Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645015 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #8671 on: December 29, 2023, 08:27:25 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/12/29/2023-worst-political-predictions-00132568

People always forget about stuff like this, fun to look back at.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #8672 on: December 29, 2023, 02:36:37 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/12/29/2023-worst-political-predictions-00132568

People always forget about stuff like this, fun to look back at.
“Civil war will break out in the U.S.,” Medvedev wrote. California and Texas will become “independent states as a result."

Dude inspired that movie

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8675 on: January 06, 2024, 01:29:13 PM »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8677 on: January 06, 2024, 02:39:14 PM »
freaking grifter.

Is he? He represents working class Pennsylvania; he's pro union, pro gun control, pro healthcare, pro individual rights, anti corporation, which seems to be entirely in tune with his constituency. He's in many ways more left wing than many of his Democratic colleagues and in others far less progressive, and I think he's always been that way. It feels to me a bit like many left wing voters tried to believe he is what they wanted him to be, and now he's in the Senate and continuing to be who he has always been they're upset that he isn't falling in line with what they think should be his position.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8678 on: January 06, 2024, 02:46:54 PM »
Is he? He represents working class Pennsylvania; he's pro union, pro gun control, pro healthcare, pro individual rights, anti corporation, which seems to be entirely in tune with his constituency. He's in many ways more left wing than many of his Democratic colleagues and in others far less progressive, and I think he's always been that way. It feels to me a bit like many left wing voters tried to believe he is what they wanted him to be, and now he's in the Senate and continuing to be who he has always been they're upset that he isn't falling in line with what they think should be his position.

Ran his entire campaign as "I'm totally a progressive"

The last two months: I'm so not a progressive, you guys!

He's flipped his stance from his campaign to now on several issues. The evidence is in this thread .feel free to read back.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:51:32 PM by CatoTheElder »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8679 on: January 06, 2024, 03:15:57 PM »
Ran his entire campaign as "I'm totally a progressive"

The last two months: I'm so not a progressive, you guys!

He's flipped his stance from his campaign to now on several issues. The evidence is in this thread .feel free to read back.

I think that depends very much on how you define "progressive". He built his reputation on his role as mayor in the rejuvenation of a dead industrial town, including working as a mediator alongside the town police to de-escalate situations and prevent arrests, and using his mayoral office to conduct same sex marriages despite it being illegal in Pennsylvania. Those are key tenets of what is generally considered a progressive position in the modern political world. He also stopped a black kid at gunpoint because he suspected him of committing a crime, which is a decidedly unprogressive action.

I don't think it's contradictory to think that he might look at some of the positions that modern progressives are taking and say "that's not who I am" - I like to think I'm fairly progressive and I do that too - while still considering him to be true to who he always was. The fact that you and others don't like some of the things he says and is is entirely reasonable, but I think he is pretty honest. He wasn't a polished political operator before his stroke and he definitely isn't now, but I respect his willingness to say what he thinks rather than what is most politically expedient to say.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8680 on: January 06, 2024, 03:19:41 PM »
I think that depends very much on how you define "progressive". He built his reputation on his role as mayor in the rejuvenation of a dead industrial town, including working as a mediator alongside the town police to de-escalate situations and prevent arrests, and using his mayoral office to conduct same sex marriages despite it being illegal in Pennsylvania. Those are key tenets of what is generally considered a progressive position in the modern political world. He also stopped a black kid at gunpoint because he suspected him of committing a crime, which is a decidedly unprogressive action.

I don't think it's contradictory to think that he might look at some of the positions that modern progressives are taking and say "that's not who I am" - I like to think I'm fairly progressive and I do that too - while still considering him to be true to who he always was. The fact that you and others don't like some of the things he says and is is entirely reasonable, but I think he is pretty honest. He wasn't a polished political operator before his stroke and he definitely isn't now, but I respect his willingness to say what he thinks rather than what is most politically expedient to say.

No.

He doesn't have to not believe in liberal politics to not be a grifter.

He ran as someone who called himself a progressive and aligned his campaign with Bernie Sanders' politics. Now that he is in office, he has actively declared himself as an opponent to progressive politics and is using this language.

He sold himself as a progressive to win that section of the electorate and he is now moving away from it. The dude is a centrist lib who played the left wing of the party.

But please keep telling yourself that there is a world where a progressive would use the word pinko.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 03:29:38 PM by CatoTheElder »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #8681 on: January 06, 2024, 05:26:02 PM »

He's spent the last couple months vigorously defending Israel's right to commit genocide. He's cooked.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #8682 on: January 06, 2024, 06:25:50 PM »
He's spent the last couple months vigorously defending Israel's right to commit genocide. He's cooked.

no way the twitter schizoposters will vote for him now, he's done for

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #8683 on: January 06, 2024, 09:24:31 PM »
no way the twitter schizoposters will vote for him now, he's done for

My work here is done, psyop complete

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8684 on: January 06, 2024, 09:47:22 PM »
Cooked how? I doubt his constituency really cares that much about a proxy wsr halfway around the world.

Tags: