Author Topic: New Jersey Devils Thread  (Read 18483 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: New Jersey Devils Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2022, 04:40:34 PM »
When it was 3-2 I started nodding off on the couch and packed it in for the night. Woke up to a nice surprise.
I went to the freaking bathroom and came back and we were winning. I didn't even notice the score change right away. Crazy.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2022, 06:22:25 PM »
The Devils remind me a lot of the Jets. Two young teams on long playoff droughts that finally are starting to turn it around with promising young cores.

If the Devils had a goalie, they could be Cup contenders this year.

If the Jets had a QB, they could be SB contenders this year.

Jets are banking on Zach Wilson's development speeding up this season. Devils were banking on a Blackwood bounceback with Vanacek. If Blackwood is hurt, I wonder if they look to make a trade at some point, especially if Vanacek is inconsistent.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2022, 06:44:46 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1589682986647048194?s=46&t=pHwn0ZtejDffOwa1m2a-cA

freak. At some point the organization is going to have to reconcile themselves to the fact that this kid seems made out of glass.

The Devils remind me a lot of the Jets. Two young teams on long playoff droughts that finally are starting to turn it around with promising young cores.

If the Devils had a goalie, they could be Cup contenders this year.

If the Jets had a QB, they could be SB contenders this year.

Jets are banking on Zach Wilson's development speeding up this season. Devils were banking on a Blackwood bounceback with Vanacek. If Blackwood is hurt, I wonder if they look to make a trade at some point, especially if Vanacek is inconsistent.

Vanacek has actually played really well, but that's in a limited sample size. I would think if Bernier can actually play (I thought he was done done?!), that they're going to trot him out there initially as a backup, and any impulse to deal for a goalie is also going to depend on how long Blackwood is actually out for.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2022, 07:07:37 PM »
freak. At some point the organization is going to have to reconcile themselves to the fact that this kid seems made out of glass.

Vanacek has actually played really well, but that's in a limited sample size. I would think if Bernier can actually play (I thought he was done done?!), that they're going to trot him out there initially as a backup, and any impulse to deal for a goalie is also going to depend on how long Blackwood is actually out for.
It also depends how good this team is. If the 5-on-5 numbers remain as good as they are, we might want to strike while the iron is hot and try to upgrade that position.

That's fair about Vanacek. I held the Red Wings game against him more than I should. He will get an extended chance to take that job now. However, I'm not sold on him being a guy you really want as your No. 1 goalie in the playoffs. And it's so hard to trust Blackwood at this point, even if he gets healthy.

The Devils might be the best 5-on-5 team in the NHL so far. If that continues for a few more months, they need to make sure we have quality goaltending.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »
It also depends how good this team is. If the 5-on-5 numbers remain as good as they are, we might want to strike while the iron is hot and try to upgrade that position.

That's fair about Vanacek. I held the Red Wings game against him more than I should. He will get an extended chance to take that job now. However, I'm not sold on him being a guy you really want as your No. 1 goalie in the playoffs. And it's so hard to trust Blackwood at this point, even if he gets healthy.

The Devils might be the best 5-on-5 team in the NHL so far. If that continues for a few more months, they need to make sure we have quality goaltending.

Agreed with all of this.

7 in a row, makes me wonder if Johnny Hockey's regretting his decision. That might be a dodged bullet considering what this team is going to have to pay Bratt. Can't lose him under any circumstances.

Apparently Bernier reinjured himself, so at the very least if Blackwood is out 4-6 weeks, it might behoove Fitz to give the Sens a call on Cam Talbott a call for a mutually beneficial albeit temporary pairing.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2022, 09:32:39 PM »
There is absolutely zero chance we're taking a call about Talbot, he's our #1 and we are supposedly trying to be competitive this year.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2022, 09:48:39 PM »
There is absolutely zero chance we're taking a call about Talbot, he's our #1 and we are supposedly trying to be competitive this year.

I thought Anton Forsberg was your #1?

If that's the case, then agreed, its entirely too early for Ottawa to make that kind of deal, even with their slow start. Lot of new bodies in that dressing room, 12 games doesn't define a season good or bad.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2022, 09:50:23 PM »
I thought Anton Forsberg was your #1?

If that's the case, then agreed, its entirely too early for Ottawa to make that kind of deal, even with their slow start. Lot of new bodies in that dressing room, 12 games doesn't define a season good or bad.
Forsberg was starting because Talbot was injured at the beginning of the season.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2022, 09:03:12 PM »
8 in a row. Holding my breath that Vanny is ok.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:25 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2022, 09:45:55 PM »

we are supposedly trying to be competitive this year.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2022, 10:01:54 PM »

In fairness they actually played well today (was very impressed with Forsberg), and Devils caught a break late in the game on what should have been a penalty against Graves.

Sens have too much talent to be 4-8-1.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2022, 10:30:26 PM »
Ottawa was only -2 GF/GA going into tonight's game

Sens <--- ?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2022, 07:23:01 AM »
In fairness they actually played well today (was very impressed with Forsberg), and Devils caught a break late in the game on what should have been a penalty against Graves.

Sens have too much talent to be 4-8-1.

We got shellacked in the second and were lucky to get a loser point. We have a lot of talent on offense, but we're dreadful in our own zone - we don't clear effectively, our zone exits are often terrible (qv twice in the third period when we had a defenseman behind the net with the puck waiting for the forwards to create space and passing lanes and both times ended up giving the puck directly to a Devil), and our transition game is to put it politely a bit seat of the pants.

For the fourth time in four seasons we're having a dreadful start to the season and playing ourselves out of contention before the Christmas trees have gone up. This is 100% on coaching and I'm not watching this team any more until DJ Smith is fired.

Tags: devils