Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644579 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
It's almost hard to imagine swing states not being a thing anymore.

Wouldn't it be glorious?

GFY, Ohio and Florida.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
http://bedford.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/ny-joins-pact-to-elect-presidents-by-popular-vote

Do ittttt

On the one hand, I'm all for the popular vote being the determinate factor for the Presidency. On the other, this defeats the purpose of the Electoral College and makes our local votes less meaningful. The best solution is still to get rid of the Electoral College altogether.

Maybe this is one of those "Let's get this done and show everyone how outdated the system actually is, then we'll work on eliminating it" actions?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2014, 12:22:10 PM »
Going with a straight popular vote in all elections would be the most fair.

In the long run it could hurt Democrats in presidential elections though.  Texas is on the verge of becoming a swing state.  With New York and California guaranteed, if Texas starts leaning blue no other state would need to bother voting.  With a straight popular vote this trifecta would be all but eliminated.

From a selfish standpoint, I am in favor of keeping the EC.  My moral side says it should go away.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
From a selfish standpoint, I am in favor of keeping the EC.  My moral side says it should go away.

If minority voters keep on voting overwhelmingly for Democrats, Republicans are going to have a tough time no matter what the election format is.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
If minority voters keep on voting overwhelmingly for Democrats, Republicans are going to have a tough time no matter what the election format is.

But...

You have to account for the fact that CA has a huge redneck/farmer population, as does NY.  Right now their votes are pointless.  Popular vote puts them back in play.  Granted alot of that would be made up in some of the southern states where dem votes are pointless, but it would change the entire game.

If Texas continues to evolve the way it is, it will become the only swing state that matters for dems under the current system.  CA and NY are in the bag.  If you get TX you can't lose.  F FL and F OH at that point.

Either system we go with, I cannot imagine another republican president for the foreseeable future.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
There is zero legitimate reason to not want popular voting. It's 2014, come on.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
The swing state thing is annoying, but I'm a traditionalist. I don't think we should change for the sake of changing. If anything I'd like to see changes made to campaign donations, etc. unions and corporations shouldn't be able to donate to campaigns.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
The swing state thing is annoying, but I'm a traditionalist. I don't think we should change for the sake of changing. If anything I'd like to see changes made to campaign donations, etc. unions and corporations shouldn't be able to donate to campaigns.

They're gonna donate anyway, even if it's illegal for them to do so. They'll just use back channels and all kinds of shady things.

So might as well make it legal so everything is somewhat more transparent.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »

It's not changing for the sake of changing.  It's changing because the system has been horribly outdated for ages.  Tradition isn't a reason to keep things that are broken within the system, although it's frequently used as an excuse to do just that.

As for the other, good luck.  You can make it more difficult by making it illegal, but that's about it.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
John Stewart destroying Sean Hannity

I loved this, Hannity is unwatchable garbage.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
John Stewart destroying Sean Hannity

I loved this, Hannity is unwatchable garbage.

Saw that as well.  Hannity got his poop pushed in.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
"You are the Arby's news"
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
Arby's...  The Hannity of roast beef.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2014, 06:40:05 AM »
I hate all of those shows. I used to watch while Bush was president when they just spent most of the time defending him against dumb attacks from the left, now they spend their time making dumb attacks against Obama. Both sides do this. MSNBC during the Bush years was basically what Fox News is today. Same with John Stewart. He isn't exactly impartial.

The problem is that most viewers have their minds made up already. They watch these shows because listening to people voice your own opinions is comforting. It's a form of entertainment. Watching the other side just makes you angry.

Basically, freak all these shows. Anyone who watches either religiously is just a shill for one side. That's all.
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Anyone who watches either religiously is just a shill for one side. That's all.

The Daily Show is funny.  That's why I watch it. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: