Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 194837 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »

I find it difficult to even respond to this post without being insulting.

A guy making $50k "barely graduated high school"? Really?

As for the "overwhelming majority" being able to move up if they're not lazy, sure, I'd agree. As long they aren't Black, Latino, Asian, Indian, or female.

There was a pretty famous post or article (I can't recall exactly and never read it) written not too long ago about how white guys in America live their whole lives pressing the Easy button and never once realize just how easy they have it. I thought it was bullshit at the time and wrote it off as whining by those who feel needlessly marginalized. Then I started paying some attention.

White men in America haven't the slightest clue how easy we have it. Even moreso for those of us who aren't homosexual.

And using the guy cleaning toilets to compare with anyone making $50k is just utterly laughable. I work with a lot people who I'm certain don't even make $50k who have their degrees in fields that aren't "Art History" or some other ridiculous garbage. And they're not cleaning toilets.

Bullshit

I got a fricken nursing degree, which means 90% of my classmates were either female, black, or latino. And theyre all making 75k+ a year with a bachelors degree in their 20s. And this was from a mediocre state college.

And the thought that you included asians on that list is absolutely LAUGHABLE, considering asians make a freak ton of money. (read an article the other day that asians make like 97% as much as white men or something)

Blacks and Latinos incredibly huge culture problems. Yes white people have it too, but its definitely the worst in those two.

But I  really dont like talking race since its impossible to do without coming off racist to some degree.

as to the  50k a year thing well part of that has to do with where you live. i mean in some parts of the country (ie bumble freak everywhere between the east and west coast) 50k a year is a decent chunk of change due to the lower cost of living.

Making 50k a year really isnt hard at all. I was making 35k a year when I was in highschool

The biggest thing stopping people from a decent wage is themselves, period

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
People who go to school for the sake of going to school are just morons.
Unfortunately we're now told from birth that if we don't go to college that our life is ruined and we'll never be able to do anything ever. As a result we now have a ton of people who went to college for the sake of going to college and have no marketable skills.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
These people I'm referencing have degrees in business and science fields. I get the feeling you haven't worked in the 'real world' yet.

lol I probably work more in the "real world" than 99% of people

If I freak up my job someone gets killed, I get sued, or end up in the hospital

Business degrees arent tough, I got my masters in finance. Unless you end up in ivy league business degrees have just as many dead beats as liberal arts and all the stupid excrement. Yes it has more application, but its still grossly oversaturated.

As far as science fields, I dont know anyone who graduated with a science degree and doesnt make good money. unless they were a retard who went for like marine biology or something stupid as freak

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
Well people who are retarded enough to spend thousands of dollars/years of their life on a degree that has absolutely no practical use are morons.

Yeah 4 years, 200k, on a liberal arts degree? Have fun with that

If youre gonna go to school, you go for something you can apply. You wanna be a lawyer be a lawyer, be a doctor do that, accountant sure.

People who go to school for the sake of going to school are just morons. And hell most college students are lazy too, im not gonna pretend that every degree takes hard work to get

I would have to say, you have no idea what real life is like.  I don't have a degree, I worked numerous hours and worked my way up.  Now I have reached a plateau because I don't have a degree.  I was recently passed up on a position on easy street because a candidate just out of school had a degree. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
Unfortunately we're now told from birth that if we don't go to college that our life is ruined and we'll never be able to do anything ever. As a result we now have a ton of people who went to college for the sake of going to college and have no marketable skills.

Definitely, most college students probably fall into this boat and its sad.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
Bullshit

I got a fricken nursing degree, which means 90% of my classmates were either female, black, or latino. And theyre all making 75k+ a year with a bachelors degree in their 20s. And this was from a mediocre state college.

And the thought that you included asians on that list is absolutely LAUGHABLE, considering asians make a freak ton of money. (read an article the other day that asians make like 97% as much as white men or something)

Blacks and Latinos incredibly huge culture problems. Yes white people have it too, but its definitely the worst in those two.

But I  really dont like talking race since its impossible to do without coming off racist to some degree.

as to the  50k a year thing well part of that has to do with where you live. i mean in some parts of the country (ie bumble freak everywhere between the east and west coast) 50k a year is a decent chunk of change due to the lower cost of living.

Making 50k a year really isnt hard at all. I was making 35k a year when I was in highschool

The biggest thing stopping people from a decent wage is themselves, period

national average.  The nation is more than just NYC, just in case you didn't realize.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
I would have to say, you have no idea what real life is like.  I don't have a degree, I worked numerous hours and worked my way up.  Now I have reached a plateau because I don't have a degree.  I was recently passed up on a position on easy street because a candidate just out of school had a degree. 

But you opted not to go to school, which is fine. Thats your choice, and youre allowed to.

Right now i make pretty good money, if I want to make great money im going to have to start a phd program going to school full time and working full time on top of that.

Its going to be tough and stressful as freak, but if i want to move up and make like 200k a year thats what i got to do.

And if I decide to spend the next 3-4 years spending 80-90~ hours a week in school/working + studying I dont want some jerkoff saying I should be paying 50% of my wage in taxes because the world isnt fair and that im successful because im a white man

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
Definitely, most college students probably fall into this boat and its sad.
But try to tell any high schooler that and you'll be accused of oppressing them and crushing their dreams.

Higher education needs some serious reform.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »
But try to tell any high schooler that and you'll be accused of oppressing them and crushing their dreams.

Higher education needs some serious reform.

In the biggest kind of way.

I hate this excrement where they try to push people into college, and waste millions of dollars "better their lives" where people end up in college where they can do NOTHING but party drink and (sometimes) do drugs, and still "graduate"

Colleges need to make people accountable, and teach them some responsibitly.

Thats not to say you cant be a mess and have fun, but you gotta learn something too.

I think college in this country is for the most part a complete joke

If you get into the right program itll be amazing and do great excrement, but more often than not its just a lazy pathetic mess

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
But you opted not to go to school, which is fine. Thats your choice, and youre allowed to.

Right now i make pretty good money, if I want to make great money im going to have to start a phd program going to school full time and working full time on top of that.

Its going to be tough and stressful as freak, but if i want to move up and make like 200k a year thats what i got to do.

And if I decide to spend the next 3-4 years spending 80-90~ hours a week in school/working + studying I dont want some jerkoff saying I should be paying 50% of my wage in taxes because the world isnt fair and that im successful because im a white man

I thought you were still in school and moving to the NYC area for employment...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
I thought you were still in school and moving to the NYC area for employment...

I live in long island (which is NY but not NYC)

But im done with school, finished school and passed my boards in may

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

I didn't say I didn't go to school.  I said I don't have a degree.  I went for computer science, and at the time people with masters degrees were working at gas stations.  I opted to forego college to pursue a career.  I was saying that in this day and age if you don't have a degree, you are not playing on an even playing field. 

My previous post is that today's society is having a hard time because they can't afford the necessities in life.  Let alone school loans (which is not what I was talking about).  The banking system is in complete disarray, and the economic outlook for the next generation is even worse. 

I believe the argument started out with 200x or 1000x the average wage.  I was trying to generalize the financial system this country lives in.  If people aren't making money, they can't spend it.  If they can't spend it, companies can't thrive.  If companies can't thrive, than people can't make money.  It is an endless cycle and is only getting worse. 

20 years from now, the national cost of living is going to double, triple or worse, IMO.  Wages are going to stay stagnant, and therefore only big corporations are going to thrive, and small business will be a thing of the past.   

FTR, I commend anyone that has the ambition to move up in the world.  However, I don't think a piece of paper should dictate who is qualified and who isn't.  There is no better teacher than experience. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:25:31 PM by hawk »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
I was going to point out the irony of the typos in your last sentence but you fixed it.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
I live in long island (which is NY but not NYC)

But im done with school, finished school and passed my boards in may

So you have a job at the moment or no?

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »
I was going to point out the irony of the typos in your last sentence but you fixed it.

Typing with one eye over my shoulder.