Author Topic: 2015 NFL Draft: QB's?  (Read 57661 times)

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
Re: 2015 NFL Draft: QB's?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
Week by week, this becomes more important.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
I still prefer Jameis to Mariota. I think Jameis is a much better fit right now for a pro-style scheme.

I don't think Mariota is a good fit for New York personality-wise. He's a very quiet kid and I don't know if he could handle the scrutiny of being the Jets quarterback while he makes the transition from Oregon's offense to a more pro-style offense.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
If we can't get Jameis Winston, I'd like to see us take Cedric Ogbuehi or Andrus Peat.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »
If we can't get Jameis Winston, I'd like to see us take Cedric Ogbuehi or Andrus Peat.

So what would you do about the QB position next year in that case? (I'm not saying I disagree with you.)
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
So what would you do about the QB position next year in that case? (I'm not saying I disagree with you.)

If he keeps playing this way, hold on to Michael Vick for another season and hope a decent prospect falls into the second round/sign a worthy backup like Colt McCoy or Tyrod Taylor.

We really just need a hold the fort type player at QB for 2015.  This team is not going to be good for a few years. 

The secondary and LB corps need to be rebuilt and the OL needs an overhaul.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
If he keeps playing this way, hold on to Michael Vick for another season and hope a decent prospect falls into the second round/sign a worthy backup like Colt McCoy or Tyrod Taylor.

We really just need a hold the fort type player at QB for 2015.  This team is not going to be good for a few years. 

The secondary and LB corps need to be rebuilt and the OL needs an overhaul.

I shied away from phrasing it "Would you bring back Vick?" to not influence the answer. That's exactly what I'd do too. Honestly, I might even pass on Winston. This team needs way too many foundational pieces at this point. I don't want to bring in yet another big prospect and throw him to the wolves.

At the very least, if they do draft Winston, I'd want to bring back Vick just to hold the fort while Winston learns from the bench.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
I shied away from phrasing it "Would you bring back Vick?" to not influence the answer. That's exactly what I'd do too. Honestly, I might even pass on Winston. This team needs way too many foundational pieces at this point. I don't want to bring in yet another big prospect and throw him to the wolves.

At the very least, if they do draft Winston, I'd want to bring back Vick just to hold the fort while Winston learns from the bench.
Vick at least has the year to prove himself.

If the Jets can get a hold-the-fort quarterback, I would be fine with that, but eventually we need that long-term answer. If they think Winston or Mariota has a very good chance to be a franchise quarterback, you have to take the chance. If not, then go with Vick or Bradford or Locker or some other combination and see what happens. This team could absolutely use a cornerstone offensive lineman for the next 10 years like Brick and Mangold have been for the last 10.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
Vick at least has the year to prove himself.

If the Jets can get a hold-the-fort quarterback, I would be fine with that, but eventually we need that long-term answer. If they think Winston or Mariota has a very good chance to be a franchise quarterback, you have to take the chance. If not, then go with Vick or Bradford or Locker or some other combination and see what happens. This team could absolutely use a cornerstone offensive lineman for the next 10 years like Brick and Mangold have been for the last 10.

The important thing is not going a full decade between bringing in said cornerstones.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
The important thing is not going a full decade between bringing in said cornerstones.

Well we hoped to have one in Winters, just like before that we'd hoped to have one in Ducasse. We just need to flat out draft some half-way decent offensive football players. Right now, we simply have been incapable of it.
Need a new one for a new board...

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »

I can't endorse "Jameis to the Jets". I understand he's a Kid and immature, but I'm not handing the keys to the franchise to someone with poor judgement. No question Jameis is extremely talented and has a high football IQ, I just don't think he's the right fit for the Jets with a new football coach.

I see better possible QB candidates in 2016's draft.

I'd take Peat in a heartbeat over Ogbuehi. Peat would be my 1st choice for the Jets at this point with Cooper a close second.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
I can't endorse "Jameis to the Jets". I understand he's a Kid and immature, but I'm not handing the keys to the franchise to someone with poor judgement. No question Jameis is extremely talented and has a high football IQ, I just don't think he's the right fit for the Jets with a new football coach.

You wouldn't be handing him the keys if Michael Vick was still in town.  You'd hand the franchise over to him slowly.  For as much hate as Vick gets, he'd be a great mentor for a player like Jameis Winston.

Who's the right fit?  There's only two potential franchise QBs in this draft class.  I don't think Mariota is a better fit and he's a ways away from being pro-ready.

Who?  ...because if Winston stays another year, he'll be the top QB again in my opinion. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Peat would be my 1st choice for the Jets at this point with Cooper a close second.

If Percy Harvin is still a Jet in 2015, it would be overkill to draft a receiver in the top five. 

I love Amari Cooper, but wide receiver has moved down on the list of needs for us.  We'd have to consider quarterback, cornerback, and offensive line over wideout. 

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »

I'd take Peat in a heartbeat over Ogbuehi. Peat would be my 1st choice for the Jets at this point with Cooper a close second.

Given how you were instrumental in convincing me Wilson and Coples were great picks when I didn't get the selections, I'll take this as a ringing endorsement of Winston.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 05:36:09 PM »
Well we hoped to have one in Winters, just like before that we'd hoped to have one in Ducasse. We just need to flat out draft some half-way decent offensive football players. Right now, we simply have been incapable of it.

Cornerstone = 1st round pick

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
You wouldn't be handing him the keys if Michael Vick was still in town.  You'd hand the franchise over to him slowly.  For as much hate as Vick gets, he'd be a great mentor for a player like Jameis Winston.

Who's the right fit?  There's only two potential franchise QBs in this draft class.  I don't think Mariota is a better fit and he's a ways away from being pro-ready.

Who?  ...because if Winston stays another year, he'll be the top QB again in my opinion.

The Jets are still going to be be shitty next year, the good thing is a new coach will be given time to improve the team.

I doubt Jameis stays another year, but you never know. The Jets probably need to add another QB in the draft, not a 1st Rd player, maybe some that can develop like a Garrett Grayson

I like Christian Hackenberg and Kevin Hogan (I believe he has another year of eligibility) who could be both top QBs in 2016.