Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645921 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7380 on: May 04, 2022, 07:31:22 AM »
Use it as a marketing tool and build public anger.

That's all they've done for the last 20ish years. Marketing and fundraising and funneling public anger into *maybe* getting elected and then doing nothing. Then they lose, blame people for not voting for them, and do it all again.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7381 on: May 04, 2022, 08:59:41 AM »
I’d bet a LOT of money that the SCOTUS leak was some self-righteous liberal SC clerk. I hope he/she gets caught and after all the hard work and achievement he/she realizes it was a major freak up!  No jail time or anything crazy but this person has a demonstrated inability to maintain confidence which is perhaps a lawyer’s highest responsibility. Makes him/her unfit to practice law in my view.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7382 on: May 04, 2022, 09:10:00 AM »
There's a history of this with this specific case. Last time the leak source wasn't even fired. He offered his resignation to the justice he clerked for by then Chief Justice Warren Burger allowed him to stay on as a clerk.

Interesting TIL.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/1096097236/roe-wade-original-ruling-leak
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7383 on: May 04, 2022, 09:11:13 AM »
That's all they've done for the last 20ish years. Marketing and fundraising and funneling public anger into *maybe* getting elected and then doing nothing. Then they lose, blame people for not voting for them, and do it all again.

Mark Kelly text message within 12 hours of the reported leak. Like freaking clockwork.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7384 on: May 04, 2022, 09:24:33 AM »
There's a history of this with this specific case. Last time the leak source wasn't even fired. He offered his resignation to the justice he clerked for by then Chief Justice Warren Burger allowed him to stay on as a clerk.

Interesting TIL.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/1096097236/roe-wade-original-ruling-leak
Interesting. TIL.  thx

edit: history aside, that person would still be the last person I'd consider hiring.  Confidence is sacrosanct. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:37:14 AM by delavan »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7385 on: May 04, 2022, 09:51:50 AM »
I’d bet a LOT of money that the SCOTUS leak was some self-righteous liberal SC clerk. I hope he/she gets caught and after all the hard work and achievement he/she realizes it was a major freak up!  No jail time or anything crazy but this person has a demonstrated inability to maintain confidence which is perhaps a lawyer’s highest responsibility. Makes him/her unfit to practice law in my view.
Have also heard it speculated that it might have been leaked by the other side in order to leak it now to lessen the impact when it actually get announced, especially when it comes to mid-terms. But nobody knows at all.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7386 on: May 04, 2022, 11:20:50 AM »
Have also heard it speculated that it might have been leaked by the other side in order to leak it now to lessen the impact when it actually get announced, especially when it comes to mid-terms. But nobody knows at all.
You could very well be right DS although with a 70% public disapproval rate I wouldn't put my money on 'red'.  My overall point was that absent of any left/right source considerations, it was an 'officer of the court' no-no.  A lawyer never--never--compromises 'in confidence'.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7387 on: May 04, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
I mean, I can't even believe this is a debate. This was unquestionably leaked in order to put public pressure onto what is supposed to be an independent judiciary. It was an appeal to the mob. You'd have to be really lacking in any sort of common sense to think otherwise.

As a former law clerk at a much much much much much lower level obviously, I could never imagine betraying my Judge's trust like this no matter how much I disagreed with what he was doing. Granted, my Judge also treated me better than any other boss I'll ever have. But still.

As del said, if you're capable of doing this, you're capable of totally taking a excrement on attorney-client confidentiality. To me, it's absolutely disqualifying in terms of practicing.

Then again, to my knowledge, Collinford Mattis has yet to be disbarred for throwing a freaking molotov at a cop car, so who knows. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7388 on: May 04, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »
You could very well be right DS although with a 70% public disapproval rate I wouldn't put my money on 'red'.  My overall point was that absent of any left/right source considerations, it was an 'officer of the court' no-no.  A lawyer never--never--compromises 'in confidence'.
I agree that that's the most likely scenario, but both sides have motivation to leak it.

Of course, the most important part is the consequences of "settled law" being overturned, not that someone leaked the document. The leak is part of the story, but not the main story.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7389 on: May 04, 2022, 01:15:01 PM »
Looks like Zuul and Vinz Clortho are preping SCOTUS for the coming of Gozer.

https://twitter.com/dildinewtop/status/1521900222410014720?s=21&t=vyq5au7xBwzXlHnW2BjB-w

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7392 on: May 04, 2022, 07:47:23 PM »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7393 on: May 04, 2022, 08:04:38 PM »
Did you see the video?

Please don't post a link to it

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7394 on: May 04, 2022, 08:35:03 PM »
He says he's not backing down. Good for him, why should he? It's OK to be gay or bi.

There are a lot of much better reasons why that queynte shouldn't be in any kind of position of power than he likes having naked fun times with his buds.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: