Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197336 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #1695 on: March 27, 2024, 04:05:47 PM »
Congestion charging is absolutely the right thing to do and there are no good arguments against it. I was living in London when they introduced it 20 years ago and I absolutely hated the idea, but the reality was brilliant. I still drove into London but every time I did I had to think about whether I actually needed to enough to justify the cost - usually I didn't and it was just as easy for me to take the Tube, and if I did decide I really had to drive it was much quicker and easier because it wasn't full of lazy twats like me clogging up the roads because I couldn't be arsed to take the train.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1696 on: March 27, 2024, 05:47:52 PM »
Congestion charging is absolutely the right thing to do and there are no good arguments against it. I was living in London when they introduced it 20 years ago and I absolutely hated the idea, but the reality was brilliant. I still drove into London but every time I did I had to think about whether I actually needed to enough to justify the cost - usually I didn't and it was just as easy for me to take the Tube, and if I did decide I really had to drive it was much quicker and easier because it wasn't full of lazy twats like me clogging up the roads because I couldn't be arsed to take the train.

I live 11 miles from my office. Yesterday it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get home.

The MTA board, the governor, the mayor, and everyone on the city council should be legally mandated to only take public transportation whenever they are within the 5 boroughs.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #1697 on: March 27, 2024, 06:01:34 PM »

All fair points but what of the public employees who drive their private vehicles to work, like first responders and teachers. Despite their push to be excused, they were denied exemptions  Or black hi-end autos with “Official” plates on them?  And what of the working stiff earning less than $50k?

The Tube?  Having taken the Underground in London I couldn’t help but notice those who were not in a rush keeping to the right in a display of common courtesy to allow others to pass.  NYC?  Different universe and underground mass transit in today’s ‘Fun City’ is hardly an incentive.

That said, and speaking of the Tube(s) and London (hammersmith odeon), recommended:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Do_You_Want_from_Live

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1698 on: March 27, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »
I live 11 miles from my office. Yesterday it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get home.

The MTA board, the governor, the mayor, and everyone on the city council should be legally mandated to only take public transportation whenever they are within the 5 boroughs.

I don't know how NY will implement it but official vehicles are I believe exempted in London.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1699 on: March 27, 2024, 06:53:23 PM »
All fair points but what of the public employees who drive their private vehicles to work, like first responders and teachers. Despite their push to be excused, they were denied exemptions  Or black hi-end autos with “Official” plates on them?  And what of the working stiff earning less than $50k?

Those are all situations than can be managed by commercial models, through allowing public employees who have no choice but to drive to be exempted, providing discounts for the low waged who for one reason or other have to drive, and charging the freak out of black hi-end private hire vehicles.

The Tube?  Having taken the Underground in London I couldn’t help but notice those who were not in a rush keeping to the right in a display of common courtesy to allow others to pass.  NYC?  Different universe and underground mass transit in today’s ‘Fun City’ is hardly an incentive.

I don't think "MTA is rude and full of assholes" is really a good reason not to get people out of cars. Ultimately, it is an inescapable fact that driving has a huge social, economic and environmental impact and that's exacerbated in big, busy cities. We have to face up to the costs of our own choices, and we have to pay them. Sometimes that means making unpopular decisions, but again - other cities have done it and it works. It's not without pain, but as much as Americans like to believe that what works elsewhere in the world won't work in the US because of how special you are as a nation, that's mostly not true at all. You're just a little more intransigent than most. ;-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Do_You_Want_from_Live

I don't know that one. Slightly disappointed you didn't go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4EFDGP4yg

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #1700 on: March 27, 2024, 07:17:36 PM »

And what of the working stiff earning less than $50k?

Why is this person driving into Manhattan daily?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #1701 on: March 27, 2024, 07:22:48 PM »
Those are all situations than can be managed by commercial models, through allowing public employees who have no choice but to drive to be exempted, providing discounts for the low waged who for one reason or other have to drive, and charging the freak out of black hi-end private hire vehicles.

I'd rather not render congestion pricing useless through countless exceptions. They already have a few but I'd have to look them up, don't know them offhand.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1702 on: March 27, 2024, 07:25:17 PM »
I'd rather not render congestion pricing useless through countless exceptions. They already have a few but I'd have to look them up, don't know them offhand.

I agree. City service vehicles are an obvious one, but exemptions should not be easy to get.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1703 on: March 27, 2024, 10:31:36 PM »
I don't know how NY will implement it but official vehicles are I believe exempted in London.

Because of course they are. Why should they be subjected to the same hardships as the peasant class?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1704 on: March 27, 2024, 10:34:27 PM »
Interesting that the MTA board held their sham "vote" as though any public comment were ever going to matter while MTA officers literally guarded the doors to the building behind gates.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1705 on: March 27, 2024, 10:39:51 PM »
FTR, I'm not totally against congestion pricing, but $15 is a bit much. The exceptions aren't much. And these assholes don't eat their own turd sandwich.

Provide good service and people will take public transportation. Most people don't want to drive in Manhattan, never mind find and pay for parking. But service was insanely bad pre-pandemic and is hurtling towards the same level again.

And the only reason they'll even get their way is because CEOs continue to demand people trek in multiple times a week just to lord over their desk serfdom.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #1706 on: April 03, 2024, 06:31:43 PM »
We love to pay contractors for excrement that doesn't work in the name of security theater

When Mayor Eric Adams announced last week that the City would soon be testing AI-powered weapons-detection systems in the subway, and posed next to one such system, made by a company called Evolv, he touted the feedback the system has gotten from other customers. "What I'm hearing from my corporations, from my hospitals, from others, they're saying this is living up to our expectation," he said.

But Hell Gate contributor Felipe De La Hoz got his hands on the numbers showing what happened when the Evolv system was tested at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx in 2022: The system threw up a huge number of false alarms, triggering on roughly one in four people to pass through it, even though less than half of one percent of those alarms actually constituted an actual threat.

NYC Has Tried AI Weapons Scanners Before. The Result: Tons of False Positives
By Felipe De La Hoz

Last week, Mayor Eric Adams announced that he was kicking off a 90-day waiting period to test weapons scanners on New York City's subway system.

The scanners that he demonstrated, provided by Evolv Technology, purport to mix physical detection technology with artificial intelligence to indicate when someone is carrying a gun or a knife, and have been used in City hospitals before, something Adams alluded to at the press conference at Fulton Street station.

"We are going to make sure, based on our numbers, hit ratio, false hit, we're going to do our data," Adams told reporters. "What I'm hearing from my corporations, from my hospitals, from others, they're saying this is living up to our expectation."

What Adams didn't mention was that the City already has some data, and it's not good. Evolv's scanners were installed at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx in 2022, and triggered huge numbers of false positives, according to the results of the pilot obtained by Hell Gate through a public records request filed with NYC Health + Hospitals.

Over the seven months that the Jacobi pilot was active, 194,000 people passed through Jacobi's scanners, and in just over 50,000 of those cases, the scanners threw up an alarm—an incidence rate of around 26 percent, or over one of every four times someone passed through the scanner. Of those 50,000 alarms, around 43,800, or a little more than 85 percent, were false positives; 7,027 of the alarms, or 14 percent, were law enforcement officers who were presumably carrying their service weapons; and just 295 alarms, or 0.57 percent, were determined to be a non-law enforcement person carrying either a knife, a gun, or a threat type labeled only "other," which likely entails other weapons like bats.

Notably, Evolv's scanners did not get any more accurate as the pilot progressed—there was not a single month where the alarm to visitor ratio fell below 25 percent. In September of 2022, the final month of the seven-month pilot, 27,900 visitors passed through the scanners, and nearly 7,000 threw alarms; out of those 7,000 alarms, just 345 potential threats were identified—a false positive rate of 95 percent, with only 0.45 percent of alerts being non-law enforcement threats. Throughout the entire pilot, the alerts led to the finding of 24 guns, 139 knives, and 132 other potential threats, out of the 50,000 alarms sounded.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1707 on: April 03, 2024, 10:20:10 PM »
Maybe we could look at finding shelter for the homeless on every single car. Or maybe all those cops that are supposed to be checking passengers for weapons but just stand around bullshitting until finding someone in a hurry to get on the subway to freak with, could I dunno, maybe stop people from being pushed in front of trains?

My commute home yesterday was a mess because someone was hit by a train, and I read that today a conductor was killed by one. Weapons don't seem to be the primary problem.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1708 on: April 05, 2024, 09:36:52 AM »
Y'all feel an earthquake?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1709 on: April 05, 2024, 09:45:11 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"