Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 183392 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #915 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »
According to that article (and what I've heard elsewhere) pay-per-ride vehicles will have to pay the full fee (though only once per day).

I certainly believe someone on the NY government side did their homework, because they'll make a lot of money on this, but again, I just don't understand what Uber thinks it will gain. Their drivers are the traffic.

Congestion charge is a daily fee, so unlike a toll where you pay each time you use the crossing you pay a flat fee regardless of whether you spend five minutes in Manhattan dropping off or you turn up at 5am and spend the next 18 hours driving around. I guess what it will also do therefore is encourage drivers to do more rides, because obviously the more rides they do the lower the impact of the charge on their per ride take.

Not being privy to any real data I can only take your word for it, but I would suggest that without real evidence that there is a sizeable amount of personal traffic that for whatever reason you aren't seeing, this wouldn't make sense for anyone.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #916 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
Congestion charge is a daily fee, so unlike a toll where you pay each time you use the crossing you pay a flat fee regardless of whether you spend five minutes in Manhattan dropping off or you turn up at 5am and spend the next 18 hours driving around. I guess what it will also do therefore is encourage drivers to do more rides, because obviously the more rides they do the lower the impact of the charge on their per ride take.

Not being privy to any real data I can only take your word for it, but I would suggest that without real evidence that there is a sizeable amount of personal traffic that for whatever reason you aren't seeing, this wouldn't make sense for anyone.

That's a good point. It would certainly encourage more pickups.

And you're right, there is probably more traffic than my anecdotal evidence disproves. But no matter who the traffic is coming from, commuters or TLC, NYC stands to make a lot of money.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #917 on: February 27, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Oh, I don't know. Maybe one of the AWS jobs they would've created? Maybe an executive job?

Let's do a little math. Part of the agreement was that Amazon would bring an average salary of $150k to HQ2. While that's not the $4B often mentioned, it is $3,750,000,000.

Let's be completely ridiculous and assume all but 100 employees at HQ2 would make minimum wage. So, 24,900 people would make $15/hour, or $31,200 per year. That's a total $776,880,000 per year, leaving $2,973,120,000 for those 100 execs, so each would gross $29,731,200 per year.

According to Glassdoor, the average Amazon executive makes $128,759 per year. If we spitball a number, say, 1000 people would be executives in HQ2, that's a total of $128,759,000 per year in executive salaries. To then achieve a mean average of $150k, the other 24,000 employees would have to average $150,885.04 each.

Even if 1000 executives averaged $1M per year, that would leave $2.75B to be split among the 24,000 other staff, for an average salary of $114,583.33. Not bad for collecting pee bottles.

This wasn't going to be an Amazon warehouse. I understand the argument against Amazon in terms of abusing manual labor. This was office jobs, including accountants, management, and programmers, the latter two of which I'd be qualified for. So yeah, I'm going to miss some of those jobs.
But why

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #918 on: February 28, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »
[quote author=AlioTheFool .
That's certainly a philosophical discussion we could have, and you and I would probably find a lot of common ground there. But that's not really the argument here.
[/quote]
But that is my argument.  NY doesnt need to be funding these companies with tax incentives in the billions of dollars. 
Amazon already has offices in NY.  If they need more people in ny to be competitive they will move people here without incentive.  Amazon can afford the difference of $3billion.

Give that incentive to companies who could benefit from it and who would benefit the city. 
Continue to invest in universities like Cornell Tech that will conti us to bring more tech companies to nyc

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #919 on: February 28, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
[quote author=AlioTheFool .
That's certainly a philosophical discussion we could have, and you and I would probably find a lot of common ground there. But that's not really the argument here.

But that is my argument.  NY doesnt need to be funding these companies with tax incentives in the billions of dollars. 
Amazon already has offices in NY.  If they need more people in ny to be competitive they will move people here without incentive.  Amazon can afford the difference of $3billion.

Give that incentive to companies who could benefit from it and who would benefit the city. 
Continue to invest in universities like Cornell Tech that will conti us to bring more tech companies to nyc

My disagreement falls into: Amazon wasn't going to pay that $3B anyway, so giving them a "break" just made accounting's job a little easier for a couple of years. And in the meantime, it was an additional 25k jobs, and a step towards making NY more of a tech hub. Again, Google decided to invest another $1B in reaction to Amazon coming here. That would've happened with other tech companies as well had the deal completed.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #921 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #922 on: March 15, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47566981

I love how the article makes it sound like the mob is on the decline.

What mob?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #924 on: July 11, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
That's one of the best cases of Small Man Syndrome I've ever seen.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #925 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »
That's one of the best cases of Small Man Syndrome I've ever seen.
YOU'RE NOT GOD, OR MY FATHER, OR MY BOSS!

So much to unpack there

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #926 on: December 29, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
Seems like there’s been a rash of antisemetic attacks in NY recently

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #927 on: December 29, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »
Last night:

BREAKING — 5 people have been stabbed at a Rabbi’s home in Monsey, Rockland County during a Hanukkah celebration. Suspect reportedly had a machete and followed those who fled to a nearby synagogue. We have several reporters on the way @CBSNewYork

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #928 on: December 29, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
It's the 7th night of Chanukkah. There have been 10 anti-Semitic attacks this week. Five Jews were stabbed with a machete tonight celebrating the holiday of lights.

This and the shooting in Jersey City the other week

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #929 on: January 23, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »
Andy Byford resigned after apparently falling out with Cuomo. Send him back please.