Manziel was making NFL throws into windows.  Mariota doesn't do that too often.

I don't know how you define "making NFL throws into windows" but the truth is that no one is going to know for sure whether or not any of these quarterbacks can throw into tight windows in the NFL until they actually play in the NFL.

If Gus Malzahn/Jim Harbaugh/Mark Helfrich was the HC and he wants Mariota, then fine.  Anybody else...nah. 

If our new front office/head coach identifies any of the quarterbacks in this draft class as "their guy" they should do whatever it takes to acquire him. I'm not going to go to the extreme of predicting a quarterback that we draft will be a bust simply because of who we decided to hire as head coach.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:46:46 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
Like you, I prefer Winston as a prospect over Mariota but I don't understand how you can say for certain that Mariota can't read an NFL defense when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet.

I didn't say that he can't.  I said that he doesn't and that will hurt him, especially coming to a team that will more than likely play him immediately.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
I didn't say that he can't.  I said that he doesn't and that will hurt him, especially coming to a team that will more than likely play him immediately.

Perhaps he doesn't because he doesn't need to at Oregon? For all we know, he's perfectly capable of doing it and he'll show that once he starts going through pre-draft evaluations.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
While this is certainly true, you can't say for a fact that he won't be able to use his legs consistently in the NFL with the success that running quarterbacks have been having recently (particularly, Russell Wilson).

Russell Wilson is not looking to run first though. 

Mariota has made some really great improvisational passes that were created with his legs, but Wilson is on another level mentally than just about any QB in the league except for Peyton Manning.  That kid just gets football. 

I don't know how one can strictly define "making NFL throws into windows"

A&M's passing scheme actually tests coverage consistently and their QBs throw to covered players.

Oregon's offense just tries to get the main read free so a big play can happen.  Mariota's reads are being made from a press box. 

If our new front office/head coach identifies any of the quarterbacks in this draft class as "their guy" they should do whatever it takes to acquire him.

Not if it requires multiple high draft picks, because the QBs in this class are not worth that much. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Perhaps he doesn't because he doesn't need to at Oregon? For all we know, he's perfectly capable of doing it and he'll show that once he starts going through pre-draft evaluations.

Of course he didn't need to do it at Oregon...

It's going to take a lot of time to get him ready to play in another system.  The only coach that could get him ready to go fairly quickly is Chip Kelly and they'd have to trade everything to come up for him.

And even if that happens, he'll probably be easily picked on early in Philly too. 

The Arizona Wildcats messed with Mariota by taking away his first read.  We've seen the same thing happen to Geno Smith in New York. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:51:05 PM by Heismanberg »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Of course need to do it at Oregon...

It's going to take a lot of time to get him ready to play in another system.  The only coach that could get him ready to go fairly quickly is Chip Kelly and they'd have to trade everything to come up for him.

And even if that happens, he'll probably be easily picked on early in Philly too. 

The Arizona Wildcats messed with Mariota by taking away his first read.  We've seen the same thing happen to Geno Smith in New York. 

I'm saying that it's premature to say that he won't be able to adjust. Obviously, things aren't going to be as easy for him in the NFL as they are in college but that goes for everyone.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
I'm saying that it's premature to say that he won't be able to adjust. Obviously, things aren't going to be as easy for him in the NFL as they are in college but that goes for everyone.

I'm not saying that he cannot adjust, I'm just saying it will take time.

And if a team puts him out there before that adjustment is underway, he's screwed and it may not ever click.

Tags: jets