Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645169 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7485 on: May 23, 2022, 06:31:35 PM »
Thread:

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1528808994084728834?t=HmTm08L9dw07rd2_IZeqOw&s=19

"Everything is terrible and nothing should change too much" is a perfect summation of a very prevalent and useless attitude among US voters

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7486 on: May 23, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
Thread:

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1528808994084728834?t=HmTm08L9dw07rd2_IZeqOw&s=19

"Everything is terrible and nothing should change too much" is a perfect summation of a very prevalent and useless attitude among US voters

I think it's both hysterical and severely depressing that 78% of Americans think they're doing well financially.

I'm sure much of the world isn't any better but Americans are financially illiterate freaking retards

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7487 on: May 23, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »
I think it's both hysterical and severely depressing that 78% of Americans think they're doing well financially.

I'm sure much of the world isn't any better but Americans are financially illiterate freaking retards

I think that context matters. "Doing well financially" is a wholly subjective thing, and one person's financial goals and challenges are entirely different to another's. "I'm making rent and putting food on the table every month with only one job" might be one person's huge leap forward, while "I'm going to have to put off doing the addition and keep my two year old car for another year because interest rates are terrifying me" is someone else's version of teetering on the edge of ruin.

I don't think that the table in that tweet is particularly informative or helpful, at least not in the way Badger thinks it is.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7488 on: May 23, 2022, 07:09:23 PM »
I think that context matters. "Doing well financially" is a wholly subjective thing, and one person's financial goals and challenges are entirely different to another's. "I'm making rent and putting food on the table every month with only one job" might be one person's huge leap forward, while "I'm going to have to put off doing the addition and keep my two year old car for another year because interest rates are terrifying me" is someone else's version of teetering on the edge of ruin.

I don't think that the table in that tweet is particularly informative or helpful, at least not in the way Badger thinks it is.

Of course it's Subjective, but you can be Subjective and wrong.

How many Americans don't think they're overweight?

How many people have to work until their deaths or retire in absolute poverty because they have literally nothing saved?

There's a fair amount of people who are some shade of okay.

But there's a lot more who are in dire circumstances

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7489 on: May 23, 2022, 07:27:21 PM »

How many people have to work until their deaths or retire in absolute poverty because they have literally nothing saved?

Why is it always weight or money with you?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7490 on: May 23, 2022, 07:36:23 PM »
Why is it always weight or money with you?

In this case it's because he posted a graph about money and the economy.

But in general I think health + finances are the two most important issues on a national level by a tremendous margin.

I'm much more interested in issues that severely impact 90+ % of the population, than the typical political nonsense where people are crying or outraged over some freaking nonsense that will impact 1 in 10,000 people.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:40:11 PM by dcm1602 »

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7491 on: May 23, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7492 on: May 23, 2022, 07:56:10 PM »

Sure, and I'm not disagreeing with your point. Rather I'm casting doubts on the relevance of the "data" being presented, which is (as far as I can tell) entirely driven by opinion and context, and not in any way normalized.

To me the most you can read from it is that a lot of people are saying "I'm doing OK by the standards I set for myself, but I recognise that a lot of other people are struggling". Which doesn't seem like an entirely unfair position, although it does raise one rather obvious statistical issue - if 20some % of people think they're not doing financially OK but over 50% of people think that other people are not, then clearly there's about 30% of people who say that they're doing OK but others think they aren't. Which then raises the question as to whether the issue is the self delusion of people who are struggling but think they aren't, or people assuming that others who are actually quite happy should be doing better.

There are a lot more questions and uncertainties in that tweet than there is anything of any real value.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7493 on: May 26, 2022, 08:18:33 AM »
Record turnout in Georgia's primary. So much for MuH sUpPrEsSiOn.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7494 on: May 26, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »
Record turnout in Georgia's primary. So much for MuH sUpPrEsSiOn.
Stacey's qualm has got the R-bomb

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7495 on: May 26, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7496 on: May 30, 2022, 04:58:52 PM »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7497 on: May 30, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/29/pelosis-husband-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui-in-california.html

More of those rules for thee but not for me shenanigans
Well, he did get arrested like everyone else. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7498 on: May 30, 2022, 06:28:41 PM »
Well, he did get arrested like everyone else. 

We'll see if he gets charged

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7499 on: May 30, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
We'll see if he gets charged
No worse than an athlete.

Tags: