Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 645785 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #6915 on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:30 PM »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #6916 on: January 22, 2022, 04:59:53 PM »
This seems like good news on a number of levels.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-plans-new-chip-manufacturing-site-ohio-report-2022-01-21/

Interesting that we all shipped semiconductor manufacture overseas in the last two decades (the company I spent 14 years working for in the UK and Canada at one time manufactured its own chipsets before spinning that part of the business off and buying in chips from the Far East) and now we're trying desperately to rebuild it domestically.

It sure does.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #6917 on: January 22, 2022, 05:02:07 PM »
Biden created the chip shortage by putting them in vaccines and forcing people to take them.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #6918 on: January 22, 2022, 05:05:14 PM »

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #6919 on: January 22, 2022, 05:07:41 PM »
Biden created the chip shortage by putting them in vaccines and forcing people to take them.
He did not - cut the chip

in any event, good news

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6920 on: January 22, 2022, 06:53:44 PM »
This seems like good news on a number of levels.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-plans-new-chip-manufacturing-site-ohio-report-2022-01-21/

Interesting that we all shipped semiconductor manufacture overseas in the last two decades (the company I spent 14 years working for in the UK and Canada at one time manufactured its own chipsets before spinning that part of the business off and buying in chips from the Far East) and now we're trying desperately to rebuild it domestically.

Isn't the issue still going to be precious metal's which are incredibly expensive and hard to come by.

I know China has one of the biggest mining operations in the world for that excrement, so regardless of us building chips here all the components are coming from overseas.

The biggest problem is that the largest untapped source of rare precious metals for microchips in the world happens to be in Afghanistan. And I believe some queynte handed that country to the Taliban who has been in negotiations with China about exploiting their literal trillions of dollars in precious metals.

So effectively buying electronics will be funding global terrorism as well as the rape, tortures, and murders of countless women.

But at least we will be making microchips in Ohio 🤷

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6921 on: January 22, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »
Isn't the issue still going to be precious metal's which are incredibly expensive and hard to come by.

I know China has one of the biggest mining operations in the world for that excrement, so regardless of us building chips here all the components are coming from overseas.

The biggest problem is that the largest untapped source of rare precious metals for microchips in the world happens to be in Afghanistan. And I believe some queynte handed that country to the Taliban who has been in negotiations with China about exploiting their literal trillions of dollars in precious metals.

So effectively buying electronics will be funding global terrorism as well as the rape, tortures, and murders of countless women.

But at least we will be making microchips in Ohio 🤷

All of the minerals needed for the production of chips are found in the Americas. The problem is that mining is dangerous and messy, which makes it expensive, and China has historically been less fussy about things like worker safety and environmental impacts. There's no reason that semiconductors can't be manufactured at scale in North America though, it just might be slightly less profitable. I imagine that Intel and others are now considering that a worthwhile trade off to reduce other risk factors that are apparent these days.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6922 on: January 22, 2022, 07:14:43 PM »
All of the minerals needed for the production of chips are found in the Americas. The problem is that mining is dangerous and messy, which makes it expensive, and China has historically been less fussy about things like worker safety and environmental impacts. There's no reason that semiconductors can't be manufactured at scale in North America though, it just might be slightly less profitable. I imagine that Intel and others are now considering that a worthwhile trade off to reduce other risk factors that are apparent these days.

I don't know anything about the process of harvesting and mining precious minerals. But can it be done using wind power and canola oil or whatever the freak source of energy is trendy these days?

I have to imagine that this process would not be popular with the people in power.

And again nothing changes the fact that a terrorist organization that  attacked NYC now controls the world's largest source of precious metals needed to manufacture these chips.

Is it too late to elect Dick Cheney? freak Iraqs oil, we want Afghanistans precious minerals

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6923 on: January 22, 2022, 07:23:17 PM »
I don't know anything about the process of harvesting and mining precious minerals. But can it be done using wind power and canola oil or whatever the freak source of energy is trendy these days?

I have to imagine that this process would not be popular with the people in power.

And again nothing changes the fact that a terrorist organization that  attacked NYC now controls the world's largest source of precious metals needed to manufacture these chips.

Is it too late to elect Dick Cheney? freak Iraqs oil, we want Afghanistans precious minerals

Mostly it's Alaska, Canada and South America. You're not going to have to ask permission to dig up the Bay Area to get germanium. But to answer your question, yes. Sustainable energy sources are a terrific idea.

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on Afghanistan. Are you actually upset that US forces didn't remain there indefinitely in order for you to have a slightly cheaper GPU?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6924 on: January 22, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »
I just enjoy how producing our own goods can't just be sold on its merits and has to be framed as competition with China. DeSantis did the same thing with his weird rambling announcement of signing a FL bill into law.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6925 on: January 22, 2022, 07:33:27 PM »
Mostly it's Alaska, Canada and South America. You're not going to have to ask permission to dig up the Bay Area to get germanium. But to answer your question, yes. Sustainable energy sources are a terrific idea.

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on Afghanistan. Are you actually upset that US forces didn't remain there indefinitely in order for you to have a slightly cheaper GPU?

Because you're praising the administration for this microchip nonsense, when they made microchips potentially the biggest source of revenue for global terrorism.

Having China get into Afghanistan probably makes microchips cheaper globally than if other countries were (as other countries wouldn't resort to china's level of exploitation presumably)

So no this isn't a Afghanistan situation bad because I want to save a few bucks.

This is Afghanistan bad, because I think the organization responsible for blowing up buildings in NYC getting TRILLIONS of dollars is a very bad thing, as that revenue will almost certainly be used to do bad things world wide
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:35:02 PM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6926 on: January 22, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »
Because you're praising the administration for this microchip nonsense, when they made microchips potentially the biggest source of revenue for global terrorism.

Having China get into Afghanistan probably makes microchips cheaper globally than if other countries were (as other countries wouldn't resort to china's level of exploitation presumably)

So no this isn't a Afghanistan situation bad because I want to save a few bucks.

This is Afghanistan bad, because I think the organization responsible for blowing up buildings in NYC getting TRILLIONS of dollars is a very bad thing.

I haven't said a single word about the administration other than a joke about Biden putting chips in vaccines. Appreciate you're looking for a scrap but this ain't it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6927 on: January 22, 2022, 07:36:58 PM »
I just enjoy how producing our own goods can't just be sold on its merits and has to be framed as competition with China. DeSantis did the same thing with his weird rambling announcement of signing a FL bill into law.

I don't know that I'd even especially see it as competition with China so much as removing dependencies on global supply chains that have demonstrated their fragility in the last couple of years.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6928 on: January 22, 2022, 07:39:39 PM »

(as other countries wouldn't resort to china's level of exploitation presumably)

Of course not. Now I'm gonna take a really big sip of water and open any book about underdeveloped resource-rich countries...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6929 on: January 22, 2022, 07:40:44 PM »
I haven't said a single word about the administration other than a joke about Biden putting chips in vaccines. Appreciate you're looking for a scrap but this ain't it.

The article you posted (which started off about Intel) went off on a tangent about Pelosi and Biden doing all these great things to increase chip production.

I assumed that was part of your praise as much as the Intel thing.

I probably was more argumentative than I would have liked. My bad

Tags: