Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645486 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7365 on: May 03, 2022, 02:04:45 PM »
SCOTUS upset someone violated their right to make decisions in private.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1521298708180226062

You're delusional if you don't think this is a big deal.

First off yes I think then stripping abortion rights is reprehensible.

But this left wing idea of if people make decisions we don't like we should threaten to bear them to death and intimidate them is absolutely disgusting too.

This sequence of events will likely have significant consequences on the Supreme Court going forward and not in a good way.

Just because the Supreme Court made a bad decision doesn't mean more bad behavior and decisions are warranted

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7366 on: May 03, 2022, 02:11:35 PM »
You're delusional if you don't think this is a big deal.

But this left wing idea of if people make decisions we don't like we should threaten to bear them to death and intimidate them is absolutely disgusting too.

This sequence of events will likely have significant consequences on the Supreme Court going forward and not in a good way.

Just because the Supreme Court made a bad decision doesn't mean more bad behavior and decisions are warranted

For the love of whatever god you want to believe in, learn to read.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #7367 on: May 03, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »

1. Threatening and intimidating based on decisions you don't like is not a left wing idea

2. If it is reprehensible, and the majority of the country clearly agrees, but it's happening anyway, what do you think should be done to stop it?

3. The point of Cato's post is that a decision that ought to be made in private is now subject to unreasonable levels of scrutiny, similar to the decision around having an abortion. The SC being upset about their privacy in decision making as it intrudes on the medical privacy and decision making of countless individuals is ironic.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7368 on: May 03, 2022, 02:40:15 PM »
3. The point of Cato's post is that a decision that ought to be made in private is now subject to unreasonable levels of scrutiny, similar to the decision around having an abortion. The SC being upset about their privacy in decision making as it intrudes on the medical privacy and decision making of countless individuals is ironic.

Yes.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7369 on: May 03, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
1. Threatening and intimidating based on decisions you don't like is not a left wing idea

2. If it is reprehensible, and the majority of the country clearly agrees, but it's happening anyway, what do you think should be done to stop it?

1) yes it's true the left doesn't have a patent on it, but it has become their biggest weapon, and it unquestionably has been hijacked far more than the left than the right. I don't think this is so much an ideology concept rather a reflection of the political demographics (ie young people are far more vocal and or violent)

2) I think from a procedural standpoint the standpoint what the Supreme Court did wasn't unreasonable. From a bottom line outcome its horrendous. I think realistically abortion should've been addressed with some kind of amendment over the past 50 years as RVW was really a judicial activism stop-gap. But it was taken for granted and ignored. At this point I think the best solution would be for the left to push some kind of bandaid delaying the implementation of this chang due it being a massive change, while building public support for an amendment legalizing abortion nationally.  How feasible is this idk, but I do think you'll see a new support for the left from moderates because this is pretty freaking massive

3) the Supreme Courts ruling, while semantics, was more about the interpretation of the constitution than the legalization of abortion. Sure it's highly polarized because all the guys voting for it are likely bibliophile Republicans, but I do think the fundamental issue here is Federalism and or the constitution rather than "Should abortion be legal". And if you read Alitos opinion he does state as much. Again I understand that this issue is polarized so I see why people see it the way they do.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 03:34:10 PM by dcm1602 »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7370 on: May 03, 2022, 04:05:50 PM »
A lot of blue MAGA types have taken to condemning Snowden for leaking government info, I'd like to see the mental pretzels they make on the SCOTUS leaker. For the record, they're both good.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7371 on: May 03, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
The US has:

-The highest maternal mortality rate among industrialized countries
-No required paid maternity leave
-No continued birth mother care
-No universal maternity care
-No subsidized child care

No one opposing abortions actually gives a excrement about the fetuses after they are born.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7372 on: May 03, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »
The US has:

-The highest maternal mortality rate among industrialized countries
-No required paid maternity leave
-No continued birth mother care
-No universal maternity care
-No subsidized child care

No one opposing abortions actually gives a excrement about the fetuses after they are born.

There are between 600-800 maternal deaths a year in the United States with illicit substance abuse while pregnant being one of the most causitive variables.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7373 on: May 03, 2022, 04:35:46 PM »
There are between 600-800 maternal deaths a year in the United States with illicit substance abuse while pregnant being one of the most causitive variables.

Who ordered the non-sequitur? It's ready.

Or are you trying to claim that these women deserved to die?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7374 on: May 03, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
Who ordered the non-sequitur? It's ready.

Or are you trying to claim that these women deserved to die?

I'm suggesting that while it's a tragedy, that in terms of raw numbers there are countless much much more important issues people should be focusing on.

The amount of annual maternal deaths in the United isn't that much higher than the amount of Americans who die from deer each year.

Hell if you wanted to improve mortality/morbidity there are probably a million things that should be a bigger priority

I'm pretty sure that more people die during having sex, this doesn't mean that we should go invest in Holter monitors being stocked next to condoms
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:46:21 PM by dcm1602 »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7375 on: May 03, 2022, 04:53:40 PM »
And I'm not trying to suggest that maternal deaths aren't tragic, but if we became #1 in the world we'd be looking at saving something like 700 lives annually.

If our rate was comparable to some of the better EU/Canadian countries were looking at 300-400

And this is in a country of 350 million people

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7376 on: May 03, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7377 on: May 03, 2022, 06:15:13 PM »
Alito, Thomas, ACB, Kavanaugh, Gorsuch - who do you have dissenting?
B, I honestly don’t see Gorsuch going along with this and by extension Alito getting 5; instead he should ‘take five.’ 

The rest of this thread’s turned into shlt-stuffed haggis……   LGR!!!!   

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7378 on: May 04, 2022, 06:16:21 AM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7379 on: May 04, 2022, 07:24:01 AM »

I don't want to be the one to defend the left

But by all accounts there's absolutely freaking nothing they can do.

Use it as a marketing tool and build public anger. Best realistic scenario is you make the Republican brand so toxic that you have the opportunity to negotiate a new ammendment.

Best case scenario would be to get a super majority and shove a new ammendment down their throats, but that's extremely improbable. Unless this has a historically insane impact on the midterms

Tags: