Author Topic: 2015 NFL Draft: QB's?  (Read 57658 times)

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
Re: 2015 NFL Draft: QB's?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
Given how you were instrumental in convincing me Wilson and Coples were great picks when I didn't get the selections, I'll take this as a ringing endorsement of Winston.

I never said Coples was a great Pick.

I was a Kyle Wilson fan, just like many on this site.

FWIW, I was a big fan of Kyle Fuller to the Jets, that would have been a nice addition to our lack of CBs.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
If Percy Harvin is still a Jet in 2015, it would be overkill to draft a receiver in the top five. 

I love Amari Cooper, but wide receiver has moved down on the list of needs for us.  We'd have to consider quarterback, cornerback, and offensive line over wideout.

We don't know if Harvin will still be a Jet, depends on what happens with the changes in the off season. I hope Percy sticks around.

Rex was prasing D-brick last week, I been watching the O-Line and D-brick's game has eroded, he's still servicable, but nothing special any longer.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »
I like Christian Hackenberg and Kevin Hogan (I believe he has another year of eligibility) who could be both top QBs in 2016. 

I would kill myself if the Jets had the opportunity to draft Winston, but waited a year to draft Kevin Hogan.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
If this team passes on Winston (or to a lesser extent, Mariota), Id be beyond frustrated. The one position that has held this team back for what seems like almost the entirety of its existence is the QB position. Winston may be a dumbass off the field, but his football IQ is 2nd to none in college football, and that is something that Ive come to value extremely highly.

Im sick of seeing dumb asses take the field who legitimately can not read a defense, or make a single pre-snap read. The NY Jets are going no where unless they figure the QB position out. Mike Vick or Brian Hoyer might hold the fort for a year or two, but they are never winning any significant game for us, no matter what the team around them is like.

Hitting on a young QB is the best way for this team to become a true playoff contender. Passing on an elite talent at QB (Winston) simply because you just want to wait another year or two is a decision that can haunt a franchise for years. Id rather swing for the fences on a QB prospect like Winston than draft a tackle like D'Brick... No dislike towards D'Brick, but he is/was not leading the Jets to any SB. A franchise QB would. A tackle, or OLB, taken in the top 5 probably has a similar bust rate as a QB, but a hit on a QB can lead a franchise to competing to a decade.

Also, if you fail to address the QB position relatively high in the first round, its extremely unlikely you'll find a quality QB.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
Winston is already making adjustments at the line in college and he's still never lost a game. Make sure he never goes out again and I'll take him in a heartbeat

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
If he keeps playing this way, hold on to Michael Vick for another season and hope a decent prospect falls into the second round/sign a worthy backup like Colt McCoy or Tyrod Taylor.

We really just need a hold the fort type player at QB for 2015.  This team is not going to be good for a few years. 

The secondary and LB corps need to be rebuilt and the OL needs an overhaul.
Is it realistic to imagine that Vick could be our QB with a new HC and likely OC here?

I can't imagine us bringing him back to learn a new offense, after he played an  role in getting our HC and OC fired.

I don't know what we'd do about QB if we don't draft one.

But I can almost guarantee the answers not on the roster

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 07:35:28 PM »
If this team passes on Winston (or to a lesser extent, Mariota), Id be beyond frustrated. The one position that has held this team back for what seems like almost the entirety of its existence is the QB position. Winston may be a dumbass off the field, but his football IQ is 2nd to none in college football, and that is something that Ive come to value extremely highly.

Im sick of seeing dumb asses take the field who legitimately can not read a defense, or make a single pre-snap read. The NY Jets are going no where unless they figure the QB position out. Mike Vick or Brian Hoyer might hold the fort for a year or two, but they are never winning any significant game for us, no matter what the team around them is like.

Hitting on a young QB is the best way for this team to become a true playoff contender. Passing on an elite talent at QB (Winston) simply because you just want to wait another year or two is a decision that can haunt a franchise for years. Id rather swing for the fences on a QB prospect like Winston than draft a tackle like D'Brick... No dislike towards D'Brick, but he is/was not leading the Jets to any SB. A franchise QB would. A tackle, or OLB, taken in the top 5 probably has a similar bust rate as a QB, but a hit on a QB can lead a franchise to competing to a decade.

Also, if you fail to address the QB position relatively high in the first round, its extremely unlikely you'll find a quality QB.

I'd preorder a Randy Gregory jersey just to be safe.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »
I can't imagine us bringing him back to learn a new offense, after he played an  role in getting our HC and OC fired.

How did Vick play a role in getting Rex Ryan fired?  Vick has played well in his one start. 

That could change, but you are way off base (as usual).

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »
I'd preorder a Randy Gregory jersey just to be safe.

Gotta keep the streak going.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
Gunner Kiel could be a guy that makes the jump even though he finally found a spot in college. He's had no issue changing his mind and jumping ship before. He could contend for a high spot thanks to his physical gifts alone.

I'm a big Connor Cook fan, I'd love to see him with the Jets. He's a guy who makes some bad decisions, but has a really good arm and isn't afraid to try and make a big play.

Shane Carden is showing that he deserves a shot to be something. He won't catch Mannion or Petty as too sr qbs, but he's playing himself into the mud rounds. He's got great feet, though his mechanics aren't great.

Trevor knight on the other hand has everything except height. If he was even measured at 6'2 I don't think there's a debate about the draft's #1 QB.

Jameis is a great college player, but I don't see a great prospect. He's got many of the same issues as Hundley (drops his eyes under pressure, poor ball location) except he has the cast to limit his issues.

Give me Sam Bradford to take the reigns, and any combination of Cooks, Petty or Carden to sit for a year or two. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Give me Sam Bradford to take the reigns, and any combination of Cooks, Petty or Carden to sit for a year or two. 

Petty and Carden are not NFL QBs.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
Petty and Carden are not NFL QBs.

Ok.

Since you say that, I will take Sam Bradford, and any combination of Cooks, Petty or Carden.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
Is it realistic to imagine that Vick could be our QB with a new HC and likely OC here?

I don't know what we'd do about QB if we don't draft one.

But I can almost guarantee the answers not on the roster

Vick didn't have much to do with Rex potentially getting fired. He's played 1 game where he had a role in the outcome, and he didn't play badly. If the Jets draft Winston, Vick is a good fit to mentor him, based on almost everything we've heard about Vick. I was annoyed at the 'preparation' bit, but that was likely overblown.

Jameis has every on-field tool you need to be a star NFL quarterback. He's also an on-field vocal leader that his teammates seem to gravitate to. The only reason he's not the clear-cut #1 is because of his off-field issues.

That said, he has taken a step back on the field this season, partly due to the lesser talent around him.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:52:31 PM by Derek Smalls »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
Carden definitely isn't.  He's a decent college qb but the offense makes him look better than he is.  And it's all passing so his stats are bloated.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
Carden definitely isn't.  He's a decent college qb but the offense makes him look better than he is.  And it's all passing so his stats are bloated.

The same could be said about Petty.