Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645900 times)

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7830 on: August 16, 2022, 10:19:36 PM »
Keep your head up Liz you would-be scouser....you'll never walk alone....O.J. & Voltaire: you're in good company....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Tn8OMWhsc

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7831 on: August 17, 2022, 12:06:58 AM »
I freaking hate Liz Cheney but the thought of what will replace her is horrifying.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:17:57 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7832 on: August 18, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
“Michelle [Obama] always says, you know, ‘When they go low, we go high.’ No. When they go low, we kick them.  That’s what this new Democratic Party is about.”  - Eric Holder, Fmr US Attny Gen.

Sounds like a man who clearly has been dragged waaay too far to the center-right…….    ……right
LOL

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7833 on: August 20, 2022, 02:14:45 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7834 on: August 22, 2022, 01:56:11 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #7836 on: August 23, 2022, 07:08:45 PM »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7837 on: August 23, 2022, 07:21:03 PM »
Two Americas.

Far be it from me to defend this piece of excrement and his robber baron queynte wife...but no this is not an example of two Americas.

Do you know how many aggravated DWI's that I've come across in which the perpetrator doesn't spend another day in jail after lockup? For reference, the aggravated designation is for a BAC above .15

3 years probation sure, but even then assuming this was a misdemeanor, just regular run of the mill above .08 but below .15 DWI, its actually incredibly rare that I even have to have my clients eat 3 years probation.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7838 on: August 23, 2022, 10:09:01 PM »
3 years probation sure, but even then assuming this was a misdemeanor, just regular run of the mill above .08 but below .15 DWI,  it's actually incredibly rare that

I even have to have my clients eat 3 years probation.

mj could you ask one of them:  for a good Old-Fashioned should I go with bourbon or rye?      thx[/size

p.s.  freak mr. milkers

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7839 on: August 24, 2022, 07:22:29 AM »
mj could you ask one of them:  for a good Old-Fashioned should I go with bourbon or rye?      thx[/size

p.s.  freak mr. milkers

Delicious bourbon....brownest of the brown liquors. So tempting. What's that?! You want me to drink you?! But I'm in the middle of a trial!

The vast, vast majorities of my DWI pleas get accepted with my client admitting to drinking "three beers" like we're back in high school lying to our parents again.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7840 on: August 24, 2022, 07:50:12 AM »

3 years probation sure, but even then assuming this was a misdemeanor, just regular run of the mill above .08 but below .15 DWI, its actually incredibly rare that I even have to have my clients eat 3 years probation.

Legally speaking is that the difference between DUI and DWI?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7842 on: August 24, 2022, 05:17:06 PM »

Legally speaking is that the difference between DUI and DWI?

The terms are interchangeable basically for the same thing. In NY we have DWI's under the penal law which are classified as any operation of a motor vehicle with a BAC above a .08. In Florida, its the same BAC, same verbiage in terms of the statute , but they just call it driving under the influence, or DUI.

NY has different levels of charges for DWI's-anything between a .03 and .07 is a driving while ability impaired or DWAI (a violation, not a crime which is YUGE for people trying to avoid a record), anything at a .08 to a .17 is the classic misdemeanor DWI (the closer to an .08 the easier it is to argue towards the impaired either because of a bad calibration of the intoxilizer machine, too much time from police encounter to the test, or even something stupid like the client burped while the test was being administered and the more favorable a plea you're going to be offered) and anything from a .18 above is an aggravated DWI which is a freaking pain in the derriere if not impossible to get down to a violation from the misdemeanor.

The local prosecutors office used to have a hard and fast rule of not offering pleas to impaired violations off of dwi's in which the accused refuses a breath or blood test, but I'm finding lately if the client is really willing to hustle in terms of treatment and mitigation, that it's not as unattainable as it used to be. The problem with litigating these things, at least out in the island is unless you can really find a probable cause issue in terms of a bad stop, or bad search, once there's a reading its really hard to get that BAC out of the juries head, so refusing does invite litigation and the prosecutors are cognizant of it/want to create a culture of punishment for not complying with a request to take a test.

I'm assuming Paul Pelosi had no priors. Someone like him who's already in his late 70's with no priors? I wouldn't take 3 years probation unless the Judge made it clear that if I plan on litigating this case they will sentence them to a jail stint if I lose. I also wouldn't give a excrement about such a client eating a misdemeanor at that point in their lives (not like they have to worry about certain collateral consequences). Really I'd be looking to try and plea them to some sort of outpatient treatment for a misdemeanor conviction but a conditional discharge (no jail, no probation). The license consequences are what they are, there's nothing anyone can do about them, save get an acquittal.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7843 on: August 24, 2022, 07:41:23 PM »
The terms are interchangeable basically for the same thing. In NY we have DWI's under the penal law which are classified as any operation of a motor vehicle with a BAC above a .08. In Florida, its the same BAC, same verbiage in terms of the statute , but they just call it driving under the influence, or DUI.

NY has different levels of charges for DWI's-anything between a .03 and .07 is a driving while ability impaired or DWAI (a violation, not a crime which is YUGE for people trying to avoid a record), anything at a .08 to a .17 is the classic misdemeanor DWI (the closer to an .08 the easier it is to argue towards the impaired either because of a bad calibration of the intoxilizer machine, too much time from police encounter to the test, or even something stupid like the client burped while the test was being administered and the more favorable a plea you're going to be offered) and anything from a .18 above is an aggravated DWI which is a freaking pain in the derriere if not impossible to get down to a violation from the misdemeanor.

The local prosecutors office used to have a hard and fast rule of not offering pleas to impaired violations off of dwi's in which the accused refuses a breath or blood test, but I'm finding lately if the client is really willing to hustle in terms of treatment and mitigation, that it's not as unattainable as it used to be. The problem with litigating these things, at least out in the island is unless you can really find a probable cause issue in terms of a bad stop, or bad search, once there's a reading its really hard to get that BAC out of the juries head, so refusing does invite litigation and the prosecutors are cognizant of it/want to create a culture of punishment for not complying with a request to take a test.

I'm assuming Paul Pelosi had no priors. Someone like him who's already in his late 70's with no priors? I wouldn't take 3 years probation unless the Judge made it clear that if I plan on litigating this case they will sentence them to a jail stint if I lose. I also wouldn't give a excrement about such a client eating a misdemeanor at that point in their lives (not like they have to worry about certain collateral consequences). Really I'd be looking to try and plea them to some sort of outpatient treatment for a misdemeanor conviction but a conditional discharge (no jail, no probation). The license consequences are what they are, there's nothing anyone can do about them, save get an acquittal.

Two key things I took from this (genuinely informative) post:

1. DWAI exists and doesn't stand for Driving While Almost Impaired, which is disappointing; and

2. DWI/DUI requires a jury verdict, I always assumed it was something that was decided upon by a magistrate (it might be in Canada / the UK / Somalia / wherever, I've thankfully never had reason to find out).
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7844 on: August 25, 2022, 03:54:52 PM »
Ca. looking to eliminate gas-powered cars by 2035.  Good move, now get your infrastructure in place (including where the batteries are coming from).

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/25/1119381508/california-ban-gas-cars-2035

Tags: