Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644796 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #8580 on: October 20, 2023, 02:32:10 PM »
This guy:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715441677576376633

Apparently not an election denier, so already an improvement on Scalise and Jordan.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #8581 on: October 20, 2023, 05:20:25 PM »
Picking peanuts out of the excrement.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8582 on: October 20, 2023, 05:29:05 PM »
Picking peanuts out of the excrement.
Gaetz saying he'll do everything possible to oppose McHenry getting the job makes me want to see it happen out of spite.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8583 on: October 20, 2023, 05:34:30 PM »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #8584 on: October 20, 2023, 06:11:37 PM »
Gaetz saying he'll do everything possible to oppose McHenry getting the job makes me want to see it happen out of spite.

Would be hilarious for 5 of the moderates to call his bluff and say if he votes against a non-maga speaker, they will vote for Jeffries.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:13:27 PM by bojanglesman »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8585 on: October 20, 2023, 06:33:18 PM »
Would be hilarious for 5 of the moderates to call his bluff and say if he votes against a non-maga speaker, they will vote for Jeffries.
I'd laugh. He's just male Pelosi but I'd laugh.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8586 on: October 20, 2023, 07:06:05 PM »

It would, but you'd have to find 5 moderates who aren't concerned about getting primaried next year because that's absolutely what would happen to any Republican who broke ranks and voted for a Democrat speaker.

Slightly more possible although still completely not possible would be the Democrats getting together and both nominating and voting for a moderate Republican who hates Trump (maybe Romney?), and then seeing if 5 Republican voters break for him. If they do then they get to further divide the GOP, if they don't then the narrative of the Republicans doing it to themselves becomes set in stone. They can't blame the Dems when the Dems actually offered a Republican speaker on a plate and they chose not to take it.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8588 on: October 24, 2023, 09:57:03 PM »
It would, but you'd have to find 5 moderates who aren't concerned about getting primaried next year because that's absolutely what would happen to any Republican who broke ranks and voted for a Democrat speaker.

Slightly more possible although still completely not possible would be the Democrats getting together and both nominating and voting for a moderate Republican who hates Trump (maybe Romney?), and then seeing if 5 Republican voters break for him. If they do then they get to further divide the GOP, if they don't then the narrative of the Republicans doing it to themselves becomes set in stone. They can't blame the Dems when the Dems actually offered a Republican speaker on a plate and they chose not to take it.
They will blame the Dems no matter what. Dems shouldn't nominate a GOP speaker. Republicans made this mess and now they have to clean it up. None of this is this speaker nonsense is the Dems' fault.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #8589 on: October 24, 2023, 11:35:20 PM »
Apparently not an election denier, so already an improvement on Scalise and Jordan.

You mean like Hakeem Jeffries?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8590 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:48 PM »

IIRC the democrats made this offer

There was 3 names on their list. Liz Cheney, Romney, and then some person whose name I've never heard of.

From a Democrat perspective with the current razor thin margins it makes a ton of sense for them to try to get a moderate in control, as it could shift the balance of power in their favor.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8591 on: October 25, 2023, 05:32:50 AM »
Emmer dropped his bid. It's this ahole, now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna122019

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8592 on: October 25, 2023, 03:14:39 PM »
A far right Christian fundamentalist.

https://newrepublic.com/post/176439/republicans-elect-mike-johnson-speaker-christian-election-denier

The Republican party really does know no bound to the levels of fuckwittery to which it is willing to stoop.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8593 on: October 25, 2023, 04:01:56 PM »
I miss Diocletian.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8594 on: October 25, 2023, 04:10:19 PM »
I miss Diocletian.

It's mostly his fault for failing to actually complete the job.

Tags: