Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644903 times)

ons

• Chad Pennington
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #375 on: July 16, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
All of you under the age of 30: you're stupid and you don't know what you're talking about.

You get the sense, reading the Reason Foundation and Pew studies, that a savvy pollster could trick a young person into supporting basically any economic policy in the world with the right combination of triggers. Conservative and liberal partisans can cherry-pick this survey to paint Millennials as whatever ideology they want.

This is definitely true, and it makes me really wonder about the future of domestic economic policies. I feel like there is really no firm ideology or even basic understanding about how the global economy works, and the populace is just so incredibly malleable on issues of wealth that political parties are able to dictate to constituents what kind of economic policy to support rather than politicians reacting to a generally well-informed electorate.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #376 on: July 16, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Someone said their wife's friend had to quit her job because they couldn't afford to keep paying the taxes on her income.

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #377 on: July 16, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
There was a great John Oliver quote in the last few days where he basically summed up the thought process of people not calling out politicians for allowing corporate America and the super wealthy to run roughshod over them. It was something along the lines of "I know that the way the system is designed is to ensure that people in my position find it next to impossible to ascend to the level of the wealthy, which is why it's going to be so awesome for me when I get there".
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #378 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
I'd say I know more people who are spiritual but not religious than people who are religious.  Unless I include people I grew up with.
Yeah I think there's a ton of "spiritual"  yoga tree hugging hippies out there who don't believe in religion or anything. But are into all the magical chii spiritual bullshit.

Though I'm not sure if you'd define all that as either spiritual or full blown freaking retarded

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #379 on: July 16, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »

Yeah I think there's a ton of "spiritual"  yoga tree hugging hippies out there who don't believe in religion or anything. But are into all the magical chii spiritual bullshit.

Though I'm not sure if you'd define all that as either spiritual or full blown freaking retarded

No, not really.  Plenty of yoga people and people who eat organic and healthy ad all that, but I don't know more than a couple people I'd call hippies, and about the same number who believe in "magical chi spiritual bullshit."

Most people just use the term to say "I'm a good person who doesn't want the stigma of the word atheist" or are agnostic and it's a nice way if saying it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #380 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
I tend to read it as "I'm inclined to believe in something, but I have no use for organised religion". Which is, I think, an entirely rational and reasonable position to take.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
Most people just use the term to say "I'm a good person who doesn't want the stigma of the word atheist" or are agnostic and it's a nice way if saying it.

Anyone who self-identifies as spiritual isn't an atheist. Or doesn't understand what words mean.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »
Anyone who self-identifies as spiritual isn't an atheist. Or doesn't understand what words mean.
Can you not belive in spirits and souls yet belive there is no God/gods ?

Spirituality is an irrational belief, as is religion.

So why not have two irrational beliefs?

It's not like logic needs apply

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
Can you not belive in spirits and souls yet belive there is no God/gods ?

Spirituality is an irrational belief, as is religion.

So why not have two irrational beliefs?

It's not like logic needs apply

Chances are if you asked a "spiritual" person if they believe in a god they'd be uncomfortable saying no. At least not without a qualifier like "not in the traditional sense".

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

Or they find it to be a nice way of avoiding further discussion.  Most of them tell you they believe in a deep interconnectedness to nature, but no supreme being.  Spiritual has been changed.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

I tend to read it as "I'm inclined to believe in something, but I have no use for organised religion". Which is, I think, an entirely rational and reasonable position to take.

That's probably the most apt definition.  I'd say most people who use the term are agnostic rather than atheist.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
That's probably the most apt definition.  I'd say most people who use the term are agnostic rather than atheist.

So they're agnostic atheists then.

Ignatius J Reilly

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2014, 04:45:14 PM »
yet belive there is no God/gods ?

How can you not believe in god?  You post on this forum and know that I exist.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
How can you not believe in god?  You post on this forum and know that I exist.

dcm's presence on this forum is incontrovertible proof that there is no god.

Tags: