Author Topic: John Idzik's conservative approach  (Read 42961 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
John Idzik's conservative approach
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Disenchantment with some in Jets orgn about how conservative GM John Idzik was not more aggressive in off-season. Jets still 21.2M under cap
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: John Idzik's conservative approach
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Disenchantment with some in Jets orgn about how conservative GM John Idzik was not more aggressive in off-season. Jets still 21.2M under cap

I'm okay with Idzik not blowing his load on turds like Verner and DRC.

Having said that, that cap space better be utilized next offseason.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm okay with Idzik not blowing his load on turds like Verner and DRC.

Having said that, that cap space better be utilized next offseason.

When we didn't get the CB we wanted (Davis) I was Ok with us not blowing our load, but if he doesn't use a huge chunk of that money to bring us upgrades (and some youth) at the LB, DB and WR position, and potentially along the interior OL, there will be some insanely angry Jets fans
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
I think Idzik has been playing scared so far.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
I was annoyed that we didn't go after Chris Clemons, but he's been cut and hasn't been picked up, so it looks like I'm not going to be hired as an NFL GM anytime soon.
I think Idzik has been playing scared so far.

I'd probably describe it as overly cautious, but I can't really argue. He needs to show some aggresiveness next year - we have some talent that we need to retain even before we hit free agency.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »
I understand not spending money on a bunch of overpriced players on multi year contracts, but a few big one year deals would've been nice.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
I understand not spending money on a bunch of overpriced players on multi year contracts, but a few big one year deals would've been nice.

Well cap space does carry over, so theoretically we're positioning ourselves to be even more flexible next year.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
Other than corner, where did everyone expect him to spend more money?  Who was out there on the FA market and could have come here?  We signed Vick, Decker, and CJ2K to help the offense.  The corners we went after went elsewhere, which was a big fuckup as we all acknowledged at the time and obviously still agree with.  I don't get who else we were supposed to sign.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
Other than corner, where did everyone expect him to spend more money?  Who was out there on the FA market and could have come here?  We signed Vick, Decker, and CJ2K to help the offense.  The corners we went after went elsewhere, which was a big fuckup as we all acknowledged at the time and obviously still agree with.  I don't get who else we were supposed to sign.

If we had signed Golden Tate as well as Decker we could've had a dangerous offense. Jairus Byrd got a bigger contract than I expected, but it's not a stretch to say we'd be 3-0 if he was on our roster, imo.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »

A Decker and Desean Jackson duo would've been nice.  I wasn't disappointed at the time when we passed on Jackson, but then i saw what we did with the WR position at the draft.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

Sort by overall rating and sign anyone above an 80.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »
I'm cool with Idzik being conservative IF his plan was to evaluate a lot of the young talent (OL, corner, lb, safety, QB) etc

Before going into next offseason and fixing the biggest holes on the roster.

I think it's reasonable especially considering how significant question marks at QB are

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
We had twelve draft picks and a excrement ton of cap space. As well as FA there was trade opportunity, but he preferred to sit on the money and draft a bunch of scrubs.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Even a James Jones type would have been an upgrade over Nelson, and he got no money.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
tannenbaum tried to win the Super Bowl every offseason. Idzik is trying to build a team the can compete for the Super Bowl every year down the road.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about