Author Topic: Darwin Awards  (Read 19386 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Darwin Awards
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
It's a massive achievement, and a very exclusive one. Well, at least it used to be. I hear it's become real crowded up there, and climbers actually have to wait behind dozens of other climbers to get to the summit. It's also an awesome thing to be able to tell others that you did.

You said it.  It's no longer the same achievement it was.  Now the big one is pushing a cart to the top and asking the other climbers about their days.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
You said it.  It's no longer the same achievement it was.  Now the big one is pushing a cart to the top and asking the other climbers about their days.

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
I didn't get the joke then, and I don't get it now.
"Wrong!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »

Salmonella has dulled your senses.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »

What does it meeeeeean?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
It's a massive achievement, and a very exclusive one. Well, at least it used to be. I hear it's become real crowded up there, and climbers actually have to wait behind dozens of other climbers to get to the summit. It's also an awesome thing to be able to tell others that you did.

See, I wouldn't think that was impressive.

Someone who heads to Haiti post-earthquake to provide assistance rebuilding? Impressive. Guy that climbs big rocks, risks hypothermia, and brags about it? Not so much.

I can see it being less of an achievement today as opposed to, say, half-a-century ago because I'd assume the equipment is a lot better.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
See, I wouldn't think that was impressive.

Someone who heads to Haiti post-earthquake to provide assistance rebuilding? Impressive. Guy that climbs big rocks, risks hypothermia, and brags about it? Not so much.

I can see it being less of an achievement today as opposed to, say, half-a-century ago because I'd assume the equipment is a lot better.

Climbing Everest is still one of the greatest feats in the world to me. I don't give a freak if you have a lot of money or get lucky and can do the trip, it's still something 99.999999999% of the world would never do. Also just because you get there doesn't mean you will get near the summit. Lots and lots of expeditions stop short of climbing the entire mountain. Actually, I always admired the Sherpa's, they're one tough group of people.

To be clear it's not something I would have the desire to do, even if I had the means to do it. Climbing the mountain holds no interest to me but that doesn't mean I can't admire the people that actually accomplish that.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
Climbing Everest is still one of the greatest feats in the world to me. I don't give a freak if you have a lot of money or get lucky and can do the trip, it's still something 99.999999999% of the world would never do. Also just because you get there doesn't mean you will get near the summit. Lots and lots of expeditions stop short of climbing the entire mountain. Actually, I always admired the Sherpa's, they're one tough group of people.

To be clear it's not something I would have the desire to do, even if I had the means to do it. Climbing the mountain holds no interest to me but that doesn't mean I can't admire the people that actually accomplish that.

That's why I don't get doing it. I wouldn't do it if I had billions in spending cash burning a hole in my pocket. So it holds no impressiveness to me.

I'm a to-each-his-own person. If it makes you happy, go for it. But it doesn't mean I think it's any smarter than jumping from a plane, which I don't get either.

Anyway, the dumbest part of the whole story is that the chick was a vegan.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »
That's why I don't get doing it. I wouldn't do it if I had billions in spending cash burning a hole in my pocket. So it holds no impressiveness to me.

I'm a to-each-his-own person. If it makes you happy, go for it. But it doesn't mean I think it's any smarter than jumping from a plane, which I don't get either.

I went skydiving before. It's definitely worth it. But you don't do anything, just fall and let the guy behind you with his chute do all the work. Climbing Mt Everest is a physical, emotional, and all around massive achievement. It also takes months. You can't just wing it.
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
I went skydiving before. It's definitely worth it. But you don't do anything, just fall and let the guy behind you with his chute do all the work. Climbing Mt Everest is a physical, emotional, and all around massive achievement. It also takes months. You can't just wing it.

Tommy is used to the guy behind him doing all the work.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 03:14:56 PM »

Tommy is used to the guy behind him doing all the work.

This actually goes really well with his cryptic Rec Sports post.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »

Climbing Everest is just like any other significant physical achievement like doing an Ironman or winning a bodybuilding contest, all be it on a different scale of both difficulty and risk. It requires focus, discipline, commitment and immense amounts of training. If you've never done something like that, and there's no reason why you should if it's not something that interests you, then you won't get it, but that doesn't make it dumb. Someone for whom climbing Everest is a serious ambition could quite reasonably question the point of fighting digital dragons on a computer or sitting for hours with a bunch of people pretending to be elves and wizards through the medium of rolling dice.

I'm with Puck, I think that Everest is an incredible achievement. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to do it myself - my willingness to challenge myself physically probably doesn't go that far - but I respect the hell out of them for doing it. And there's no reason why being vegan should make any difference to their ability to achieve that aim.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
I couldn't give two shits if someone climbs a mountain, jumps from a plane, or eats tofu. I'm just being a dick.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
I've never understood the appeal of climbing a mountain like that. Just to say you got there and survived? Okay.

I don't understand being a vegan either. I love veggies but I'd never give up eating a good steak.

Because there are people who are really into hiking and climbing and it's not something everyone can experience. It's an incredible representation of nature.

I wouldn't do it, but it's easy to see why people would.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »
Because there are people who are really into hiking and climbing and it's not something everyone can experience. It's an incredible representation of nature.

I wouldn't do it, but it's easy to see why people would.

It's also the pinnacle achievement for mountain climbers. It's not like someone wakes up one day saying they want to climb mount everest. The vast majority of them have climbed mountains before. It's popular because it's the tallest mountain, but it isn't even the toughest to climb. K2 has a higher death rate.
"Wrong!"

Tags: