Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645697 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7275 on: April 26, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »
Not entirely certain I understand everything here but it seems like this might be a significant snag in FL's plan to rescind RCID.

https://twitter.com/rumpfshaker/status/1518999915053080577?t=lwf_mrjAlCLXDDJSJMqErA&s=19
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #7278 on: April 27, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7279 on: April 27, 2022, 12:04:31 PM »
Elon will ride to the rescue.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7280 on: April 27, 2022, 03:34:47 PM »
The student loan cancellation buzz is like a bat signal going up to bring all the shittiest people out of the woodwork to oppose it

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7281 on: April 27, 2022, 04:34:09 PM »
If I'm reading the info correctly it looks like the Utah Dems are backing Evan McMullin instead of nominating their own candidate to oppose Mike Lee, in an "anyone but the current guy" move.

Unrelated, Marjie busting out this old gem:

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1519426271918186504?t=SEzH0TzTXKKikwFffgKKng&s=19
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7282 on: April 27, 2022, 09:06:18 PM »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7283 on: April 28, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »
The student loan cancellation buzz is like a bat signal going up to bring all the shittiest people out of the woodwork to oppose it
https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1519388083732594689?t=d6BLqDPteic_NS416V2iKg&s=19

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7284 on: April 28, 2022, 12:32:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1519388083732594689?t=d6BLqDPteic_NS416V2iKg&s=19
Lee completely missed the forest for the trees with his cynical, playing-to-the-crowd 'patronage' angle.  Many layers to this onion beginning with guaranteed loans giving in$titution$ the incentive to jack up tuition that outpaces inflation and the "racket" that's resulted from it.  For the percentage of those that take out a loan but do not complete their degree, they are doubly behind the 8-ball given their reduced earning power.   A slew of different angles to look at, e.g. (just spitballing), money back guarantees relative to earning power actualized vs. student debt accrued? 

My point is, putting someone behind the 8-ball in perpetuity's obviously the last thing higher learning should seek to accomplish yet at the same time, the non-college working stiff who balks at the idea of paying for someone else's debt should not be dismissed as the 'shittiest segments' of society.  There's a solution in between the current (and simplistic) all-or-nothing argument....beginning with tuition at the institutional end and the usury-like burdens placed on loanees.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7285 on: April 28, 2022, 12:37:59 PM »
My point is, putting someone behind the 8-ball in perpetuity's obviously the last thing higher learning should seek to accomplish yet at the same time, the non-college working stiff who balks at the idea of paying for someone else's debt should not be dismissed as the 'shittiest segments' of society.  There's a solution in between the current (and simplistic) all-or-nothing argument....beginning with tuition at the institutional end and the usury-like burdens placed on loanees.

Pundits and politicians against it are shitty. Working class people against it are merely ignorant.

Nobody is suggesting debt cancellation as the only thing that needs to happen, but it's pretty much the only thing that can be done with a useless legislature. And there's no good reason not to do it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 12:40:45 PM by Badger »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7286 on: April 28, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »
Lol, yeah no.

Working stiffs or people who paid their way through college shouldn't have to subsidize some losers useless degree.

A loan was taken out. Pay it back.

There absolutely is a cogent and righteous argument to be made on students being charged a juice rate that would make a loanshark blush, but outright cancellation is the most hamfisted solution possible (not to mention doesn't address the further issue of college tuition being out of control because colleges run their schools like drunken sailors).

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7287 on: April 28, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »
Lol, yeah no.

Working stiffs or people who paid their way through college shouldn't have to subsidize some losers useless degree.

A loan was taken out. Pay it back.

There absolutely is a cogent and righteous argument to be made on students being charged a juice rate that would make a loanshark blush, but outright cancellation is the most hamfisted solution possible (not to mention doesn't address the further issue of college tuition being out of control because colleges run their schools like drunken sailors).

I'm a working stiff. I never went to university and I have paid a freak ton of tax over the years because I got lucky in my career, and I'm all in on student loan forgiveness (this isn't just a US issue). I will happily see my taxes go to ensure that kids coming out of university today do so unencumbered by the cost of their education.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #7288 on: April 28, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »
I'm a working stiff. I never went to university and I have paid a freak ton of tax over the years because I got lucky in my career, and I'm all in on student loan forgiveness (this isn't just a US issue). I will happily see my taxes go to ensure that kids coming out of university today do so unencumbered by the cost of their education.

That's because you're an empathetic grown-up who actually cares about his fellow citizens, young people, and the future well-being of his country and humanity in general.
But JE, have you even considered HoW wIlL wE pAy 4 IITTT?? Let's pretend that's a real issue when it comes to things our particular propagandists tell us not to really care about.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #7289 on: April 28, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »
Just get Elon Musk to pay for all the student debt.  Problem solved.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: