Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197469 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
So you have a job at the moment or no?

He is a nurse with a masters degree in finance, and he is making $75,000 in the real world.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
But try to tell any high schooler that and you'll be accused of oppressing them and crushing their dreams.

Higher education needs some serious reform.

One of many reasons I didn't get my degree in computer science is I didn't have the desire to take Calc I and Calc II.  What the freak do you need that excrement for?  School would have been more desirable, if the just taught me how to hack into an ATM.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »
Huh? Walmart doesn't get government subsidies. I have no idea what you're talking about. You may be confused with the fact that many of their employees use Medicaid, but that in no way means that Walmart is taxpayer subsidized. And I don't want to get into the laws of supply and demand how how it pertains to labor costs.

And so what if a CEO makes 200x more than the average employee? Besides, that's not how every business is run. Obviously companies that aren't very top-heavy and who employ hundreds of thousands of people will skew those numbers. The guy who runs Walmart and who is responsible for over 2.2 million employees absolutely deserves to make 1,000 times more than the average employee there. And why not? The company is extremely profitable. Companies that are doing poorly don't pay their CEOs ridiculous sums of money. Also keep in mind that those numbers include stock options, which are directly tied to a company's performance.

I hate it when people turn it into an "us" vs "them" argument. I know you're better than that.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/news/companies/walmart-medicaid/index.html

http://www.walmartsubsidywatch.org/

Walmart most certainly has received government aid, both directly and indirectly.  Have you ever actually followed the process of Walmart taking over a town?  There's a reason my city will never have a Walmart.  We have civic responsibility and foresight.  No one here is going to take a bribe to let Walmart in and then watch it drain the local economy.  And save the supply and demand argument.  That relies upon a free market, which we most certainly do not have.  It's a fixed system for corporations, which act with increasing impunity.  And as for struggling companies not overpaying executives, the CEO of Hostess got a massive pay increase when the company started to tank.  All of those Wall Street execs got their golden parachutes as well.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
He is a nurse with a masters degree in finance, and he is making $75,000 in the real world.

Finance degree was poor judgement on my part (the financial collapse was in my final semester) , but im hoping it helps down the road

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
One of many reasons I didn't get my degree in computer science is I didn't have the desire to take Calc I and Calc II.  What the freak do you need that excrement for?  School would have been more desirable, if the just taught me how to hack into an ATM.
I took a Calc I equivalent in my senior year of HS, then started college with some bs math class to fulfill a basic requirement. Then I found out I needed to take Calc II if I wanted to take a higher level Geology course (and promptly said "freak this" after a week of CII and never pursued more Geology courses). Still not sure if I regret that.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Ah, I see. You do a excrement load of work, probably more than your superiors, but they get paid more. Boo hoo for you. If you don't like it then start your own business, or try and become one of those executives. Also, every company is different. I've worked for executives who were under a excrement ton of pressure, and who worked their asses off. But of course if you're an executive and making more than the hardworking grunts, then you're obviously a piece of excrement who doesn't deserve his position. Thanks, Alio.

I just ran an IP check, and I can confirm that Tommy is in fact Petro.

This country already has socialized health care in the form of Medicare and Medicaid. I wrote this on the other board, but nearly a quarter of government spending goes right to government health care, and people are still uninsured -- to compare, Canada's federal budget allocation for healthcare as a percentage is actually almost half ours, and they have much more coverage. Those programs need to be reformed. We shouldn't just be adding new inefficient programs just because.

I agree with this.  It's also important to note that Canada's population is little more than a tenth of that of the US.  It's a big part of why I loathe bureaucracy on the federal level.  There is always going to be a higher order of inefficiency and waste.  It's the same thing I say when people ask why we can't have an educational system just like Finland's.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:47:38 PM by Ignatius J Reilly »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
It's the same thing I say when people ask why we can't have an educational system just like Finland's.

"It would never work, you don't speak good enough Finnish."
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
To steer things back on topic, it just annoys me that most people look at Lhota, think "ew a republican" and completely shut off their brain. FFS, even Carrion is a viable option but people won't vote for someone if they don't think they'll win even if they completely align on the issues.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
It's actually a positive sign for the economy. When people are busy working, there's less time to go out and kill others.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
To steer things back on topic, it just annoys me that most people look at Lhota, think "ew a republican" and completely shut off their brain. FFS, even Carrion is a viable option but people won't vote for someone if they don't think they'll win even if they completely align on the issues.

I'll be quite honest, Lhota had no chance with me from the start. Not because he's a Republican, but because he formerly ran the MTA. I would have voted for that fat guy if he beat out Lhota.

Well done, New York.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/14/no-murders-this-week-in-nyc/

I saw a tweet this morning about this. It's strange, I follow people on Twitter from everywhere and there are times when people tweet about someone dying in their "city" tragically like it's huge news. For New Yorkers, we're never surprised at pile-up car accidents or murders.

It's actually a positive sign for the economy. When people are busy working, there's less time to go out and kill others.

Please tell me you were trying to be funny.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
Go figure, I watched the debate by accident last night and actually felt like Lhota beat DeBlasio. I also learned that DeBlasio is a Red Sox/Celtics fan, that asswipe.

Maybe I'll just vote for the "Rent is too damn high" guy. He just officially entered the race yesterday.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
I told you Deblasio is a piece of excrement.

Ha I voted for the rent is too damn high guy last time.
"Wrong!"