Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 644817 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #7245 on: April 16, 2022, 01:32:23 PM »
It was long before 2016 that everyone the left disagreed with was being called a Nazi

Do you ever have a post that isn't on brand?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7246 on: April 16, 2022, 05:57:46 PM »
Do you ever have a post that isn't on brand?

Pot calling kettle?

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7247 on: April 18, 2022, 04:59:30 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/14/elon-musk-twitter-bid-peak-billionaire/

So now Elon Musk wants to buy Twitter.
It wasn’t enough to loudly criticize the platform — on the platform — for not adhering to his personal standards.

It wasn’t enough to secretively buy a 9.2 percent stake in the social media company, becoming its largest individual shareholder. It wasn’t enough to accept an offer to join the company’s board (which provoked huge internal outcry from the company’s employees). It wasn’t even enough of a power trip for him to then reject that offer five days later.

He’s got to own it all!

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #7248 on: April 18, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/14/elon-musk-twitter-bid-peak-billionaire/

Can't make it up. The amount of idiocy that's come out of this from the usual suspects (Robert Reich, Max Boot) is to be expected, but it's still mind numbing.

Having said that, I really wish ole Lex Luthor over there would successfully use WaPo to apply enough PR pressure to get Woody to sell the freaking team already. We came close with that story about his time as ambassador!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #7249 on: April 18, 2022, 05:30:49 PM »
There's an obvious disconnect that is being missed and/or ignored which is that WaPo is just one of many media outlets, and that they all have a voice of varying degrees of bias, while Twitter is a platform for discourse upon which all are theoretically equally loud voices and there is no realistic alternative, so it's not really reasonable to compare the two.

But I've made my views on big tech and FATANG very clear before, so I'm not really going to put up a big fight on this because I think they're all freaking brutal and need to be dismantled. While I think Musk is a raging incel weirdo I also despise Dorsey for both similar and different reasons so it's not like he'd be taking a glorious and venerable institution and corrupting it. It's already a freaking cesspit.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7250 on: April 18, 2022, 07:09:59 PM »
- There's an obvious disconnect that is being missed and/or ignored
 which is that WaPo is just one of many media outlets, and that they all have a voice of varying degrees of bias, while

- Twitter is a platform for discourse upon which all are theoretically equally loud voices and there is no realistic alternative, so it's not really reasonable to compare the two.

But I've made my views on big tech and FATANG very clear before, so I'm not really going to put up a big fight on this because I think they're all freaking brutal and need to be dismantled. While I think Musk is a raging incel weirdo I also despise Dorsey for both similar and different reasons so it's not like he'd be taking a glorious and venerable institution and corrupting it. It's already a freaking cesspit.
The conceit and inimitable condescension never fails to amuse.   

Hardly.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #7251 on: April 18, 2022, 07:12:42 PM »
The conceit and inimitable condescension never fails to amuse.   

Hardly.

Conceit?

And if you think I was being condescending, maybe stop feeling so bad about being dumb. It's not your fault.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7252 on: April 18, 2022, 07:39:47 PM »
Conceit?

And if you think I was being condescending, maybe stop feeling so bad about being dumb. It's not your fault.

Easy killer.  The point being the goose gander single ownership was 'Wapo poo pooed' followed by a  personal opinion regarding Elon Musk as in who asked and who cares what your (irrelevant) personal opinion of him is.  I've no use for Elon Musk (and who cares); I was obviously calling attention to the double standard in play regarding ownership.  You in turn only played a highly partisan card here and emotionally at that you cantankerous dumbbell.   :-)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #7253 on: April 18, 2022, 08:08:55 PM »
Easy killer.  The point being the goose gander single ownership was 'Wapo poo pooed' followed by a  personal opinion regarding Elon Musk as in who asked and who cares what your (irrelevant) personal opinion of him is.  I've no use for Elon Musk (and who cares); I was obviously calling attention to the double standard in play regarding ownership.  You in turn only played a highly partisan card here and emotionally at that you cantankerous dumbbell.   :-)

I'm not sure it's really partisan when all I'm doing is calling out the difference between a social media platform and a media outlet. One employs people to write carefully curated content as part of a much larger landscape, the other is an open forum in which all content is created by its users. I don't really see a double standard at play unless you see WaPo as something other than a marketing organisation that exists to tell its subscriber base what they want to hear in the way they way they want to hear it in order to keep them subscribing, just like pretty much every other privately held media outlet.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7254 on: April 19, 2022, 02:30:08 PM »
First off let's get this outta the way.  Starting off a rebuttal with a smug assumption is going to engender suggestions to in effect get off one's high horse and in this case "there's an obvious disconnect that's being missed" reeked of 'you failed to grasp' or 'this escaped you.'  And this example earlier in this very same thread  http://www.thejetoffensive.com/index.php/topic,135.msg329701.html#msg329701 suggests it's habitual.  Additionally, following it up with the "feeling bad about being dumb" swipe came off as adorable, child-like petulance.   There's no wish to further belabor the point here so I'll bag it...

As for the Wapo/Twitter disconnect, traditionally (and technically) they are apples-to-oranges however Twitter unfortunately has become fixed in place in the news ecosystem thanks in no small part to journalists integrating tweets into their news stories.  Even worse, they present tweets as content versus the time-honored journalistic traditions and standards of scrutiny and strict verification.

Journalists don't come with a 'good housekeeping' certificate and their audience is under no obligation to confer authority to them.  Journalists' credibility (and authority if you will) is based on a track record of presenting rock solid standards of news gathering: identifying informational sources, vetting, interrogating, verifying and only then communicating them.  Twitter has helped corrupt that process by increasingly becoming embedded in the journalistic regimen.  In short, journalists are using tweets as content and this slippery slope increases the probability that tweets are now being used as ipso facto markers of ordained knowledge.  Journalistic principles of scrutinizing sources through verification is a keystone to a press’s mission statement. Content otoh is mere reproduction which allows journalists to pass responsibility for content verification on to the original publisher, i.e. lazy, he-said / she-said faux journalism.   The hard page break between Wapo and Twitter has been blurred to a fairly significant extent and whatever disconnect that existed between them is pretty much yesterday's news - journalists are now sucking off the tweet teat. 

That said Twitter has helped otherwise marginalized voices attract MSM visibility, e.g. the BLM movement, so it can and sometimes serve a useful purpose.  But even so, those voices are chosen from among a select cast of characters on Twitter who are adept at generating attention.  And together with that, by giving rise to certain selected voices (whether their message is accurately verified before "going to press" i.e. tweeted), this shift in journalistic practice shifts the public discourse in a way that does not benefit journalism in general, nor the public, or democracy.

TL:DR. -  guilty.

I am versed in inverted triangles, dash-30-dash pr closures, et cetera, et cetera...nothing was missed or ignored from this end...  ; )

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7255 on: April 21, 2022, 01:45:55 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/21/florida-set-to-dissolve-disneys-reedy-creek-special-district.html

Regardless of whether you think Disney was right or wrong for doing so. Their decision to get involved in politics is about to bite them in the derriere in a massive way.

Sure they'll still be one of the biggest most powerful corporations in the world, but these certainly are undesired repercussions.

(and regardless of whether Disney should have ever had these special permissions in the first place, I don't like the idea of Republicans retaliating against Disney either)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #7256 on: April 21, 2022, 01:48:31 PM »
I don't have any love for either of them, but I'm fairly sure Florida needs Disney more than Disney needs Florida.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #7257 on: April 21, 2022, 01:49:58 PM »
It would also clear ~$2 billion in debt for Disney if it went through.

With that said, it's political posturing that is going to be "reviewed" and probably not change the status quo within a year when a decision is supposed to actually be made. I wouldn't expect them to actually dissolve the district once everything is blown over but you never know.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7258 on: April 21, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
I don't have any love for either of them, but I'm fairly sure Florida needs Disney more than Disney needs Florida.

I don't know the financial logistics.

But how much money does Disney have invested into that location?

Sure they'd make an obscene amount of money selling the land, but presumably the cost for them to move location's and any downtime/overlap in property ownership would cost them tens of billions and then some.

This is a lose lose, and I think this may end up being one of the most stupid things DeSantis ends up doing.

FWIW Disney apparently cost 400 million to build in 1971. So with inflation, technology, and all the expansions. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest that a hypothetical Disney move would cost less than 20 billion. And probably much more than that. Especially if they wanted it in the civilized world, and not like freaking Oklahoma or some excrement
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:11:09 PM by dcm1602 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7259 on: April 21, 2022, 02:08:55 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/21/florida-set-to-dissolve-disneys-reedy-creek-special-district.html

Regardless of whether you think Disney was right or wrong for doing so. Their decision to get involved in politics is about to bite them in the derriere in a massive way.

Sure they'll still be one of the biggest most powerful corporations in the world, but these certainly are undesired repercussions.

(and regardless of whether Disney should have ever had these special permissions in the first place, I don't like the idea of Republicans retaliating against Disney either)

From your article:

According to lawmakers, there’s around $1 billion in debt on the balance sheet that taxpayers would become responsible for should the special district get absorbed, leading to higher taxes.

“No one wants to take that amount of debt up,” Linda Stewart, a democrat who represents Florida’s 13th senate district, told CNBC Wednesday. “None of this makes any sense. They just bit off way more than they can chew by trying to get the Reedy Creek district dissolved ... This is a major, major issue that I don’t think it will be, in the end, very successful.”

Taxpayers would also be on the hook for any municipal improvements that Disney currently pays for, including road work.

In 2019, for example, Disney’s Orlando neighbor Universal partnered with Orange County and the state to build a 1.7-mile extension to Kirkman Road between Carrier Drive and Universal Boulevard to accommodate the company’s new park Epic Universe.

That project cost an estimated $300 million, more than half of which Universal footed. The company paid $160 million, leaving Orange County to pay $125 million and the state to pay around $16 million.

The tab for similar projects at Disney could easily pile up.

Disney declined to comment on the legislature’s efforts, but the dispute is likely to end up in court, according to David Ramba, executive director of the Florida Association of Special Districts.

Ramba said he has dissolved a number of special districts, but never any that didn’t want to be dissolved and noted that “a lot of lawyers are going to get paid” as the parties work to sort out the operational implications of this bill.

Florida law dictates that special districts created by the legislature can only be dissolved with a majority vote of the district’s landowners. For Reedy Creek, that’s the Walt Disney Company.

“Nothing is going to happen,” said Jason Pizzo, a democrat who represents the state’s 38th Senate district, during the special session Wednesday. “Everyone in this room knows this is not going to happen. I’m just tired of missing my kid’s baseball games for stuff we know is not going to happen.”

Pizzo was among several state senators who spoke out against the bill ahead of the senate vote Wednesday. Many expressed frustration during discussion on the legislature floor, calling the legislation a “revenge bill” and “political theater.”

″[The governor] wants to prove a point,” Stewart said. “He wants to prove he’s more powerful, but I don’t think he’s more powerful than Disney.”

Tags: